SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not far at all, the whole region is full of factories and industrial companies. Sasol for one, Arcelor Mittal, BASF and quite a lot more. It essentialy is an industrial area with only a few nice places so to have a modern looking city like this will make the Vaal quite an attraction.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So this 'City' is just mostly going to be residential? With the work opportunities outside of the boundaries?

Also, does anybody know about Savanna City, or is there a thread on it?

·
22,929 Posts
Just to clear up the confusion.. post in this instance means after, and well we all know what Apartheid is. Therefore you put 2 and 2 together and voila, after Apartheid.

So my gut tells me they are trying to say that this city is an after Apartheid city, cant argue with them there, and it maybe will lack the racial segregation aspects of pre-apartheid cities in South Africa, something that may be accepted as normal. But who knows.
But why the need to even raise the term apartheid? It makes the statement come across as antagonistic

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
So this 'City' is just mostly going to be residential? With the work opportunities outside of the boundaries?

Also, does anybody know about Savanna City, or is there a thread on it?
Savanna "city" is not far from the place, less than 15 minutes drive. Savanna is more like affordable residential area with small retail.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had a look at Savanna City. To me that looks more feasible. Something that is part of an existing town etc.

Building these new towns does not work!

But why the need to even raise the term apartheid? It makes the statement come across as antagonistic
Thank you!!!!

And a qoute from the article Dysan posted. . .

It is in stark contrast to the call for infill development to better integrate already existing urban areas which remain divided due to the apartheid spatial legacy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh flip haha ok my bad but anyways regardless of the whole post-apartheid thing, I think if this goes ahead we are looking at a massive megalopolis of PTA, JHB and now the Vaal. They should inevitably call it Gauteng City haha!

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Vaal River City project gains traction

BY ALISTAIR ANDERSON, 18 MAY 2015, 11:11

THE new R11bn Vaal River City metro development, which will be built along the Vaal River over the next five years under the Sedibeng municipality, is gaining traction.

On Friday, the Vaal River City Development Company said it had received the master plan for the development from Fourways-based DBM Architects.

The Vaal River City Development Company is a special purpose vehicle, which was established in 2008 by a broad-based black economic empowerment consortium, to spearhead the development.

The consortium is headed by Reggie Kukama, an architect and businessman. Mr Kukama is the CEO of the development company. He has partnered with property developer Giuseppe Plumari, who is CEO of Steyn City Properties, the company behind the Steyn City mega development in Midrand.

The Vaal area is one of the five new economic corridors that have been introduced by the Gauteng provincial government.

The Vaal River City will consist of 400,000m² of offices, 60,000m² of retail space, a bird sanctuary 20ha in size and 5,000 residential units.

Mr Plumari said the city development was intended to give all people living in the Vaal area access to its facilities. He said they would be careful to ensure the sensitive environmental areas near the development were not damaged.

The new Vaal River City Development is positioned to re-generate the industrial node in the south of Gauteng, which is situated near Vanderbijlpark and Vereeniging.

The consortium acquired the land from Steyn City Properties.

"We identified that the unique position of this land central to three urban centres and in the middle of a major route network, with waterfront accessibility, is a prime location for development. It was a case of identifying a BEE consortium with the right vision and skills set that could deliver, and Mr Kukama had these credentials," said Mr Plumari at a presentation on Friday.

"The new development company owns the land outright and has the commitment of government to partner with them towards contributing services and infrastructure. This new mega settlement is an excellent opportunity for investors who want to assist government in their development criteria for future generations," he said.

Howard Rawlings, who works for Steyn City Properties and is an advisor on the Vaal City project, said he would ensure that the project complied with sustainable building requirements and that it improved access to facilities for people living in the area.

"We will effectively develop a new economy here. We are building as sustainably as we can. We hope to break ground in the next few months," he said.

Nishal Mistry, the head of design for DBM architects, which is the main architect firm involved in the project, said a key aspect was developing a very strong civil component.

"The civic buildings such as a department of home affairs, courthouse and police station are carefully placed near the living areas," he said.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ok, so here is a map which has answered my question of where this is located. Just thought that I would share it.

So I take my previous comment back. This is not located in the middle of nowhere.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Thanks for the map Dynamoe, that's a good location right there.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
The other day I was going to assist my client in Vanderbijlpark and I drove there using R59. The traffic there suprised me and I hope that the GPG have got some good plans of linking Joburg and Ekurhuleni municipalities with the new Vaal River City.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts