Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Växjö is a city in Kronobergs län, Småland in southern Sweden. It is the seat of Kronobergs län and has a population of around 60 000. The municipality has a population of around 80 000. A few years ago BBC named Växjö the greenest city in Europe because of its low emission of carbion dioxide.

In this first post you will follow a walk that I did today

Strandbjörket

Smålands museum

The Växjö lake

Vattentorget

Utvandrarnas hus

Another view of Vattentorget

Växjö cathedral behind the trees

Now moving to Stortorget

Stortorget

Now going to Storgatan

Oxtorget

That's it for now :)

Hope you like it :)

·
Registered
25,565 Posts
Thank you very much for the pictures! The town looks like many towns in Latvia/Lithuania, but without a smack of some outstanding architecture. Is there a specific reason why it is "green"? :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you for posting this, but where do all these 60 000 people live?
In the sixties they torn down almost every old building with apartments and replace them with ugly office-building and malls...the same happened to almost all swedish cities during that period.

The people lives in a sprawl around the citycenter, in apartment blocks or in private houses. The city-center is therfore very small for a city with 80.000 inhabitants. Växjö is mostly a sprawl with low urbanity.

After 18.00 the center is almost dead and desolut and the politicians in Växjö desperately try to reverse this with new developments. The problem is that its to expensive to build in Sweden so ordinary people can`t afford to buy new apartments and the builders hesitate for that reason to build.

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
In the sixties they torn down almost every old building with apartments and replace them with ugly office-building and malls...the same happened to almost all swedish cities during that period.
Selective angles in this thread or not, aside from those necessary boxes quite much of Växjö's historical character seems to be still left. Over here that 60's-70's renewal mania turned countless cute little town centers into boxy asphalt fields even more brutally than in Sweden, I'd say.

Refreshing thread anyways! IMHO self-made photo threads of less presented places are very welcome. :)

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Nice, rare! I can see some old buildings are left, and the church is nice. Do you have more pictures of the church? 2 days ago there was a tv show broadcasted in Sweden called "När Domus kom till stan" about how many areas that were torn down to make way for the large department stores in many swedish cities.

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, rare! I can see some old buildings are left, and the church is nice. Do you have more pictures of the church? 2 days ago there was a tv show broadcasted in Sweden called "När Domus kom till stan" about how many areas that were torn down to make way for the large department stores in many swedish cities.
Thanks for your comment.

I don't have any more pictures of the church since my computer crashed a few months ago, but I can take a picture of it soon :)

Btw, I forgot to post the pictures I took of the castle ruin. I'll post them tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts