Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foreign Born Residents as Perentage of Total Population, 2005
20.0% or higher(1 Million+ Metros in Bold)

1 Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 36.5%
2 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 35.6%

3 El Centro, CA 34.7%
4 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 34.7%
5 Salinas, CA 30.4%
6 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 29.5%
7 McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX 29.0%
8 Laredo, TX 28.6%
9 New York-Northern NJ-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 27.9%
10 El Paso, TX 27.1%
11 Merced, CA 26.0%
12 Brownsville-Harligen, TX 24.8%
13Yuma, AZ 24.2%
14 Stockton, CA 23.5%
15 San Diego, CA 23.4%
16 Fresno, CA 22.6%
17 Visalia-Porterville, CA 22.3%
18 Naples-Marco Island, FL 21.8%
19 Santa Barbara-Santa Maria, CA 21.8%
20 Riverside-San Bernardino, CA 21.6%
21 Houston-Sugarland-Baytown, TX 21.4%

22 Hanford-Corcoran, CA 20.7%
23 Oxnard-Ventura, CA 20.7%
24 Bakersfield, CA 20.3%
25 Modesto, CA 20.3%
26 Gainesville, GA 20.1%

All Metros can be accessed through the link below...

http://factfinder.census.gov/servle...er=geoselect&-geo_id=&-format=US-35&-_lang=en

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
if you break it down by county Miami's figure goes even higher:

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL Metro Area:
36.5%

Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, FL Metro Division:
29.8%
Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL Metro Division:
50.3%
West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach, FL Metro Division:
20.4%

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
I think Miami's rank at the top of this list may cause some misinterpretations. Yes Miami's got a huge foreign born population, but this group is undoubtedly dominated by latinos. If you look further down the list you'll see San Diego and San Francisco, which may not have the same percentage of foreign born citizens, but are not dominated by any one ethnicity.

So Miami. High foreign population? Yes. Diverse? Not necessarily.

·
Banned
579 Posts
I think Miami's rank at the top of this list may cause some misinterpretations. Yes Miami's got a huge foreign born population, but this group is undoubtedly dominated by latinos. If you look further down the list you'll see San Diego and San Francisco, which may not have the same percentage of foreign born citizens, but are not dominated by any one ethnicity.

i knew an idiot like u would say something stupid, wether miami is diverse or not in non of your business, if u hate miami, suck it up and dont give does comments.

thanks, kevin :)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts

well the list is about foreign born not diversity and latinos are not a monolithic undiverse group either.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
well the list is about foreign born not diversity and latinos are not a monolithic undiverse group either.

Very true.. Latinos or Hispanics could be people of any race basically.

·
6,477 Posts
Let's be real, at least a plurarlity of Miami's hispanics are of Cuban ancestary, in the same way a plurality (maybe even a majority) of SoCal's hispanics are of Mexican ancestary. Hispanics are hardly a monolithic group, but as with any national identity, those of the same nation tend to stick together. This wasn't about diversity, but let us not misrepresent the fact that many of these metros are rather homogeneous if we're speaking of nation of orgin.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
^^ Compared to some other regions, perhaps, but undoubtedly still much more diverse than large number of other metros.

Anyway, no surprise the majority of them are in California and Texas. Georgia and Arizona are no surprise either. Of course, NY is the dark horse :), not that its unexpected.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
i knew an idiot like u would say something stupid, wether miami is diverse or not in non of your business, if u hate miami, suck it up and dont give does comments.

Well that was kind of harsh...Who said I hated Miami? I sure as hell didn't. Not my business? I'm sorry, a thread has been started in the name of foreign born residents, so not only is it my business, it's everyone else's too.

I understand this is not about diversity, and by no means was I cutting down Miami, I was just putting it out there.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
^^ Dont worry about it, people tend to get protective if they sense even the smallest antagonism towards their hometown :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hialeah, Florida should win.

98% Cubans, they don't even speak english
That is why Tom Tamcredo said, that it looks like a Third world country

·
Registered
62 Posts

interesting that you would accuse someone else of saying something stupid.

try re-reading your post. aloud.

·
Premium Member
30,838 Posts
New York's primary metro is higher than the CSA overall, but not by much...

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area 27.9%

Edison, NJ Metro Division 17.7%
Nassau-Suffolk, NY Metro Division 16.1%
New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Metro Division 34.2%
Newark-Union, NJ-PA Metro Division 20.5%

Places like Long Island and Central Jersey bring the overall percentage down...still, I think that even Newark is on the 20%+ list, a lot more immigrants go to Bergen-Hudson counties than the Newark area.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts