Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading for a study trip, the theme would be 'Urban Humanity'. I'm not quite sure about the definition yet, but it would be best described as a city with a human scaled development, concerning most for the comfort of the people, simply like when you can walk in a pedestrian ways freely, find a mass transportation easily, and so on. It's not an easy theme, very vary on the definition, but it's easy to break it down to some sub-themes like housing, transportation, land use, and so on.
To be my question, is Macau and Guang zhou representative for the theme, urban humanity? Is there any system that make the city inhumane for people? For instance, traffic jam? flood in rainy season?
I also heard about the land ownership, is that true that people there, they cannot own a house, by means every properties belongs to the government? Is that inhumane for people there or not?
Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Urban Humanity

Ayuku:

In my view, by world standards, Macau is a very humane place to live. Public transportation is crowded but readily available and inexpensive, unemployment is low, wages are adequate to live and thrive. Clearly there is a wide disparity between the upper and lower class as is the case in all parts of the world. Public safety is good--crime is low. Home ownership is available to all but likely only the top 50% can afford it. Public education is very good and university is relatively affordable to anyone with the aptitude and ambition. Macau is not Singapore but it is a very livable place. The Macau government is very supportive of its citizens. There are very few welfare giveaways but lots of government support for those who are willing to put effort into their own advancement.

Regarding Guang Zhou, it would be a good comparison to Macau. I think you would find Macau to rank much higher in urban humanity than Guang Zhou primarily due to Macau’s small size and prosperity. Macau has the benefit of government income from the gaming industry which it generally uses wisely to benefit all of its citizens.

Glidewide

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. I heard that in China, land ownership is forbidden by the government, is that true?
What makes it so expensive for the citizen to afford a land ownership? Is that because of the price is controlled by the market?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ayuku:

Land ownership by private persons is permitted in China as are other forms of real estate ownership including apartment units, commercial buildings etc. In most places the land is leased from the government and the buildings are owned, in others the land and buildings are owned. Prices are high due to market demand and because many persons invest in real estate as an investment. The central government has tried to limit price increases of real estate by changing bank reserve requirements and the percentage of borrowed funds permitted. This has slowed the price increase some.

I don't have much information on Guang Zhou. I have only visited a few times. It is a large city and a major distribution center for the region.

Glidewide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts