Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Those were all in the mid-eighties in the Cathedral Hill area of St. Paul

Now:

·
Registered
471 Posts
St Paul is beautiful. Theres nothing much more that can be said.

RG House (nothing of magnitude here, but just a symbol/motif that anything in this city can be turned around.

a couple months ago...

shit, i'll post some more after i finish some errands

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
Walking around it today it is hard to believe Cathedral Hill was once a ghetto. It is easily the most beautiful neighborhood in the Twin Cities.

Back then I was terrified riding the bus through there. You would hear gunshots off in the distance sometimes. I saw all sorts of crazy things. There was a day in the late 80's where they raided 15-20 crack houses paramilitary style, all within 5 blocks of where these pictures were taken.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I think urban renewal is the wrong term, as urban renewal would have demolished the neighborhood and started from scratch. (Usually less dense, suburban-style housing or light industry)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wow awesome renovation job there. I looked at the pics in the beginning, and I thought 'ugly' EXCEPT for the building called Blair Arcade in the later ones. Those buildings from the late 1800s can be so damned beautiful, just look at all the detail arould the windows and near the roof. Congratulations to St. Paul for this one!!!

I see 'Frank P. Blair' Wasn't he a Senator from Missouri had something to do with Civil War???

I got it I Wikipediaed it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_P._Blair,_Jr.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
hudkina said:
I think urban renewal is the wrong term, as urban renewal would have demolished the neighborhood and started from scratch. (Usually less dense, suburban-style housing or light industry)
^Exactly. These pics show successful rehab & reuse of old buildings. Urban renewal usually implies mass clearance of urban land to make way for new development. It was most prevalently used in the 1950s and '60s, when slums were cleared and replaced by highrise public housing projects. They called it "urban renewal."

Great pics though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know where all the poor people that used to live in this area went?

I mean, have other neighborhoods in MSP gotten worse because this one has gotten much nicer? For instance, has University Ave gotten much worse in the past 10 years or so?

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
nath05 said:
Does anyone know where all the poor people that used to live in this area went?
Frogtown and Midway mostly, I think. Although neither are nearly as bad as Cathedral Hill/Selby-Dale was (and are better than they were 20 years ago). I've lived in Frogtown since 1992, it is much calmer now than it was back then. In 1993 there were two drive by shootings on my block, I use to hear gunshots every day, now it is about once a year. The economic boom of the '90s really helped the poorer neighborhoods in St Paul. That coupled with the near eradication of the old neighborhood gangs has made the old school ghettos more or less a thing of the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts