SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
C'mon Queenslanders, tell me how awesome it's gonna be !
After watching a great race today ( Caruso and Davidson 1 and 2 ) I'm hanging out for the next round, which by my calculations is in 17 days in TOWNSVILLE !
I had big plans to get up there for it, but have now chosen to go to the inaugural Sydney 500 at Homebush in Dec.

·
6,436 Posts
Yeh, the excitment is really building, the hype suggests this will be pretty much the biggest thing to ever happen to Townsville...which probably says a lot. It'll certainly give the local economy a decent boost and hopefully give the city some positive exposure. Btw by appealing to FNQlders your actually asking the opinion of people from Cairns. This here is is just regular NQ :)

Here is a photo I took of part of the track from Castle Hill on Friday (click to enlarge):

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Orioulus - changed it to "Cmon Queenslanders"- if we rely on Cairns people to complement Townsville we'll be waiting a while.....;)

A VERY interesting track layout !!!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
It does look great, the new pit buildings look good, its such a revive to the area too.

I wanna see the babes, **** driving in Townsville during the weekend, Sailors and 100k of visitors.

And the good thing, If your watching it on TV, The Skyline will be highlighted through out it (Tracks close to the city)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
100k of visitors to the V8's? I don't think they even get crowds that big? The chicks at the V8's aren't that hot either they are fair bogan. F1 chicks are the shit.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
That would have to be one of the highest ever for the V8s? Thats basically all of Townsvilles population trackside. Should be a good day the V8's are always fun to watch live except I kind of don't care anymore since the Holden manufacturors don't seem to either.

·
6,436 Posts
100k of visitors to the V8's? I don't think they even get crowds that big? That would have to be one of the highest ever for the V8s? Thats basically all of Townsvilles population trackside.
Last I heard they were EXPECTING ticket sales to reach 100,000, but they were only 80,000 at the time, which was around June 5 (source). The article also says the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide has the highest attendance with around 300,000.

Also, can I just mention that based on ABS figures for June 2008, the current population of Townsville would be about 180,000 (source) :)

·
©
9,473 Posts
Last I heard they were EXPECTING ticket sales to reach 100,000, but they were only 80,000 at the time, which was around June 5 (source). The article also says the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide has the highest attendance with around 300,000.

Also, can I just mention that based on ABS figures for June 2008, the current population of Townsville would be about 180,000 (source) :)
At the time when 80,000 tickets had been sold, i'm pretty sure that's all that had been released. They released the rest after that sometime.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

Wowzers, Its growing fast. Still thats a massive population for a city the size of Townsville. Good to see you guys follow your sports well up north.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
^V8's, NRL, ALeague, NBL, International Cricket, What cant this city host? :banana:

SUPERCARS ... a grandstand on the corner of Charters Towers Rd and Boundary St

V8 building work on fast track

KATHLEEN SKENE l June 26th, 2009

SIX months ago, Reid Park looked more like a mud-wrestling pit than pit lane - but you should see it now.

Project managers Leighton Contractors officially handed the site over to the Townsville City Council last Thursday, and work has now started on temporary fixtures like grandstands, barriers and fencing.

Record rainfall put barely a dent in the construction program for the mammoth project, which will be centre stage for V8 Supercars celebrations in just two weeks.

More than 8000 tonnes of asphalt were laid to create the 2.85km Townsville 400 track, and the project has also included the construction of a 12m-wide, 49m-long bridge and two-level, 185m-long pit building.

Leighton's northern region general manager Darren Weir said completion of the racing precinct was a significant achievement in the face of 1.7m of rainfall early in the year.

"We've had a professional team committed to delivering the project on time and on target to provide a high quality public facility the people of Townsville can be proud of," he said.

Among the finishing touches in progress is a corporate building called the Emporium, which will offer two levels of catered seating for 420 lucky race-goers.

Townsville 400 event manager Kim Faithfull said building the track and buildings on time and on budget had been a huge task.

"We're certainly not relaxing yet, but we're more confident," he said.

"It looks fantastic, and as for the viewing spectators will get, it's just outstanding."

Mr Faithfull said drivers and engineers from the different racing teams had been impressed and excited while inspecting the track.

"It should make for good driving and good racing to watch," he said.

"Once the Emporium's done, that's pretty much it as far as major infrastructure's concerned."

Last minute additions to the track will be added in the week before racing starts, as the roads are closed and more barriers, catering and merchandising stands are constructed.

"Come Tuesday afternoon, when the roads are closed, then it will get hectic again," Mr Faithfull said.

"I'm feeling confident, but I'm not scheduling any golf games until after the race." V8 Supercar Festival Committee chair Tony Parsons congratulated the people who had worked on the track.

"It's looking pretty schmick," he said. "I think it's terrific."

Close to 90,000 tickets have been sold for the inaugural Townsville event.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Less than 2 weeks til the circus hits town.
Bet there's shitloads of autograph signings and shennanigans happening mid week prior to race weekend. Great chance to meet a few of them.
I did lots of that at Clipsal earlier this year,which was awesome.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts