SkyscraperCity banner

Gentrification

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are gentrified areas within an urban area a good thing - or are they social barriers to the proletariat?

Discuss

·
Banned
373 Posts
This goes beyond architecture and urbanism... there are lots of sociological, political and economical factors to take into account to decide if an urban reform will provoke a lower-class exodus, in or outside the city, and alter dangerously the costs of living, or if it will work as a positive catalyst to regenerate an urban environment...
if you provoke a depopulation of a certain area, you have to be aware that this sector of citizens -usually working-class families-, will probably form other ghettos somewhere else in the city, and you'll only be transfering the problem to another area, but not resolving it..

it really depends of each its case... sometimes it may work, even surpass the initial predictions and expectatives, but it can happen the other way around too...
Its a complicated business, and a pretty dangerous one, usually its used as a political strategy to win some votes and play macroeconomics rahter than a deep human concern to improve the quality of life of the people of impoverished areas. Fortunately, when its well done, its worth the economical effort.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think groups of people with different backgrounds should mix up in a city. They can learn from each other and understand the different cultures. When people live seperated from each other they form single-etnic groups. They will have fear for the unknown and this results in tensions between groups, because people feel better about their own group than the others.
So mix it up!

·
Banned
373 Posts
Kuesel said:
^I agree. But I live in a a very mixed city in all neighbourhoods - less impressive but better live quality :)
but that's exactly why a process of gentrification can be pretty dangerous, at least if its a forced and quick operation and not a natural and lenghty one, though this last one do not resolve the conditions and life quality of the lower-class people per se if the administration don't act accordingly to their necessities..

to have a mix of classes in just one area you must attend the demands of all of them social groups, and adjusting the costs of living for both the middle (upper and lower) class and the working-class its pretty difficult.. usually, prices will rise up, and the lower class will be forced to move elsewhere...

but then, the process can balance the quality of life for both groups succesfully too...
however, the first examples I can think of, at least where I live, aren't that succesful... one needs (long) time to judge if a certain reform have propelled or not the economy of a particular district or zone..

·
Registered
102 Posts
overall i feel gentrification is a positive thing. exceptions to this would be such instances where distinctive and otherwise thriving neighborhoods are gentrified ... resulting in the loss of the same character that made the neighborhoods desirable to begin with. for instance ... though it is far from beautiful ... it would be a shame to see south philly gentrified. another negative is that it would seem that the process of gentrification simply pushes the societal ills of the lower classes further out into the urban hinterland. section 8 housing subsidies seem to have had the effect of turning apartment and townhouse complexes built in the 70s and 80s into free-market versions of the 'parks' and 'projects' that are being razed downtown to be replaced by upscale housing. again, this may be viewed as a positive thing: providing more and more of a better standard of living for those less financially able. but it also serves to make once desirable neighborhoods into less desirable and in many cases crime ridden ones. i dunno ... it's a mixed bag regardless.

·
Registered
830 Posts
^^^"overall i feel gentrification is a positive thing."^^^

Judging by your avatar and this comment (pulled out of context), you must be a man of many contradictions!

Damn it, some neighbourhoods are so scummy that gentrification is definately a beautiful thing. However, many artist's colonies and magnets for immigrants fall victim to gentrification. The character of the neighbourhood changes and it turns into a Disneyfied parody of itself.

As was stated before, sweeping generalizations do this topic little justice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Judging by your avatar and this comment (pulled out of context), you must be a man of many contradictions!

aren't all human identities composed of barely coexisting contradictions. nor do i see where my choice of avatar has anything to do whatsoever on my views on gentrification

Damn it, some neighbourhoods are so scummy that gentrification is definately a beautiful thing. However, many artist's colonies and magnets for immigrants fall victim to gentrification. The character of the neighbourhood changes and it turns into a Disneyfied parody of itself.

isnt that what i said in my previous post?

um ... what sweeping generalization? if you're referring to the fact that i refuse to be polarized in a situation where a broad-based understanding is necessary, then yes ... i was being general ... the human environment is too complex an entity to be adequately addressed by polarized opinions or thought processes.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
830 Posts
r2 said:

aren't all human identities composed of barely coexisting contradictions. nor do i see where my choice of avatar has anything to do whatsoever on my views on gentrification

isnt that what i said in my previous post?

um ... what sweeping generalization? if you're referring to the fact that i refuse to be polarized in a situation where a broad-based understanding is necessary, then yes ... i was being general ... the human environment is too complex an entity to be adequately addressed by polarized opinions or thought processes.
[/QUOTE]

Chill, I was just trying to make light of the situation and wasn't personally commenting on what you wrote. I apologize for any misunderstanding, dude.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Chill, I was just trying to make light of the situation and wasn't personally commenting on what you wrote. I apologize for any misunderstanding, dude.[/QUOTE]

hahhah ok ... its all good. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts