SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternative thread to waterless cities. Which cities have more than one waterway?

Here's my list (correct me if I'm wrong; and add on to):

New York: East River, Hudson River, Harlem River, New York Bay, Atlantic Ocean, LI Sound

San Francisco: SF Bay, Golden Gate, Pacific Ocean

Chicago: Lake Michigan, Chicago River

Boston: Mass Bay, Charles River

Pgh: Ohio, Allegheny, and Susquehana Rivers

Philadelphia; Delaware and Schlykill Rivers

DC: Potomac and Anacosta River

Milw: Lake Michigan and Milw Rive

Cleveland; Lake Erie and Cauyahoga River

New Orleans: Miss River, Lake Ponch

Seattle: Puget Sound, Lake Wash

Portland: Wilamette and Columbia Rivers

SD: SD Bay, Pacific Ocean

LA: LA River, Pacific Ocean

Detroit: Detroit R, Lk St. Cl

Baltimore: inner harbor (forgot the name of the river it is attached to), Cheasepeake Bay

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
OUR BALTIMORE GEOGRAPHY LESSON OF THE DAY

Not to nit-pick, but in the interest of accuracy I will say this. Baltimore City does not touch what you would consider to be the Chesapeake Bay proper. It is built totally around the Patapsco River which has 3 large branches. All of the branches can accommodate deep water shipping, and Baltimore is the furthest inland port with a 50 foot deep shipping channel. It is over 300 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.

In the above graphic, the Inner Harbor is located at the end (botom) of the road labeled Interstate 83. The Patapsco River is a tidal river of the bay which would be reached by going to the right of the above graphic.

·
Mostly Sane
2,326 Posts
The furthest inland international seaport, Duluth, Minnesota is built on Lake Superior and the St. Louis River.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Milwaukee is actually situated at the confluence of three rivers (Milwaukee, Menomonee and Kinnickinnic) and Lake Michigan. Milwaukee was actually built on these 3 rivers and the lake; the city did not just grow towards the other rivers.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Columbia, SC sits at the junction of the Saluda and Broad rivers that forms the Congaree River.

Charleston, SC has the Ashley and Cooper rivers and the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Miami was built on 3 waterways at the same time. Biscayne Bay, Miami River and the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Registered
435 Posts
St. Louis: Missouri and Mississippi Rivers
Kansas City: Missouri and Kaw Rivers
Correction: The city of St Louis is not located on any portion of the Missouri River.
St Louis County is, yes. But I believe the topic was "which cities have more than one waterway", not metro areas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Minor correction
Boston is built on three bodies of water:

Charles river - not navigable by large ships, pleasure craft only
Mystic River - navigable by large ships with major port facilities
Boston Harbor - large port facilities

·
Paradise Island
3,709 Posts
The Twin Cities are built at the confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers. The Minnesota is actually navigable for a long distance upstream.

·
お好み焼き!
168 Posts
If your going to include the whole Bay Area then might as well include San Pablo bay, Suisun Bay, and the Sacramento River Delta. Golden Gate isn't a waterway, its just the strait that connects the bay to the ocean

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just about any city in Louisiana will have multiple waterways within the city limits (even in northern Louisiana). Shreveport is on the Red River and Cross Lake. Monroe is on the Ouachita River and Bayou DeSiard.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts