Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Lebanese
156 Posts
why do we need to plant palm trees anyway ??? they're hideous and not made for Beirut ... why can't we for once choose some other type of trees ??????????

·
Lebanese
156 Posts
Beiruti, they would have been great if they were green and taken care of, all i see is yellow pale trees which don't even add any greenery to the city, which is kind of sad.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Just to throw it out there, these types of trees have a yellowing period in their life cycle, and its usually because of weather. You cannot reverse the yellowing because its a slow uptaker of nutrients and pruning it would likely kill it too.

So why you see a lot of these trees yellowing in a row is because ones on the same street were planted at the same times so they are going through the same lifecycles as the others. Some are pretty old too and the amount of green is subdued by the amount of dead material that is on the top of the trunk

What would be nice is pruneable trees on these narrow streets. They offer more shade, are a lot more green and they can be cut in any shape to avoid them from getting in the way of buildings, people and cars

·
Lebanese
156 Posts
Courtesy of Soufi83
Taken August 3, 2010

King Fahed Park:

Fair Park:

My question is why on the planet earth can't we have grass between those trees... like in this picture for instance

it's just hideous to leave a boulevard like this and it's like that everywhere in Lebanon ...........

·
Libano Cinéphile
620 Posts
Well... do we have enough water to spend on consistently watering our boulevards and lawns ?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I would hope we never put grass.. Grass is an unnatural ecosystem, if we are going to landscape lets make it at least habitable for insect species and anything else that wants to live there.

Small flowers would be key, or mid/tall sized grasses (ie. real grasses, not ones on ppls lawns). Bushes would be the best though.

I live in a place called Forest City... its true its covered in trees.. But the fact we are called forest city is a fallacy, the trees are separated and in between them runs grass. What kinds of organisms are really living in these areas? The answer is nothing but flies. The more we add of "real" plants, the better

·
Lebanese
156 Posts
Yea you are right Ramy ... flowers would be the best addition, but I didn't want to go too far with my dreams, I mean this is still Lebanon after all hehe, the only place where we have flowers on the boulevard is Downtown, and it looks just great...
But since i am sure what happens in downtown doesn't happen anywhere else, i thought that covering those ugly spaces with grass would be better than just leaving them like that, and by grass i don't mean the grass that we have on boulevards such as " tari2 l matar " u know the one that grows a lot and has a very dark unpleasant color, but rather i meant grass like the one in the picture i posted, small light and well maintained ...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
^^ okay that would be the worst... its fake and can host no ecosystem lol.

Cities in Lebanon are so behind in landscaping, its so sad. The day3a's (vast majority I have been too) are lined with trees and partitioned roads with bushes or roses. As far as cities go, I think only Saida plants these stretches of roads with flowers (that they change frequently, annuals in the summer.. poinsettias in the winter etc)

Also just an aside, grass requires more upkeep than other plants. Its a huge nitrogen user and water *****... flowers would be more cost-effective. I think grass is more a dream than flowers/bushes lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts