SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3629 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as we know Voting for the World Cup HOST will be in May 2017 and so far i think we have 5 official bids from

- CANADA
- THE UNITED STATES
- MEXICO
- COLOMBIA
- MOROCCO

other possible bids:

- A joint Colombia, Ecuador and Peru bid
- China
- England
- Kazhakstan

·
Millonarios FC
8,602 Posts
Don't think Fifa will give another WC to Mexico and with the end of Colombia civil war is a perfect country to host this event, specially that the WC must go to countries in which football is the main sport.

·
Registered
252 Posts
USA would be easy, plenty of American Football stadiums that can be used. Canada needs to invest since they dont have as much big stadiums. Mexico already hosted in 1970 and 1986 so i dont give them that much chance.

Colombia would also be a good host, but also big investments need to be made for stadiums.

China has plenty of stadiums, but all of them have running tracks around them. They will have to convert those stadiums or build new ones.

Kazachstan: They will need to do a mayor investment.

Morocco: Should be able to host it, they properly hosted the FIFA Club World Cup editions.

·
the mitty
9,979 Posts
^^ but all bigger moroccan stadiums also have running tracks

Canada have big stadiums, only a few with track, and need expantion in some but the infrastructure is set. cons: no tradition in football

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,559 Posts
You'd think unless something drastic happens (like China showing interest and persuading FIFA to change their rotation rules) that this would be the US' to lose.

FIFA might also want to placate FOX further after massively screwing up their schedules by moving 2022 to winter.

And of course, Blatter wanted 2022 in the US anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You'd think unless something drastic happens (like China showing interest and persuading FIFA to change their rotation rules) that this would be the US' to lose.

FIFA might also want to placate FOX further after massively screwing up their schedules by moving 2022 to winter.

And of course, Blatter wanted 2022 in the US anyway.
I don't see China being interested yet.

China is still very communistic in their approach to sports. That meaning they only like to hold the event as a show of power to their people, a chance to make them proud of their country and to keep them in line.

China can't even qualify for a WC in a pretty weak Asia confederation that is currently being bossed by Australia. God bless the Aussies but their league isn't exactly world class yet. So I don't see China splashing the cash and trying to get the rules amended for an event that they're likely to fall flat on their face in.

You'd have to think USA gets it. North America is the region to go longest without a World Cup (not counting Oceania) and the USA has a growing interest in the sport. Not to mention with all the stadium building going on, we'll likely shatter all the records. Plus, the US's central location within North America means it will be easy for Mexicans and Canadians to travel to.

·
9,872 Posts
Don't think Fifa will give another WC to Mexico
It will happen, it's just a question of when. With the stadiums the country is building, their unbridled passion for the game and the burgeoning telecommunications industry in Mexico it certainly would be the most lucrative option for when FIFA next wishes to consider Latin America. True enough, the gang/drug violence is a very real thing to consider but in my opinion that's not anything more extraordinary than some of the issues that confronted Brazil.
and with the end of Colombia civil war is a perfect country to host this event,
I'd have to learn more about their economy and infrastructure to see if they could be a viable host, but their love of the game is certain.
specially that the WC must go to countries in which football is the main sport.
Not necessarily true, I feel. USA did extremely well when it came in '94 and would be over the top if/when it returns, despite soccer remaining below other sports. Ditto Japan and quite arguably South Africa. FIFA is determined to use the event to help bolster the appeal of soccer around the world. They see it as their way to strengthen the game overall, building millions of new customers for their brand, as it were.

USA-Canada
Are you suggesting a joint bid, because if so that's highly unlikely. Especially since the US would not want to sacrifice hosting opportunities from many of their cities since the competition would already be intense.

Morocco: Should be able to host it, they properly hosted the FIFA Club World Cup editions.
I'd have to think Morocco would not be considered for 2026. Too close to Qatar geographically and too soon for FIFA to visit a smaller nation requiring so much construction. If FIFA is smart (which is a big ask, I know!), they'll want 2026 to be the exact opposite of Qatar, with little doubt about viability and a completely different cultural experience.

China can't even qualify for a WC in a pretty weak Asia confederation that is currently being bossed by Australia. God bless the Aussies but their league isn't exactly world class yet.
Might be all the more reason for them to bid, as an excuse to gain exposure and support for the team. So long as FIFA is looking to build soccer in other nations they'll look to the overall economic appeal of the sport as the barometer rather than the performance of the national team or domestic leagues. China does love soccer and is vying to be the largest economy in the world, so given the chance I think they'd love to host.

Whether or not their investment approach would prove more sound than the Beijing Olympics I can't say.

FIFA soothed FOX's woes by immediately giving them the media rights for the event, but in the process caused some hurt feelings with ESPN and other potential bidders. If 2026 is indeed the year for the US then those feelings will grow from hurt to outright ire, and both FIFA and US Soccer will feel short-changed by not having the chance to put those out for rebid, knowing they could've landed a much, much more lucrative offer.

Doesn't mean US Soccer won't bid, and I'm sure FOX is counting on it, but it would make FIFA's rewarding of the event to FOX yet another scandal on their resume.

Which, granted, is but another gnat within poop soup.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,559 Posts
FIFA soothed FOX's woes by immediately giving them the media rights for the event, but in the process caused some hurt feelings with ESPN and other potential bidders.
Yes, I know, hence my use of the word the word "further". ;)

And the rest of your post is also right. FIFA faced being sued if they didn't placate FOX over 2022, but maybe part of FOX agreeing to that deal was them being told 2026 would likely be on US soil.

·
9,872 Posts
I wouldn't put it past FOX to have made such a lobbying pitch and then some. Heck, even if it's in Mexico or Canada they'll stand to make a killing.

Unless of course their broadcasts and coverage continues to suck and they literally hurt the appeal of the event! I'm sorry but Gus Johnson just can't call soccer and now this effort to foist Alexi Lalas on us as a color commentator is just brutal. Top that off with robotic Donovan in the studio... ugh.

That's the real reason the EPL remains so popular among US footie fans - Quality commentators!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't put it past FOX to have made such a lobbying pitch and then some. Heck, even if it's in Mexico or Canada they'll stand to make a killing.

Unless of course their broadcasts and coverage continues to suck and they literally hurt the appeal of the event! I'm sorry but Gus Johnson just can't call soccer and now this effort to foist Alexi Lalas on us as a color commentator is just brutal. Top that off with robotic Donovan in the studio... ugh.

That's the real reason the EPL remains so popular among US footie fans - Quality commentators!
I like Alexi but not Landon. Landon is NOT a TV personality. A good soccer player and that's it.

The only English announcer I really care for is Ian Darke. The rest are all about the same.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,559 Posts
England could consider a bid to host the 2026 World Cup, says Football Association chairman Greg Dyke.
Dyke says any bid is dependent on whether Sepp Blatter remains in charge of governing body Fifa during the process - and on other factors.
He said the appointment of Englishman David Gill on to the Fifa executive committee could prove influential.
"If David can assure us there's a proper system and it's fair then we could be persuaded," he said.
"But at the moment the policy is straightforward - we don't bid while Mr Blatter's there."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32040304

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,559 Posts
Without wanting to sound nasty.. He's an old man and will be 90 years old in 2026, surely it's not likely he'll still be in his position?
Not for the World Cup itself, for the bid process. The FA don't want to get involved in a bid if Blatter is overseeing the process. If he wins the presidential election next month (he almost certainly will) then he will oversee the 2026 process...

"The bidding process will start in 2015, with the appointment of hosts planned for the FIFA Congress in May 2017"

1 - 20 of 3629 Posts