SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gauteng premier launches R11-billion 'post apartheid city'

Speaking at the launch of the Vaal River City in Sedibeng‚ Makhura said provincial government wanted development to take place at a large scale in order to make an impact in the lives of people.

“Every development must meet the needs of our people. We cannot allow municipalities to just sell land to private developers to build small things that are insignificant‚ just petty projects. Just building a Pick'n Pay which is not linked to anything...I know that we must look at the empowerment of black entrepreneurs but work with us on big plans that impact on the quality of life of our people‚” Makhura said.

The premier announced that provincial government was introducing with new strategies to attract private investment. One area of focus was to reduce the period that developers wait for the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)‚ to improve this from about a year to just three months.

“Private sector is willing to come to the party. What government must do is provide leadership and do things fast‚” he said.

Makhura today officially launched the Vaal River City development‚ which is a partnership between provincial government‚ municipalities and the private sector. The municipalities include Midvaal‚ Emfuleni and Sedibeng.

The new development‚ which provincial government says is a “post apartheid city”‚ will be built at a cost of about R11-billion. It will be anchored on the Vaal River which flows through different areas in the Vaal Triangle.

The development includes:

municipalities and government offices which will provide all the public sector services to the community;

the community will also enjoy 60 000 square-metres of retail and lifestyle developments;

40‚000 square-metres of office space;

20 hectares of park land including cycling and pedestrian paths;

5‚000 mixed housing units; and -a bus transport system.

The development will be built on 250 hectares of land which has 6 kilometers of river frontage.

A total of 10‚000 jobs are expected to be created during construction and 19‚000 at the operational phase.

Construction is expected to begin before the end of 2015.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:picard:

What exactly is a post apartheid city? One that has a Food Market opening up to a fancy jetty?

Gauteng government at it again!

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Yeah.. wtf is this Post-Apartheid city nonsense?

Provincial Government should be kicked in the teeth for that crap.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
^^It is a city built after the demise of apartheid (a bit self-explanatory). Why do you find that so offensive?

This is getting pathetic. Are you guys really going to cry into your drinks every time a new development is announced in Gauteng?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just to clear up the confusion.. post in this instance means after, and well we all know what Apartheid is. Therefore you put 2 and 2 together and voila, after Apartheid.

So my gut tells me they are trying to say that this city is an after Apartheid city, cant argue with them there, and it maybe will lack the racial segregation aspects of pre-apartheid cities in South Africa, something that may be accepted as normal. But who knows.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
^^You can't actually be suggesting that TB and Dynamoe don't actually know that post means "after the fact" surely? I think their objection is the mention of the word apartheid surely?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thank you Nostra. I was just about to say the same thing. People gets all giddy and antsy the moment they hear the word "Apartheid". They start making some sarcastic remarks because they feel like they are being judged.

A post-apartheid city is one that you don't need a "pass" to live and work in. Period. Is that clear enough!!

Reactions: Pule

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Gents gents gents! We understand that a post Apartheid city is built "after" Apartheid. But isn't building a city in 2015 "post" by definition!

But you are missing the point, (you sure you guys don't work for Gauteng government). What characteristics, features, design elements or whatever you want to call it does a post apartheid city have? Because building new 'cities' sound very Apartheid to me!

Its sound like typical political hogwash!

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
STOP IT!!! Let's talk about the City which excites me to the bone. We in the Vaal are very excited about this development. We finally got a city :dance:

There's nothing wrong with the post apartheid city statement.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
It is in the close proximity to Vanderbijlpark...it will be a neighbor of Emerald Casion and Safari resort. At the moment there's nothing much interesting in the area.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
So in essence. In the middle of nowhere!
Nope, it will be surrounded by Sasolburg, Vereeniging and Vanderbijlpark towns. What I mean is that there's not much to write home about that side.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ok, so if I am a low paid/skilled worker and I live in Vaal River City. How fair would I have to travel to economic opportunities?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts