SkyscraperCity banner

2041 - 2060 of 2273 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hexter look at the title of this Topic, now sometimes we do go off track a bit but if we can't make it about Trump here where can we?

Journalists do these things Hexter so you reckon say Morrison would have responded with such a childish response and storm out of the briefing like Trump did? Occasionaly a leader might have a bad day and get frustrated with the line of questioning but Trump does it all the time.
Ok you got me. Make it about Trump.

As for Morrison vs Trump. I have agreed time and time again that Trump is a buffoon when handling the press but at the same time, I don't even see our shitty MSM press carrying on like they do over there.

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,577 Posts
I doubt China is going to stop or wants to stop imports of Iron Ore, LNG and Coal as any long term measure if at all. Their little hissy fit is measured and targeted to barley and beef and by coincidence which political party does that most affect? The National Party who have been most outspoken. I hope both China and Australia want this little silly spat to no longer be in the spot light.
Well that has been the rhetoric from China.

The silly little spat can be neutralised immediately by China simply agreeing to an investigation - not that hard.

I am not as convinced as you that the US under Trump will come to Australia or NATO's aid .and I am not convinced Trump supports democracy or the rule of law let alone a free and open market economies. Not liking how Trump behaves or conducts himself is not a witch hunt.
I think you completely underestimate our alliance with US and our strategic importance to the US within this region. The US would never allow us to fend for ourselves.

You cannot be convinced all you want of anything to do with Trump but he hasn't broken any laws or undermined democracy (if he did would things like the bullshit impeachment process still go ahead? - a nice abuse of democratic process by the Dems). I don't agree with his tariffs and trade policies in some respects but do in others.

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,577 Posts
Hexter look at the title of this Topic, now sometimes we do go off track a bit but if we can't make it about Trump here where can we?

Journalists do these things Hexter so you reckon say Morrison would have responded with such a childish response and storm out of the briefing like Trump did? Occasionaly a leader might have a bad day and get frustrated with the line of questioning but Trump does it all the time.
I view most politicians as saints -the fucking vile click baiting nature of the media these days would have me losing my shit constantly. I actually think Trump is doing better than almost anyone on the planet with the garbage that gets thrown at him.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,623 Posts
I think you completely underestimate our alliance with US and our strategic importance to the US within this region. The US would never allow us to fend for ourselves.
I actually partially agree with Andy on this, ANZUS is not NATO, there is no obligation to defend the other country in the event of an attack.

I think in all likelihood the US would help us (thankfully Trump has invested in the US military vs the decline it experienced under Obama.) The US have some important assets here as well.

Still, just in case, we should be able to defend ourselves if it ever came to that.

Which is why we need a strong defence force and strategic nuclear deterrent, the latter being key.

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,577 Posts
I agree, we would be better to be strong enough to stand on our own two feet however against China? I don't think many nations would have the ability to defend themselves against China.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,623 Posts
I agree, we would be better to be strong enough to stand on our own two feet however against China? I don't think many nations would have the ability to defend themselves against China.
It wouldn't be really possible with conventional warfare, hence the need for a nuclear deterrent.

You need to make the cost of trying anything high enough for it not to be an attractive option.

This is all remote scenario, but not as remote as it used to be.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
ANZUS is not NATO, there is no obligation to defend the other country in the event of an attack.
It does provide an obligation, but it also provides weasel words to abrogate the obligation (which the difference to NATO which says members are bound to retaliate in collective self-defence) --

--
Each Party recognizes that an armed attack in the Pacific Area on any of the Parties would be dangerous to its own peace and safety and declares that it would act to meet the common danger in accordance with its constitutional processes.
--

·
WARREN
7,978 Posts
In other news, the Republicans flipped a congressional seat in California from the Democrats for the first time in 22 years yesterday, being CA's 25th congressional district on the outskirts of Los Angeles. And CA isn't known for being friendly turf for Donald Trump.

Could be a hint of how things will go in November.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It wouldn't be really possible with conventional warfare, hence the need for a nuclear deterrent.

You need to make the cost of trying anything high enough for it not to be an attractive option.

