SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Democrats find a leader to take the Presidency and Government in 2024 ?
Will they come from the list of 2020 candidates or will it be a new person who can convince US citizens the Democrats have taken a new road, one they can dare to follow.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Red Baron does jest and thinks Trumpy is a shoo in in 2020. Politics is pretty partisan in the US so expect the usual Red and Blue States to vote the same as usual but not sure on the likes of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania just yet for 2020 let alone 2024. Trump still has plenty of time yet to stuff up the World economy pushing China in his trade wars too far.

·
Registered
804 Posts
^^ His China policy? Notice how most Dem's are silent about it? Heck, even psychic energy espouser, Marianne Williamson actually said that is the one thing that Trump is doing right. They ALL know China has been taking the US for a ride for a very long time.

No Andy - if THrump goes down, it won't be due to his foreign policy and China policy.

·
In the sweetspot
9,046 Posts
^^ His China policy? Notice how most Dem's are silent about it? Heck, even psychic energy espouser, Marianne Williamson actually said that is the one thing that Trump is doing right. They ALL know China has been taking the US for a ride for a very long time.

No Andy - if THrump goes down, it won't be due to his foreign policy and China policy.
Including the bit where Trump keeps repeating that China pays the tariffs he is putting on China (and not the Americans buying Chinese imports)?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

I agree that China via the theft of intellectual property etc is taking the West for a ride for the last few decades but this is after the West exploiting and bullying China for over a century. I can't see a modern super power like China backing down so it is the unintended consequences of this trade war that leads to a Global recession that concerns me and should concern Trump. The rise of populism, isolationism, nationalism and protectionism around the world is no friend of trade and commerce.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree that China via the theft of intellectual property etc is taking the West for a ride for the last few decades but this is after the West exploiting and bullying China for over a century. I can't see a modern super power like China backing down so it is the unintended consequences of this trade war that leads to a Global recession that concerns me and should concern Trump. The rise of populism, isolationism, nationalism and protectionism around the world is no friend of trade and commerce.
How far do you want to go back? The West exploiting them for a century? You mean, Japan invading them and annexing Shanghai, perhaps?

You're conflating globalism with China screwing the rest on trade.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How far do you want to go back? The West exploiting them for a century? You mean, Japan invading them and annexing Shanghai, perhaps?

You're conflating globalism with China screwing the rest on trade.
The Chinese go back to 1839 till 1949 with what they consider to be the "Century of Humiliation". They view it as the period of intervention and imperialism by Western powers and Japan in their Nation. Events such as First Opium War (1839–1842) by the United Kingdom that ceded Hong Kong to the British and forced open five treaty ports to international trade. There is the Unequal treaty (name given by the Chinese to a series of treaties signed with Western powers during the 19th and early 20th centuries by Qing dynasty China after military attacks or military threats by foreign powers). The Taiping Rebellion, Second Opium War, Sino-French War, Eight-Nation Alliance suppressing the Boxer uprising, British invasion of Tibet along with the various Japanese invasions. To try and understand modern China it requires an analysis of its Century of Humiliation and how it leads to their current motivations and psyche, they will not allow Trump to bully them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.