SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These photos are taken by me last weekend (9.4.2005) when I walked around the city of Vaasa (or Vasa in Swedish) looking for a pair of new shoes. The city is the sunniest in Finland indeed, and like most of the old "garden" towns, looks best in the summer, but this day happened to be a gray Saturday in April.

Finns do not have to comment since I've shown these pics with some extra ones in Talo Forum already. ;)

I have to admit that I only took 1 to 2 photos of each target, alas some of them never made it to my server.

Hotel Astor Wasa near the Railway Station

MediCentra - some sort of medical building

A Woody Corner

Hartmaninkuja alley under construction

Hovrättsesplanaden 12

Lutheran Cathedral

Secondary School

Fiskstrand (Kalaranta) with Administrative Court building

"For the Aviators of Finland"

Factory Grounds

The Court of Appeal

Hovrättsesplanaden (Hovioikeudenpuistikko)

Hovrättsesplanaden, Part II

Town Hall

Administrative Building

The Old Water Tower - works as panorama tower in the summer

Hartmann palace near the Central Market

Walking towards the Railway Station

View from the Railway Station front door

Coming up in June: More sunny photos of the dowtown and the ruins/remained buildings of old Wasa.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Romas said:
Thanks for pictures.
Nice buildings of the beginning of 20th century.
Are the other pictures from 20-30ies?
Eldest are from late 1800's, because the old town was burned down in ~1850, and the new city of Nikolaistad was founded closer by the sea.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Vasa is one of Finland's most Swedish towns. The city looks like a mix of Stockholm and Uppsala and it has the atmosphere of a Swedish city like some other cities in Finland like Mariehamn. It's named after king Gustav Vasa.

I really love some of the buildings in Vasa.

·
User
719 Posts
Thanks for the tour. Even with grey weather this city looks nice. I like street shots, there aren`t very many cars and everywhere seems to be "tranquil feeling".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vaasa is also a strong contender for having the ugliest city buses of all Finnish towns :) The only real competitor is Hämeenlinna.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice town. Reminds me of Pori (Bjorneborg in Swedish).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moolio said:
Vaasa is a strange town. in this http://www.netikka.net/jukkasah/mjs/wasa/nakyma.jpg pic it looks like nice and relatively dense, but then there are these areas which aren't urban at all. I can't make up my mind if I like it or not.
Have ye been there? Yeah, the truth is that mostly only the newer parts of the downtown are truly urban, but I like that small-town feeling, especially in the summer. And the fact is that there aren't more than 75 000 inhabitants in Vaasa. I try to snap some suburban commieblock photos next time...

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
75'000? Sounds too much. I've heard it's closer 55'000 or so. I dunno. In Finland it's really difficult to tell a city's or town's pop since we're probably the only country in Europe where the word "town" refers to the whole municipality populationwise. Oh, and no, I've never been there, but I'd surely like to go there someday.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
I agree with Maris that it does resemble Pori (Björneborg) slightly. My family originates from near there.. a town called Norrmark which is very very beautiful. The town is visited by architects from around the world as it features masterpieces by Aalto and one of the world's greatest private houses from the last century + many old Nordic wooden houses and mansions, parks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moolio said:
75'000? Sounds too much. I've heard it's closer 55'000 or so.
Dang. :D That's right, it's 57 000. I find it kinda funny that a town that has over 50 000 inhabitants is officially already a "big city" in Finland. Doesn't really matter because only the word "city" is used in everyday language. I tend to call some very small towns "kauppala" (borough or the former name for a small town) though. :D

·
Illustrator
6,672 Posts
If this is the sunniest town in Finland - how is the least sunny town when?! (just kidding).
Nice photos, beautiful buildings. I think it looks much like Sweden. It is very nice to see other cities then the most famous ones.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts