Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at UCF's stadium and wondering when USF was getting a stadium and where would they put it? If the answer is, we have RayJay so USF doesn't need one, then what about UCF having the Citrus Bowl? USF is in the Big East afterall.

·
Registered
89 Posts
RJS VS. on campus

Actually RJS is a recruting tool for USF. Giving a chance to play in a real NFL stadium. But as a USF alumnus myself, I would prefer an on campus stadium I just think it adds to the college experience.

·
Banned
224 Posts
USF has a stadium in its long range plans. The land from the golf course all the way to the river is owned by the school, but the stadium plans would place it across from the sun dome. There are no forces at play to cause USF to have to build a stadium of questionable quality. RayJay will be state of the art for quite a few more years. USF is not hurting athlectically speaking. Basketball included.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There is not a college stadium nicer than Ray Jay, a on campus stadium would not be feasible for a long time.
I completely disagree with you. You are right that RayJay is one of the best PROFESSIONAL stadiums in the country. But, college and professional football are two different entities. I went to UF, and there is nothing better than a Saturday at the Swamp. The stadium is fantastic, but it is more than that. Thousands of people tailgating all over campus. Partying Friday night and then walking to the game from my dorm. Bringing the alumni back to the campus. I could go on and on. I would love to see a stadium on USF's campus. As nice as RayJay is, an on-campus stadium, that is decked out in green and gold (and not red and pewter), I believe, would enhance the football program and the campus.

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Well you can't really compare UF football to USF. UF is one of the most popular teams in the country, if there was an NFL stadium in Gainesville they would fill that with just as much pride. UF *is* Gainesville, USF is just a small part of Tampa. There will never be that same feel, stadium or not. Personally I'd rather watch a game at RayJay than the Swamp any day. I hate games at the Swamp, talk about uncomfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the answer is, we have RayJay so USF doesn't need one, then what about UCF having the Citrus Bowl?
UCF's situation is a lot different that USF's. UCF was playing in the Citrus bowl which is a dump, and in a rough part of town thats pretty far from campus. The reason I don’t see USF building anytime soon is the cost. Where is USF going to come up with between 60-100mil for a new stadium? So far I would say that Ray Jay has been a catalyst to the football program development.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This more of a transportation issue, but do any of you all think that the area east of the golf course will ever open up to development for USF. It would be nice if 56th St made it to Bruce B Downs just south of the Cypress Creek Bridge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well you can't really compare UF football to USF. UF is one of the most popular teams in the country, if there was an NFL stadium in Gainesville they would fill that with just as much pride. UF *is* Gainesville, USF is just a small part of Tampa. There will never be that same feel, stadium or not. Personally I'd rather watch a game at RayJay than the Swamp any day. I hate games at the Swamp, talk about uncomfortable.
this is the typical opinion of IGNORANT usf fans.. they dont like it because they dont know better.. they welcome the commuter school image of USF and embrace the lack of solidarity on campus. just because usf is in tampa doesnt mean it cant get the same feel.. try going to a ga tech game, a USC game, a louisville game, hell even rutgers is only 30 mins away from NYC. what do all these schools have in common? they are located in the middle of a major metropolitan city.. so don't give me that "USF will never have the same feel" crap.. it CAN be done, it's sickos like you who wish USF plays in a rental facility for their entire life.. nothing says college football like a bunch of NFL and buccaneer logos painted all over your field and NOT in your school's colors.

the problem is that USF has poor direction with it's athletic department. they are taking the revenue and pumping it into upgrading facilities for the sports that will provide NO FINANCIAL RETURN to the university (i.e.- baseball stadium, soccer stadium, etc). If they knew their head from their ass, they would funnel the money into a new on campus stadium that will make money for the school for years to come.. they need to know where their bread is buttered. putting money into programs that will end up getting axed due to title IX will be our downfall.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you haven't, check out the UCF sports complex on the UCF thread it's a great plan and design. The whole University has a great design. If only USF...

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Georgia Tech and USC both build their stadiums back in the early part of the 20th century. There wasn't a giant modern NFL stadium stadium in the area. Hell, the NFL was founded 7 years after GT built their stadium. Not really a fair comparison.

It would be a gigantic waste of resources to funnel $100m into a stadium when there is an even better facility that sits empty on Saturday right down the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If they want a stadium they better do it off the alumni dime. As a Miami alumni and USF student, nothing irritates me more than to see FIU get a new stadium paid for by the state while the historic Orange Bowl is crumbling. We could easily share it.

What a waste of resources.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It took UF and FSU years to create the kind of traditions they have, and it's a blast to be a part of it. Everyone knows where the tailgaters are, the sponsor parties, where to park, etc. etc... Neither stadium was designed and built all at once, they were pieced together over the years, but it creates the character that people love about college football. USF can eventually have the same environment, and the NFL will never match it because they'll be busy rebuilding new stadiums every ten or fifteen years to stay state-of-the-art while the university will maintain their beloved staidum for many years because of the traditions that have been built. Fans of one may not be fans of the other for many reasons, but Tampa's large enough to support both. What's important is that it'll never happen if they think they can't.

Everyone knows USF is an up-and-comer. They'll have a great program one day (not just a good one). If I were king at USF, I would start promoting the idea of an on-campus stadium and start raising funds. Take advantage of the use of RJ for as long as you can stand it, because it's a fairly inexpensive way of enjoying first class accomodations. The idea of building non-revenue-producing programs is not a bad one, it builds quality of life on campus. FSU football funds many of these programs and gets a lot of support because of that. Long-term, USF can do this and do it well, just don't be in a hurry to have a stadium - build a stadium that will be great for many years to come and will be expandable. Let the culture grow around it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anheiser Busch offered to build a stadium at USF many many years ago but the offer was turned down. Too bad the school didn't have the foresight. Oh well....

·
Registered
114 Posts
http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBFY9Z6F3F.html

Bulls To Remain At Raymond James Stadium
By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jun 27, 2007

TAMPA - Raymond James Stadium will remain the home for the University of South Florida football games for at least another five years.

USF and the Tampa Sports Authority, which manages RJS, have agreed in principle on a five-year deal through the 2011 season with an option for five more seasons through the 2016 season.

The agreement also allows USF to terminate the contract - without penalty - by providing a two-year notice if the school decides to build an on-campus stadium.

"We are pleased to renew our contract with USF," Tampa Sports Authority executive director Henry Saavedra said. "We're proud to have them at our stadium and hope to for many years.

"We are very fortunate. They are a great community asset."

The contract was approved by the Tampa Sports Authority's board last week and is only awaiting a signature from USF athletic director Doug Woolard to execute the contract. Woolard was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Under terms of the contract, USF must exercise the five-year option at least six months before August 2012. The contract also allows USF to terminate the contract with at least two years notice before the termination date as selected by USF.

USF must pay the Tampa Sports Authority a $105,000 license fee in 2007 - up from $86,000 in 2006.

The license fee is based on TSA's estimated direct costs for each USF game. It includes operating expenses for use of the stadium's lower bowl. That figure increases $10,000 each season to $145,000 in 2011.

The agreement does not specify the license fee if USF uses the upper deck, a possibility this year with home games against UCF, Louisville and West Virginia.

If USF renews the agreement beyond 2011, the license fee will be negotiated between TSA and USF.

TSA also receives a ticket surcharge equal to 8 percent of each USF ticket sold, not to exceed $2.50 per ticket.

TSA will provide 3,000 complimentary parking spaces for USF donors and another 300 for USF officials and media, but will retain all other parking revenue.

USF does not have to pay TSA a license fee to hold its spring game at RJS, except for any direct game expenses.

USF is 46-10 at RJS, including 21 consecutive wins from 2000 to 2003, then the nation's second-longest home winning streak.

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or [email protected].

·
10,616 Posts
If 2 year notice is all USF has to give to get out of the contract, then it really doesn't mean a whole lot since it would take a while politically and construction to get a stadium built. There would just have to be a little planning ahead.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now we know about the stadium.

Anyone know about future developements in the wilderness east of the golf course? Do they even have a master plan for the campus?

Why is 50th street 2lanes? It seems so rural bordering a major Univ. Not to mention the traffic issue. East of the campus is not very pedestrian friendly. West of the campus looks unsafe. It doesn't feel like a student area over there. Can this change? Any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts