SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About Utrecht:
Population: 316 000 (metro 640 000, 7 millions in Randstad)
Tallest building: Rabobank (105m)
Founded year (city rights): 1122
Area: 99.32km2

Utrecht is the 4th largest city of Netherlands. The city is famous for its university, the largest in the Netherlands, the dom church and has many museums. It has a wellpreserved city center with many old buildings from the middle ages and significant canals with pedestraina walkways on the sides in two levels (that differ from many othe r cities canals). Before the Dutch middle ages Utrecht was the most important city in the Netherlands. Oudegracht is the canal that goes through the whole city center and is trafficated by lots of private boats. There are also many bikes in Utrecht, just like any other Dutch city.
I visited Utrecht only for one day, as a daytrip from Amsterdam (I also visited Rotterdam and den Haag). These 4 cities form the metropolitan area Randstad together. Utrecht lies just southeast of Amsterdam, and it takes less then one hour to go there by train.The weather was good during my visit, it was warm and sunny and almost no clouds on the sky. In the evening I went back to Amsterdam.

Station Area:

The area around the station is busy, pretty ugly and mostly contain modernist box buildings. But there are also a few modern highrises that stand out.

Utrecht Central Station is very large and modern.

Staadskontoor, under construction. Will be Utrecht’s 2nd tallest in 2013 (92m).

There are many bikes in Utrecht’s city center.

Rabobank Bestuurscentrum, Utrecht’s tallest building. It is 105m tall and was built in 2011.

To take this picture of Rabobank I had to walk to the backside in the heat on a dusty construction place.

Muziekpaleis (Music Palace) under construction.

Lange Viestraat, towards the old town from the station.

De Bijenkorf, large department store.

A shopping galleria opposite. Ugly blue colour.

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Old Town:

This is where you find all old buildings, churches, multileveled canals and museums. And pedestrian streets with many modern chains stores. The medieval core is well preserved.

Reaching Utrecht’s Old Town.

CentralPost Office.

There are many bikes in Utrecht’s city center.

Towards the Dom.

Oudegracht, the significant multileveled canal of Utrecht.

Kanalweg. Many modern chain stores are situated along the canal.

Winkel van Sinkel, an old department store from 1839.

Winkel van Sinkel to the right has nice pillars.

Oudegracht (Old Canal), is the longest canal that flows through the Old Town.It has two levels.

Icecream?

The Dom church’s gothic tower Domtoren is 112m tallto the spire. It was completed in 1382 and is still the most prominent landmark in the city center.
It was destroyed in a hurricane in 1674, but was rebuilt. In 2004 the tower and the church were built together to celebrate the 750 year anniversary. There is a replica of the Dom in Nagasaki, Japan.

Domplein.

The dom tower and the church were built together in 2004.

The Gothic Dom Church.

Museum Quartiers.

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Utrecht City Hall.

The city hall, modern wing.

A wedding at the city hall with American cars….

…and an American school bus!

Looking towards the Dom, Utrecht’s tallest and most prominent church.

There are open-air restaurants on the lower levels of the canal.

Here I was relaxing for a while.

Neudeflat, a residential highrise (and a brand of the Danish Tiger store).

Oude Gracht Vredenburg.

Rembrandt movie theatre.

St. Augustinuskerk, a catholic church.

St. Augustinuskerk’s interior. There are many churches in Utrecht.

Jacobskerk.

Museum.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Often neglected gem, Utrecht. To me it feels like the northern-most burgondic city in western Europe. Thanks for the nice pics.

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Music conservatory.

“Stairway to heaven” pub.

De Inktpot, Netherland’s largest brick building. It was built as the HQ for the railway company.

Che statue inside the station.

KLM, the same Dutch airline I was flying with. Goodbye Utrecht!

·
Illustrator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I planned to visit Delft, but chosed Utrecht instead since it was closer to Amsterdam.
And I think these two cities are equally beautiful, but Delft is more popular among tourists!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts