Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually not born in the USA, came to the USA when I was 7 yrs old, I grew up in North Carolina...Spanish being the primary language spoken, so I don't know what kind of "American Accent" I may have....I live in the South Florida (Miami) area now, so I don't know if I have picked up some of that regional accent...feel free to post videos of some regional USA accents....:cheers:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
NORTH CAROLINA ACCENT...I grew up in the Tarheel State.....but I don't have a NC accent at all.....=(

MINNESOTA ACCENT...?

BOSTON ACCENT...?

MIAMI ACCENT.....? I could not find one of Miami, FL accent...if anybody can post one, that would be nice....

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Accents I find annoying:

Oklahoma/Texas accent - yuck.
Thick West Coast accent - "oh my GOHD, thot's hil-ARR-ious."
Boston accent - literally sickening to listen to.

And yeah, Minnesotan/Upper Midwestern accents can be really grating if they're thick, but I generally associate them with the witty/funny people in my life. Kind of like Marge:

·
Registered
16,156 Posts
I find the Joisey - N'Yawk accent the worst. Jersey Shore only emphasizes the obnoxiousness of this way of talking.
You do realize that the Jersey Shore actors are form New Yawk...and not NJ.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm somewhat envious of all the regional accents in the U.S. Here in Canada we all have varying degrees of the same goofy accent (there are differences, but they're slight - except Newfoundland)

Some American accents are super abrasive though. Like two metals pans being banged together. I'm thinking upper-midwest and certain parts of the NYC metro area.
I actually like Southern accents even thought they sound kind of uneducated.

Question: how come most Americans on tv have no accent? I'm always shocked when I get to the States cause you never hear people talk like that on tv.

·
Registered
385 Posts
"Southern" accent is a pretty simplified term.

Texas, Mid-South, Cajun/Creole, Carolinas, etc. are all noticeably different. To me, at least.

Texas is somewhat scathing when a woman is talking. Carolina/Mid-South are similar and close to whatever you'd hear in Georgia. Cajun/Creole might as well be a different language.

. . . and Florida doesn't really have a "Southern" accent outside of the panhandle.

*from my experience.

·
The Punk With the Camera
8,604 Posts
The "Valley Girl" is, by far, THE WORST ACCENT ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. The "Valley Girl" is the accent teenage girls in the Central Valley of California (outside of Sacramento and Fresno) have, and I swear, I want to punch them in their face. I grew up hearing that accent, and I still boil with anger when some 20-something teenager from Stockton is talking on her phone and she's saying, "Oh, yeah, like TOW-telly, this new top is, like, so bitchin'." DIE, DIE, DIE!

·
Premium Member
31,320 Posts
Question: how come most Americans on tv have no accent? I'm always shocked when I get to the States cause you never hear people talk like that on tv.
Everyone has an accent, the one that you are referring to is the General American Accent, utilized by many in the media because of it being relatively flat and easy to understand to most people. It is an offshoot of the regional accent spoken in places like Iowa or Eastern Nebraska.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts