SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dallas- because for one- its proximity to downtown.

It's kind of too late for uptown Houston when it comes to pedestrian friendly neighborhoods. Let's just hope the Rivas project they're building in ut Houston kind of changes that.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
texasboy said:
definitely uptown dallas. new urbanist paradise.
wow, you went against Houston. if i'd bet on it, i'd be out some cash now. oh wait, this is "uptown."

-

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Uptown Dallas is more about human scale,. Most buildings are mixed-use of some kind, or residential. Very few office only buildings. Lots of beautiful, older renovated homes between the fancy new urbanist projects help keep the area's soul alive. Lots of small gallery space and unique restaurants and theaters as well. Even with the new shiny stuff, its very much a neighborhood's neighborhood with lots of smaller sections like Victory, LoMac, State-Thomas, Quadrangle and the West Village. Before it was annexed into Dallas, it was Dallas' freedmans town called Uptown North Dallas Freedmanstown. The old "slave" or "colored" cemetary is there, and there's even a monument to this.

The places aren't comparable I don't think. Dallas' Platinum Corridor(Galleria, Valley View, Preston Trails, Bent Tree, Addison Circle, etc) is probably the closest to Uptown Houston. Residential towers, some new urbanists pedestrian projects(Addison Circle, various townhome communities), business highrises, some mansion estate areas and large regional upscale shopping mall straddling a modern freeway that leads out and into the burbs. Both cities area's forming their own long, linear type skyline.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Not having seen Uptown Houston, I wouldn't vote. I can only say that Uptown Dallas is one of the principal reasons I ending up liking Dallas (when I thought I wouldn't), the time I visited a few years back.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Exactly what makes an "uptown"? Is it another business district set outside your primary downtown?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nic said:
Exactly what makes an "uptown"? Is it another business district set outside your primary downtown?
Real estate agents. Sounds classy.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sleepy said:
Real estate agents. Sounds classy.
Hey, maybe we have a misunderstanding, but I am serious. There is nothing in Austin referred to as an uptown, so I do not know what the characteristics are that make one. I have seen pics of other cities, and it appears to just be another skyline; is that all there is to it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nic said:
Hey, maybe we have a misunderstanding, but I am serious. There is nothing in Austin referred to as an uptown, so I do not know what the characteristics are that make one. I have seen pics of other cities, and it appears to just be another skyline; is that all there is to it?
Actually, the area between 14th and MLK and Rio Grande and Colorado is known as Uptown Austin, but it just takes on a different character than the two others. The Market District will probably be more like Uptown Dallas.

Uptown Dallas has a character that is unmatched in many US cities. I want to live there someday (provided Texas changes some things.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Houston-Good for cars

Dallas- better for pedestrians

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nic said:
I dunno why some cities call them Uptown. Dallas' reasons are simple:
a.)North of downtown. North = up, South = down, just like in NYC.
b.)The old name was Freedman's Uptown North Dallas before it was part of the actual city of Dallas.

I think the word Uptown simply became something trendy again in the 80s. Blame it on Billy Joel if you must.

I can't really think of an Austin equivalent of Dallas' Uptown. Just two different cities all around.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
yeah, uptown dallas by a mile. i live in upstown houston and apart from a few really tall buildings, it is overly car dependent and nothing really spoectacular to look at. but then again, upstown dallas is practically on top of downtown like our midtown. uptown houston is a few miles away.

uptown as seen from downtown:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts