SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks an interesting Doco this coming monday evening...To think the cities and structures we build would decay so quickly without continuous maintenance. Makes you realise all this talk about us controlling the environment is a little arrogant. Enjoy it while it lasts.....

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
very interesting.imagine a empty 100storey teaming with wildlife and greenery.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Mother nature knows what it is doing. It's like when ships sink and over time decay to form reefs teaming with life.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they should let this building become a world famous tourist attraction....spread a little soil on each floor...a bit a moisture some seed and let it go. Like Cul says...imagine trees growing out of something as big as this.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I read one day that the Pyramids in Egypt will completely disappear in 50,000 years without maintenance.

What about the more recently built structures. Especially the skyscrapers built in the last 80-100 years.

50,000 years compared to 4.5 billion for the Earth is mind boggling small.

Makes our concern about global warming and climate change seem trivial in comparison.

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
funny you should say that redbaron. birds do live in the concrete shell of the hotel.

just look at the condition of this lump and its only 15 years old?

·
Here
6,589 Posts
funny you should say that redbaron. birds do live in the concrete shell of the hotel.

just look at the condition of this lump and its only 15 years old?
Apparently it was built with dodgy concrete though. It's been reported that the structure would never be allowed to be completed due to safety issues.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
This show had a thread in the main skybar page of the site and it had some youtube videos but the thread is gone. It's mainly based on the US but it was interesting. If you don't have pay tv it will be on youtube.

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
dodgy concrete? how can you fuc up concrete mix?
the north korean hotel doesnt look like its from earth. when i saw a pic of it in 92 it looked like it should from another planet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, doesn't take nature long to resume man's creations. Case in point: The Dixie Square Mall in Chicago, closed in 1979.

This thread should be in skybar though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, another good example are abandoned train stations - always covered in growth. I always find it somewhat unsettling. It's probably because after we build something it's just a matter of time till we stop bothering to look after it and then nature reclaims it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
OMFGG RED! Thank you for reminding me. 8:30 tonight.. On the promo thing, it had Sears Tower falling and becoming greenery. :eek:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Will this be shown on SBS or ABC1 eventually? I don't have cable TV.

·
Melburnaholic
567 Posts
there's probably a few torrents of this on the internet if you want to download it.

Looks like an interesting show.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
This is extremely interesting!!

"What would turn the lights off across much of the US is the Mussel!
Within a year, it would have grown in large enough numbers to block the intake pipes at the Hoover dam hydro-electro plant.

Big dogs would revert to being hunters, provided they could get out of any house or yard, but those "handbag" dogs would rapidly disappear. There are an estimated 6 million predators in the US, and they would be free to flourish as would any of the predators in zoos that managed to get free."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts