SkyscraperCity Forum banner

UTC KUALA LUMPUR ( formerly Pudu Sentral & PuduRaya ) | Completed (1976) & Refurbished (2011)

165084 Views 394 Replies 102 Participants Last post by  nazrey
Puduraya to get facelift
RM30m upgrade to be completed next year
Pearl Lee
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 07:39:00

BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE: Jaafar (right) answering
questions from the media on the newlook Puduraya

ALL is set for Puduraya to be the landmark of KL after its upgrading works are completed by the end of next year.

UDA managing director Datuk Jaafar Abu Hassan said yesterday the company welcomed the Prime Minister's comments to upgrade the building for the comfort of the people.

"There would also be a banking hall concept with around 10-12 counters that would provide electronic ticketing services. We feel this would tackle the tout problem," Jaafar said.

He added that currently Puduraya caters for between 75,000 to 80,000 people on a weekday and over 100,000 people on weekends, excluding festive seasons.

When asked if upgrading works for the terminal could cope with the demands when Puduraya is fully converted into a city bus terminal, Jaafar said: "The refurbishment works is to cater for current needs that are pressing. We are not doing it for that (city bus terminal)."

The three-stage makeover, which will cost a total of RM30.3 million, will see the 33-year-old bus hub being refurbished with escalators, walkalators, a bigger and more comfortable waiting area akin to that found at airports.

Electronic ticket booking facilities will also be introduced.

A budget of RM25m that will be used for the refurbishment works was tabled at the Finance Ministry and was approved by the government.

Stage one of the refurbishing works, which would costs RM5.3 million, is funded wholly by UDA Holdings Berhad and ongoing works include upgrading the fire resistance system, building a pedestrian walkway between the Plaza Rakyat LRT station and Puduraya, painting works, upgrading of toilets as well as adding more waiting areas at the mezzanine level.

Other initiatives taken under the second and third phases would include a new food court and surau, adding of more passenger lifts, introduction of children playing area, additional cargo lifts and replacing new exhaust fans at the basement.

There would also be facilities such as toilets and ramps to cater for the disabled.

Puduraya presently houses southern and northern bound buses at its premises.

The new Integrated Transport Terminal-Southern Sector (ITT-S) in Bandar Tasik Selatan is due to be completed by the end of next year and would see the operations of southern bound buses from Puduraya shifted there.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz had said that Puduraya would be turned into a city bus terminal, and a new bus hub to cater for northern bound buses would be built either in Gombak or Selayang.

UDA to take over Puduraya Hotel

THE operations of Puduraya Hotel will be taken over by UDA Holdings Sdn Bhd by next year.

This was made known by UDA managing director Datuk Jaafar Abu Hassan at a Press conference yesterday.

Though the hotel was built in 1976, the management and running of the hotel was leased to Puduraya Hotel Sdn Bhd.

“In the past we did not have experience in the hotel industry and thus it was rented out. We have, however, been toying with the idea to take over the running of the hotel for the past six to seven years. Now that we will be spending a lot to refurbish Puduraya, we think it is fit for us to run the hotel as well.”

Jaafar said the hotel would be managed by Uda AnCasa Sdn Bhd by Feb 1.

“We are also taking over the Puduraya Hotel operations in light of the upgrading being carried out in Puduraya.”

Notices too have been served to the current operators of the hotel.

The group presently operates AnCasa Hotel and Spa KL, AnCasa AllSuites Resort & Spa Port Dickson, Jerejak Rainforest Resort Penang, and Kuala Terengganu Golf Resort.
381 - 395 of 395 Posts
IINM ITT Gombak for east coast buses was shifted to TBS. Now east coast buses departs from TBS instead of Putra.
I don't think both ITT Gombak (for buses to East Coast) and ITT Sungai Buloh (for Northern buses) have ever taken off. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can't wait to see them complete and emulate TBS' success. Then all the intercity buses won't crowd downtown KL's streets! Then all the city buses like the smelly Metrobus, Selangor Omnibus and SJ Bus and the Rapid KL buses which do not have proper stops can go crowd Puduraya lah! All of these buses crowd Lebuh Ampang, Sinar Kota, Kota Raya, Central Market etc. and make that part of KL look like a third-world country lah.

So sad to see Puduraya's change as cosmetic only. Though UTC's many government departments deserve credit. With convenient public transport access, having your passport done in Puduraya is so much more convenient than in Jalan Duta. Sometimes I wonder why some people whose houses are nearer to Puduraya want to renew their passports in Jalan Duta pulak.
Yup well aware of that. It only solves half the problem. Solves buses crowding and its drivers bathing in the open in PWTC area. But east coast buses taking a long way down from Karak Highway to MRR2 to get to TBS. This will jam up the already infamously jammed up MRR2 and won't cut short bus journeys.

Anyone with news of ITT Gombak & Sg Buloh?
IINM ITT Gombak for east coast buses was shifted to TBS. Now east coast buses departs from TBS instead of Putra.
I did saw news about the Gombak one quite some time ago. Seems like for the northern route they're focusing on railway services upgrading, so I didn't see any news of SG Buloh one.
Reactions: ILM
Well that's good prioritising. Since ETS will be up running to Padang Besar, most Northern settlements are covered, and it can buy us some time to delay the building of ITT Sg Buloh.

East coast towns however, aren't so lucky. It's a 19 hour train ride to Wakaf Baru (nearest station to Kota Bharu), and to top it coastal Pahang and Trengganu where important towns are, like Kuantan, Kuala Trengganu and Dungun aren't covered at all. ITT Gombak, a proper bus station to the northern fringes of Greater KL is desperately needed.
I did saw news about the Gombak one quite some time ago. Seems like for the northern route they're focusing on railway services upgrading, so I didn't see any news of SG Buloh one.
Reactions: atmapgnew
I think I read somewhere before bout Gombak.

I believe the biggest problem is the G don't wanna spend money. they aspect the developer to build it on their owned ala Singapore. add also the problem of land being smack at the border between kl & Selangor.
Yup well aware of that. It only solves half the problem. Solves buses crowding and its drivers bathing in the open in PWTC area. But east coast buses taking a long way down from Karak Highway to MRR2 to get to TBS. This will jam up the already infamously jammed up MRR2 and won't cut short bus journeys.

Anyone with news of ITT Gombak & Sg Buloh?
Reactions: ILM
Express buses leaving Puduraya
-Wednesday October 21, 2015 MYT 8-05-15 AM
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/10/21/Express-buses-leaving-Puduraya/

KUALA LUMPUR: Congestion in the city centre will ease greatly with operations at the Pudu Sentral bus station scaled down.

Some 545 buses on routes to Perak, Penang, Kedah and Perlis will be moved to the Bandar Tasik Selatan Terminal effective Nov 1.

A Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) spokesman said the move was to ease traffic at Pudu Sentral and its vicinity, and the city’s central business district in the long term.

Known as Puduraya when it was built in 1976, the terminal serves about 1,000 express buses daily. Buses that enter the terminal usually queue along Jalan Pudu, causing serious traffic congestion.

The Bandar Tasik Selatan Terminal presently operates 1,300 bus trips daily (arrivals and departures). At maximum capacity, it can handle 5,000 trips a day.

The terminal is linked to the KTM Komuter, Sri Petaling LRT and ERL KLIA Transit lines.
Reactions: johan is
^^ That means if we're from the North heading to KL's CBD, we'd be travelling to the south first & then only north by some other modes - how troublesome eh ???
Eat Full Very Free...

Similar thing happened to East-bound buses since last year perhaps, when the Putra Bus Station next to PWTC was closed.

AllUrban once said that Putra Bus Station was living on borrowed time, as the landlord would like to take it back. But it was somehow shocking to see the bus operation relocated before ITT Gombak was completed.

Last time, East-bound buses from Putra Bus Stand will travel to GreenWood by Jalan Pahang and Jalan Gombak before they enter KL - Karak Highway. So they had makeshift stops in GreenWood for people nearby to board.

Now all of them were relocated to ITT Bandar Tasek Selatan and boarding in GreenWood was also disallowed, if people from Sri Gombak, GreenWood or surrounding wanna take a bus to East Coast, they must travel to ITT Bandar Tasek Selatan first.

Imagine you live around the entrance of Karak Highway, yet have to travel 2 hours to ITT BTS to board a bus (approximately half an hour wait for feeder bus to Gombak LRT, half an hour on the bus, half an hour on Kelana Jaya line trains to Masjid Jamek LRT, another half an hour on Ampang line trains to BTS LRT).

Then when you finally board the bus, it takes an hour to brave through the jam on Middle Ring Road II to come back to where you live, GreenWood, in order to get onto Karak Highway.

Usually it takes 3 hours to get to Kuantan. But now you need to spend 3 hours just to return to square one, before the bus proceed to Karak Highway.
Nowadays, even landed transportations have transit...

Reminds me of my past KUL-ROM route with transit in SIN.
Hope they dare not to come out with check in time of 45mins for buses. Better NOT.
Until they built ITT Sungai Buloh and Gombak then we need to go to the south 1st..
^^ That means if we're from the North heading to KL's CBD, we'd be travelling to the south first & then only north by some other modes - how troublesome eh ???
"Check-in time" has been there for express buses for a few decades. Even small agents in a tiny town have the concept. Normally 15-30 minutes. Just that it is not strictly enforced, because usually the bus is just tens of meters away, and checking in luggage is very straightforward, so it does not really matter when a passenger arrives. It only serves as a reminder to passengers that they should be there before the departure time. Because there are companies that really wait for all passengers to board. I have experienced that. I was late for ten to twenty minutes. The company phoned me. And the bus waited for me. :)

As for transit involving express buses and trains, it is very common. I have been doing so for many years, north to south, and south to north, transiting in Jalan Duta, KL Sentral, Pudu Sentral and TBS. There was even once in Putrajaya Sentral. It is just like budget airline transits. Passengers plan their own trips, buy their own tickets for each sector, and take the risk of a disconnect. There is really little difference compared to intra-city multi-hop transport.

It is preferable to split a long range trip, especially land trip, into several sectors. Because like flights, the food on board and in rest areas is not worth it, and the environment is not favorable for a rest. A passenger can decide to "drop out" or extend stop-over time at any transit point for whatever reason.
Nowadays, even landed transportations have transit...

Reminds me of my past KUL-ROM route with transit in SIN.
Hope they dare not to come out with check in time of 45mins for buses. Better NOT.
Reactions: QalzimCity
Would there be any bus routes left at Puduraya from 1st Nov ???
Short distance express buses (eg to Seremban) will remain there. That and stage buses.
frankly speaking, those buses that stop in front and opposite Kotaraya & Sinar Kota should make Pudu Sentral as their bus station.

this will greatly reduced the congestion at those traffic lights around that area.
Short distance express buses (eg to Seremban) will remain there. That and stage buses.
381 - 395 of 395 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.