SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the long weekend at my cousin's in Cochrane, and on Friday afternoon I made a point to take some pics of the town's "uptown" area (most people in Cochrane refer to it that way). Cochrane is a four hour drive North of North Bay and has a population of 5,500 -- although that figure was boosted when the town amalgamated with it's surrounding township. The population in the town itself is around 4,600 or so. It was downright HOT in Cochrane that day! Take note of the town's very wide main street -- it seems that the town was expected to grow into a major city when they layed out the uptown streets -- too bad that didn't come to pass.

Uptown Cochrane:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I will now take the time to brag that I've been on the Polar Bear Express to Moosonee (and, as a necessity, have been to Cochrane).

Thanks for sharing Softee.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
"Take note of the town's very wide main street -- it seems that the town was expected to grow into a major city when they layed out the uptown streets -- too bad that didn't come to pass."

Hmmm.. ORRRRRRrrrr they simply wanted room for wagons to turn around like in many really old towns, or they wanted street parking like in the above pics.....

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Yeah, towns with wide streets usually use the sides for Parking.

What surprises me more, is Cochrane has an uptown :O

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
That looks like an average, but nice town. Isn't Cochrane the birthplace of Tim Horton, the former Buffalo Sabre? For being a town in Northern Ontario, it looks quite flat in that downtown, at least. In my town, people refer to the downtown as UPTOWN too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep Jaybird, Cochrane is the birthplace of Tim Horton. Cochrane isn't really that bad, and probably would've been a big city, if Timmins hadn't gotten into the mining business and forestry so heavily. One big downside for Cochrane is the crappy golf course, but it's a pretty nice place, for a little dinky town. What's next, someone's going to go to KL and take some pics there? :hahaha:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Algonquin: perhaps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts