SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been mentioned on other threads and worth a thread of its own.

Why are many if not all of these newly built transport station not full with any vendors? This is the perfect opportunity to give local vendors a leg up and expose them to a wider customer base.
The spaces could be bid for by local businesses and could be an opportunity to create jobs. These spaces aren't being used wisely.

·
Shrewd
18,865 Posts
I agree with this actually, we had arguments about this all the time. The transport buildings especially the larger terminals in this day and age need to actually be multipurpose. They need to adhere to the principle of Transit-oriented Development. They also dont follow coordinate within services, for example the electricity and water and other sectors are only brought in on the final stages of the project or sometimes after the completion. They also do NOT have a law cater to human or bicycle traffic

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with this actually, we had arguments about this all the time. The transport buildings especially the larger terminals in this day and age need to actually be multipurpose. They need to adhere to the principle of Transit-oriented Development. They also dont follow coordinate within services, for example the electricity and water and other sectors are only brought in on the final stages of the project or sometimes after the completion. They also do NOT have a law cater to human or bicycle traffic
Yep, multipurpose facility is the right term. When you consider that the government is trying to create a middle income society it's a bit disappointing that something as simple as this hadn't been thought through. It is a quick win and simple idea that can be easily implemented and a sure way of producing made in tanzania vendors

·
2,983 Posts
I have been at the newly built Terminal 3 building of the Julius Nyerere International Airport, I can confirm to you that the aspect of supporting other types of business activities and completing transport infrastrusctures have been taken into consideration during the design. Same applies to KIA and other big airports.

Designs of the new SGR stations under constructions have also taken into consideration of other business activities. I will post the latest SGR progress video in a separate thread and you will hear the site engineer confirming that other business and a BRT service will also be accommodated within the SGR station.

What is happening now is the slow uptake of the business themselves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been at the newly built Terminal 3 building of the Julius Nyerere International Airport, I can confirm to you that the aspect of supporting other types of business activities and completing transport infrastrusctures have been taken into consideration during the design. Same applies to KIA and other big airports.

Designs of the new SGR stations under constructions have also taken into consideration of other business activities. I will post the latest SGR progress video in a separate thread and you will hear the site engineer confirming that other business and a BRT service will also be accommodated within the SGR station.

What is happening now is the slow uptake of the business themselves.
Thanks for looking into this and clarifying the situation. Things like this are quick wins and helps to elevate local businesses and the economy so I'm pleased that this has been factored in at an early stage at both airports and SGR stations.

I assume you have already posted the SGR progress video?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts