SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious of general US perspectives, on the following countries.

1.Australia.
2.France.
3.Canada.
4. New Zealand
5.UK

·
Registered
279 Posts
America is 300,000,000 HIGHLY Individual People....

having said that,

My personal take on these 5 nations....

1. Australia.....America Junior. Free, open to the future, and generally destined for greatness

2. France.......tortured by its own glorious past.....

3. Canada.......waiting to be liberated by America........

4. New Zealand.....Pacific Philosophers....

and

5. the UK....keeping on keeping on....rolling with the changes....

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. Australia: Geographically isolated but a well-traveled nation. Great people who perhaps sell themselves somewhat short. Amazing urban environments and coastal treasures.

2. France: a country that has lost its way in the 21st century... not quite knowing its position. Amazing history, sophisticated culture, and stunning cities... yet the people seem to always be gloomy. I envy the country in many ways though.

3. Canada: a fine country with a great future. I fear that they try too hard to warm up to Europe by distancing themselves from the US... a silly game. This country holds one of the most amazing urban environments: Vancouver. A city to be admired. Canada will always be family.

4. NZ: a fantasy land that most Americans know is beautiful... yet no little about.. including myself.

5. UK: a strong nation where the people know who they are, from where they come, and where they are going. A good ally, with a good vision for the world. Strong economy and great potential. This is one empire that diminished gracefully and retained its overall global position. I only hope the US will contract with such grace when the time comes. My only quibble: I've heard the food is sub par on numerous occasions; thank-God we exported McDonalds to save the appetites over there :)

·
18,174 Posts
this is how i think people see it:

australia: tropical paradise
france: many things, depending on what is discussed. good food; medieval towns; strange habits (women not shaving under their arms?); scardey cats.
canada: people living in the deep woods; hockey
new zealand: considering how little people know about geography, i would think that some people don't know where it is, and if they do, they think it's part of australia
united kingdom: "the america in europe", meaning, the country in europe that is most similar to ours. i think some people think the only difference between the us and the uk is that they drive on the other side of the road.

·
Banned
100 Posts
1.Australia- Fun loving people who live fruitful lives. The live and play much like Americans do. Their city of Sydney can stack up well against any city in the world. Out of all of the countries on this list, Australia is definently the one I would choose to live in. Many people I know wish they could travel to Australia. If it wasn't for such a long flight...

2.France- Used to be the superpower of the world at one point in time. Waged wars and lost even more. Thinks the world revolves around them when it really revolves around the U.S. (as far as world influence is concerned). The French are arrogant and smell. 10%+ of the population is jobless. The country doesn't even have the "replacement level" needed when it comes to birthrate. In other words, the french aren't producing enough children to maintain their population, let alone increase it.

3.Canada- Laid back people who look out for their people. They are liberal and friendly. They don't need the biggest army in the world but when tested, they'll be amongst the first to go to war to defend their ideals. Fun loving people, much like Americans. They talk a little funny, but that's what makes us love them even more.

4. New Zealand- Paradise in the sea. A beautiful island where exotic animals and plant species live. There might be a dinosaur roaming around, nobody knows. Beautifully, untouched wilderness. One of the last natural paradises left on Earth. As far as I can tell, the people are much like Australians. Which is a good thing. Earthquakes happen daily.

5.UK- The people like to take the piss out of everything. Overall, a great country. They should work better to improve their relations with the Welch, Scotts, and Irish. It's a crowded island that get more crowded each and every year as Great Britain is a target for 100,000's of immigrants each year. And for good reason, the country is strong and has much to offer.

·
1,652 Posts
Ohhh this is going to be fun.

Australia-the wonderful country downunder, a popular vacation stop for the more weathly in our country. Its also home to the Crocodile hunter, hes faded for some time, yet is still popular.

France-loved by our liberals, disliked by our conservatives. There mostly scene as a cultured country, but with stuck up people. There also scene as cowards in wartime, which I know isn't fair.

Canada-like a little brother, enjoyable but annoying at times. But we love Canada (maily cause of the billions we trade in together every year...).

New Zealand-a better, small, and less acessable Australia. Famous for sheep, but when people see Auckland, there going to save up to go there.

United Kingdom-our mother in this world, we ador your Queen, and respect your (although limited) authority. Our greatest friend in Europe (for obvious reasons) and the only other country that I would consider moving too.

I like all of these countries, even though some of them may not agree with us politically. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Australia - Culturally much like America. Most Aussies that make it this far around the globe are wealthy and well-traveled; that makes it a little tough to know what the average Joe is like down under. But I think most Americans have a pretty overt fondness for Australia in general.

France - A country with a great history but a troubled future. Lots of cultural pride, but it's being torn apart with ethnic tensions. Very complex, and often hostile to Americans for reasons we don't fully understand.

Canada - Much the same as Australia, though a bit more European in temperament. We have a very brotherly relationship, often tense but within the context of mutual affection. It's often difficult to distinguish a Canadian from an American.

New Zealand - I know it more for its geography than its people. I think of it as a sort of extension of Australia... to tell you the truth I don't know that much about it.

UK - Like Canadians and Aussies, Britons are warmly received in America. Strangely, they play the villains in our early history and the heroes in our modern history. I think we perceive them as our most stable ally, clearly situated in history and not going anywhere. A good bunch to have on our side.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1.Australia.

G'Day Mate...like the US (California) except they speak in cockney accents and drive on the left....(actually the place DOES look alot like the western US based on movies and some pix posted online ..the was this Australian road geek board where some bloke posted pix of his trip downt o Melbourne and it looks just like US suburbia, including green & white expressway signs). Really good music....three of my favorite bands (all sadly defucnt) are from Oz...Midnight Oil, Weddings Partys Anything and Crowded House.

2.France.

Bouevards, TGV, chateuxs, wine, excellent food, even better older architecture, the Maginot Line, Provence, massive suburban housing projects....

3.Canada.

Just like the US except in metric and bilingual signs.... And the government is really different, and they put their high rise housing projects in the suburbs, like the French...

4. New Zealand

??? The Milford Trek? Kiwi Fruit ???

5.UK

Europe, but you can actually understand the language (well, sometimes!). Movies are good. Music is real good (usually), archaic social system, terrace houses one-up/one -down/Northern Industrial Town.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been to all but Australia and New Zealand.

Australia: Based on what I know from books, films, photographs, and speaking with Australians themselves, the country looks like a richly unique place with a lifestyle not unlike that of the United States. It has absolutely striking scenery that can't be found anywhere else in the world. There is simply nothing bad to say about Australia.

France: Highly misunderstood by Americans. The French are warm people who are often seen as cold, rude, and snooty by Americans because they fail themselves to respect and embrace their culture. I spent three months in France for foreign exchange in high school, and I can very firmly say that the French stereotype is flat-out wrong, and ridiculously exaggerated at the very least. The French lifestyle is no different than those of any other western country. Women in fact do shave their legs/armpits, and people don't smell. I felt very at home in France, and at times even felt envious of the certain Joie de Vivre of its people. The most shocking memories I have of France are the foods, most of which I found bizarre but delicious. The transportation system is far superior to anything in North America, but the way people drive drains the blood from my face. Many towns and villages have a magical, from-a-fairytale feel. Every American should be given the chance to visit this extraordinary place.

Canada: I spend a lot of time in Canada, and visit friends there often. Cities, lifestyle, and people aren't any different than in America, but government, culture, and history are. Eastern cities have a European feel, with the exception of Victoria, BC, and the rest have a typical North American atmosphere. Road trips in Canada are spectacular; there are many stretches of highway through Northern Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta that are so remote, so endless, and so lonely that it's too powerful to explain in words. Much like home to me; the only noticable difference is the use of the metric system.

New Zealand: From what I've seen in pictures, it looks to be one of the most topographically, climatologically, and strangely beautiful nations in the world. Bizarre, yet fascinating plant and animal life. A place I would like to visit at least once in my lifetime.

United Kingdom: A country with so many cultures, languages, and accents it's almost a sub-continent within itself. Some places are quaint. Others and urbane and cosmopolitan. The countryside is just as beautiful, perhaps even more so than the cities. Lots of modern architecture mixed in with very old. Flower gardens are seemingly everywhere. Each region has a very distinct identity. The English moors are some of the bleakest, most hauntingly majestic landscapes I've ever seen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
honest average american view:

everyone sucks except for us.

Australia - there are kangaroos running amuck in the city and everyone there says "down unda".

France - snobbish and mean. we try to disassociate foods that carry the french name from france and replace it with freedom. makes life more fun and, like always, less cultured.

Canada - is this a country? feels like a landmass that sits above our beloved states. if something goes wrong..."blame canada!". sounds easy enough, ay?

New Zealand - ouch, the sun burns worse here then anywhere else. Cover up or die.

UK - alot of british chaps running around in their top hats and spectacles. apparently they speak a different language then we do; they speak "english", we speak "american". what's a lift anyway?

none of these are my views, but they are the views most americans would likely hold.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
digital_slash said:

Australia - there are kangaroos running amuck in the city and everyone there says "down unda".

France - snobbish and mean. we try to disassociate foods that carry the french name from france and replace it with freedom. makes life more fun and, like always, less cultured.

Canada - is this a country? feels like a landmass that sits above our beloved states. if something goes wrong..."blame canada!". sounds easy enough, ay?

New Zealand - ouch, the sun burns worse here then anywhere else. Cover up or die.

UK - alot of british chaps running around in their top hats and spectacles. apparently they speak a different language then we do; they speak "english", we speak "american". what's a lift anyway?

none of these are my views, but they are the views most americans would likely hold.
lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Justadude said:
You must be hanging around a highly refined and elite crowd.
not so much that some of the people are unrefined, in fact it's usually the more refined and elite crowd that hold these opinions. note elite doesn't necessarily mean cultured.

many of the elites I know are very conservative (the kind that feign acceptance for all but then condemn them behind their backs). they believe that America is THE single greatest country in the world. I remember telling one of them "There are plenty of great countries outside of America" and she responded "well then how come everyone wants to live here?"

·
Registered
426 Posts
digital_slash said:

I think you highly misunderstand your own country.

·
Atlien
305 Posts
digital_slash said:

I don't know what Americans you're talking about, my friends have views similar to the more intelligent ones stated above.

·
Atlien
305 Posts
digital_slash said:
not so much that some of the people are unrefined, in fact it's usually the more refined and elite crowd that hold these opinions. note elite doesn't necessarily mean cultured.

many of the elites I know are very conservative (the kind that feign acceptance for all but then condemn them behind their backs). they believe that America is THE single greatest country in the world. I remember telling one of them "There are plenty of great countries outside of America" and she responded "well then how come everyone wants to live here?"
Ok, see, this post confirms my own suspicions. You have just as conceded, general, and misinformed views of your own Americans as you say Americans have of other countries. Are you one of "those" liberals who like to portray all Americans who voted for Bush (I’m going out on a limb here) as ignorant, snobby, uncultured, flag waving ******** who don't give a damn about anyone else or any other country... am I right??? Sure, there are those people you described, but I think many conservatives would be offended by your comments. I don’t think most Americans are as ignorant, stupid, uncultured, misinformed, or whatever as you describe them to be. As far as I'm concerned, the "average" American's view of the above mentioned countries is much higher than the one you gave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts