SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

56,276 Posts
Halifax

Population: 417,847 (2015)

Relaxing in the Park by Rodney Hickey, on Flickr
They did a terrific job refurbishing that old fountain. It's located in the Victorian era 'Public Gardens' in downtown Halifax. I've spent many days in that place. Here's an aerial. The red roof is a bandstand. In the pond floats a replica of the Titanic. The majority of Titanic victims plucked from the sea are buried in Halifax.

Courtesy of the Halifax Public Gardens

56,276 Posts
One of the best threads in the photo section. Canada is renown for its spectacular landscapes but there's also an astonishingly large selection of great cities for a country of only 36 million.

56,276 Posts
Thought I'd add a city not featured yet.

Saint John, New Brunswick

Population: 126,900 (2015)

Courtesy of Stanzmastertron3000

56,276 Posts
Many people in the world are not familiar with Canada. Some of them think that we all live in igloos :)

At least with this thread, I hope they discover something new about Canada.
People draw a blank when you say Canada so they just latch on to the few things they know exist here like hockey and maple syrup. The problem gets compounded because everything from Canada gets re-branded as American overseas. They just assume if it's from north America, that it's American in origin. We're this massive but largely invisible country.

That happens when I travel abroad too. When they ask me where in America I'm from, I usually just say the Canadian part.

56,276 Posts
Winnipeg

Population: 793,428 (2015)

Courtesy of Anthony Fernando

Courtesy of the Independent

Courtesy of markosun

Courtesy of Tourism Winnipeg

Courtesy of enroute

56,276 Posts
Would that 3rd photo be northeast of the CBD or northwest of it. I'm assuming that's the Bow River. I like the Calgary Stampede photo too. It's on my bucket list.

56,276 Posts
I was in Canmore last summer. It's not as famous or high end as Banff but still a great little town.

56,276 Posts
Toronto

Population: 6,129,934 (2015)

Yonge Street (But in 30 minutes you can be on the Islands or Scarborough Bluffs: all within city limits!)

Courtesy of Taller, Better

Scarborough Bluffs
Rebecca by l.seto, on Flickr

Skyline from the Islands
Toronto islands church by Nicoli OZ Mathews, on Flickr

More Scarborough Bluffs

by Anton Mamine, on Flick

56,276 Posts
I love Canadian chateau style. I wish Canada had experimented more with that architecture. Buildings like the Chateau Laurier and Banff Springs scream 'Canada' to me. It's a mash up of Scottish baronial and French chateau. It was a result of the demographic makeup of Canada back then. Those big railway hotels were built to encourage tourism and mirror the majesty/grandeur of the geography. It succeeds in spades.

56,276 Posts
Ottawa

Population: 1,332,001 (2015)

Changing of Guard at Parliament by Hanxi, on Flickr
Being born in London UK I always associated this uniform with England but it's been strongly influenced by Canada. These guys and their counterparts in London use a hat made from Canadian black bear. Canada borrowed the red coat from England though.

Now that I've been living here so long, I now associate this uniform with Canada rather than England. :|

56,276 Posts

56,276 Posts

56,276 Posts

56,276 Posts
Calgary

Population: 1,439,756 (2015)

Howdy partner, it's the Calgary Stampede!

Courtesy of vacay

Courtesy of the Calgary Stampede

Courtesy of amazonaws

Courtesy of avenuecalgary

Courtesy of the CBC

Courtesy of indianvillage

Courtesy of familyfuncanada

56,276 Posts
Regina

Population: 241,422 (2015)

Courtesy of canadaqcc

Courtesy of unworthydominanceofregina

56,276 Posts
I've sat at that bend at the Canadian Grand Prix. Only been once but Montreal race week is a lot of fun.

56,276 Posts
Hope you don't mind 'ainvin' but I found a great little video showcasing a portion of Yonge Street in Toronto. It starts north of downtown at St. Clair and drives straight south all the way to the lakeshore. It's offers one a good glimpse into the feel of downtown Toronto:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.