This is all remote scenario, but not as remote as it used to be.
There is simply no way the US, UK and the western world would sit idly by and let China invade Australia.

It would plunge the world into war.

Apart from the agreements and cultural ties, trade ties, Australia as a strategic location with bountiful resources is not something you want to let slip into the hands of the enemy.

Can you see the world turning a blind while Australians die trying to defend themselves? I don’t think so.

There is a line which China has to cross that would invoke retaliation. And in all likelihood that line runs through the South China Sea. The only countries they could possible invade without significant retaliation is North Korea, or possibly Mongolia. But as soon as China invaded another country it would spark an arms race. Even when they make claims to islands in the South China Sea, it puts the world on edge. And the Chinese believe they have legitimate rights to them.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,623 Posts
There is simply no way the US, UK and the western world would sit idly by and let China invade Australia.

It would plunge the world into war.
I think we have to take into account the possibility of the US withdrawing from Asia, or, for whatever reason us not being able to, or having the strategic interest to help. I'm talking 10-20 years down the line. We don't know how things are going to play out.

I'm just assuming a worst case scenario and whilst I don't actually think that will ever happen, it's nice to have insurance.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nah, I reckon the opposite. I reckon they will move more into Asia. Trump will have had advice for years to focus on Asia Pacific. He wasn’t interested before, but now he may do it as a show as a response to this whole corona virus saga. But future POTUS’s will understand the need for it.... If it’s Biden though, he may forget. And then instead send the forces to Antarctica.

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,577 Posts
Because we asked for an inquiry. Obviously fighting words!

That is true and is happening without reciprocal arrangements. Not really fair but gives us the upper hand in an economic war because they would be hurting their own interests and we can repatriate our assets if need be.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,623 Posts
Threatening to invade Taiwan today:

The Chinese government has hit back at the President through its state-controlled Global Timesnewspaper, which said cutting off China “may put world peace in a dangerous position”.
The report accused the President of “talking nonsense”, claimed he was “bluffing and acting tough towards China to win more support”, and called him a “giant baby on the brink of a meltdown”.

Beijing also threatened to take Taiwan by force if the US cut China off.

“China has nothing to be afraid of as ‘in the past, we didn't solve the Taiwan question because we wanted to maintain the China-US relationship, and if the US unilaterally cuts it off, we can just reunify Taiwan immediately since the Chinese mainland has an overwhelming advantage to solve this longstanding problem’.”

·
Registered
963 Posts
Proving once again again what a complete bunch of tossers the CCP are. They just take their rhetoric to stupid levels. They not only try to make fake islands to make false territory claims, continually steal IP, try to hack everything, copy everything, don't really care about the value of human life. They not only bullshit about just about everything - all because everyone in the world knows just how much misinformation they propagate yet the WHO acts like their voice piece. Everywhere from Germany to AU, to the US, to the UK, calling them out, even NZ saying things now.

I was calling them out with this misinformation long before Trump made it known, so no, for me it's not because of Trump.

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,577 Posts
Well done China, really endearing themselves to the world. But it's Trumps fault, and ScoMos, and the EUs and now Taiwans. So many people at fault except the CCP.

·
Registered
603 Posts
An admission that they haven’t invaded Taiwan purely because of the US.

Taiwan (and Hong Kong) is an issue for China because it is so successful it is a threat to the CCPs power as it is a constant reminder to the mia land Chinese proves to that democracy with capitalism is a way to prosperity.

They want to remove that reminder as soon as possible. And do everything they can to coerce countries and businesses into their narrative that Taiwan belongs to China. So when they do invade there is less global willingness to defend it.

This is why they also meddle in Hong Kong’s democracy, to undermine it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well done China, really endearing themselves to the world. But it's Trumps fault, and ScoMos, and the EUs and now Taiwans. So many people at fault except the CCP.
Just because you keep cynically saying this Ryan does not make it true or that others believe it or others say it. Was not that long ago you were vilifying the EU.

When cool heads need to prevail we have far too many hysterical outbursts getting oxygen. Too much Chinese and American rhetoric and propaganda. Terrible to also see the vilification of whistle blowers in America and even worse the elimination of them in China.

2041 - 2060 of 2273 Posts