SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving up ann st and noticed that there's a fairly large crane on the site next to the empire hotel on ann st.. the one that has family advertising over the orange fence and is next to mustang..

...so what's going in there? i hope it's not a unit tower, that'd absolutely suck in terms of noise regs for the empire/family/alhumbra/mustang/press club/sunbar/monastry!!! ahhaha, shit, a lot of clubs on that block now that i think about it.

i had a search on the council website for a DA but couldnt find one. the empire currently has a DA in to add a 25sqm 'smokers deck' to their roof, but that's it... im guessing that they might have got a DA some time ago.. does anybody remember it or have the plans?

whilst i was snooping around on the DA site i found a few other things as well..

a nightclub on mclachlan st next to dooleys was approved last month, will be interesting to see what happens there over the next few months.. anyone know much about this as well? looks pretty decent!!

i also noticed an application for a 'live music and arts venue' at 610 ann st.. the plans are pretty vague by the applicant is ben eltham who manages the straight out of brisbane festival.. so that'll be interesting!! it's a small space but i reckon they'll do something good with it!! dosnt look to be a nightclub venue tho, more of a multi-use space. dosn't have a permanent bar for example..

also noticed an application has been lodged to develop a boutique hotel in the building on the cnr of ann and brunswick opposite the empire hotel (on the empire hotel side of ann st).. above new york slice and the kebab shop.

also noticed there were plans lodged to redevelop bad girls last year, which have been approved. they are going to add 4 shops fronting ann st in the currently-vacant space next to the club entrance, and also develop a nightclub upstairs. whether the nightclub is an extension to bad girls or not is unclear, but it looks like it's going to be in the old space that was used for rise.

and finally, on wickham st opposite cash convertors there is a shopfront boarded up with a sign for tonic architects on it.. apparently a club is being built in that space that's going to be verrrrrry impressive. apparently they are redeveloping an existing space, so no DA was required.. does anyone know much about this either?

cheers and beers !!

- dan

·
New Urbanist
5,538 Posts
dan said:
also noticed an application has been lodged to develop a boutique hotel in the building on the cnr of ann and brunswick opposite the empire hotel (on the empire hotel side of ann st).. above new york slice and the kebab shop.
Cool! I hope its big! like the Langham, they are classified as boutique hotels...And that would be a good place for one...

This is the best hotel EVER! well the best i've stayed at, Brisbane needs a Langham NOW!!!

·
i've changed my mind
3,854 Posts
i know the site youre talking about is owned by the same mafia family that owns empire/press club/family and 'number 12' (next to family)... they pretty much own the whole block. i doubt they would want to put unit blocks there... i was hopeing they either extend family cause its way to small now with all the str8 yuppies invading, or build a whole new club :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soulvision; they are redeveloping the existing space, not building a new tower. it will continue to be 3-4 stories high.

danubis; pretty sure they didnt own no.12 and they don't own alhambra

·
New Urbanist
5,538 Posts
dan said:
soulvision; they are redeveloping the existing space, not building a new tower. it will continue to be 3-4 stories high.

danubis; pretty sure they didnt own no.12 and they don't own alhambra
Dam! we will one day, we will...
get a langham that is...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can buy tickets for family events at lots of places :>

seems no one has any info on the empire DA :/ buggerrrrr!!!

·
©
9,473 Posts
Found out that Empire is adding onto the back of the building on that vacant lot. Apparently they lodged a DA a few years back for something like an outdoor/beer garden type thing and another level (can't remember what was going to be on it though) plus now they've got the smokers deck as well. Apparently the new area is going to be pretty swish. Fringe Bar is also putting in a smokers deck.

There is also another club U/C in the Happy Valley Centre on Whickham St. Apparently it is 2000sq/m over 3 levels of bars, dance floor & chill out corners. It's also supposed to have a fairly big sound system. Opening soon, does anyone know this place?

P.S. Has anyone been to Uber in West End? Whats it like?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wezza said:
P.S. Has anyone been to Uber in West End? Whats it like?
Yep, I've been there. Very busy place, and nice if you're into the trashy club type of thing. :) I was pretty gone at the time so can't give you much details other than it's dark and large enough to get a little lost in after you've had one or two.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wezza; yeah, that's what i heard as well.. i was hoping to get a copy of the DA..! have you got any contacts in council that would be able to pass along a pdf? i've asked a few mates but havnt had any luck..

heard about the happy valley club.. dont know much about what the music policy will be like or when it'll open, but it's going to be fairly swish from what i've heard... and might be a replacement to the arena.

and yeah, been to uber. dunno what you mean about trashy trawler, i'd rate it as the classiest club in the whole of brisbane. very nice place.. great fitout, good service, excellent sound.. good outdoors area, nice restaurant. only drawback is that they get a bit of an uppity crowd in there on a usual night.. i only go when there's someone on i want to see, otherwise it's a bit of a fashion fest. still think it's a great club tho.

·
Registered
412 Posts
dan said:
dunno what you mean about trashy trawler, i'd rate it as the classiest club in the whole of brisbane. very nice place.. great fitout, good service, excellent sound.. good outdoors area, nice restaurant. only drawback is that they get a bit of an uppity crowd in there on a usual night..
I guess it's just not my scene. It was OK, but I guess I'm more a pub person than a club person. Just wasn't that impressed. IMO Chalk Hotel has a much better fitout. Will be interesting to see how the ANH turns out.

·
©
9,473 Posts
Might check Uber out on the weekend when i'm in town then.

Sorry dan, don't know anyone in the council that could help you. The new club in the valley has been mooted as an arena replacement. It's supposed to have an arena type hall. Would be kinda sad to see arena replaced though, as much of a dive as it is, i think it serves it's purpose pefectly!! :)

·
i've changed my mind
3,854 Posts
wtf has happened to that club between the press club and mustang bar?? the shell was built in like a month (giant speakers facing the road) and now nothing has happend for like a year?!?!

whats the story??

·
©
9,473 Posts
I'm in town this weekend, Sarah Main @ Met should be okay i think. Might go for a look. Can't have to big of a night, got a wedding to attend on Saturday.... :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Its a new, as yet un-named club, owned by the family that owns Family, has a large open air retracting roof and will have a capacity of 1800-2000. 4 stories, open air club. Was supposed to open in March I heard.

·
and COKE please
357 Posts
^^
IS that the one next to the Mustang Bar. Yeah, it looks good.
The Met is bloody good. Went for the first time the other weekend. A bit more of a friendlier vibe than the family.

The open air nightclub sounds awesome. Something you would see in Greece, Croatia or somewhere like Cairns of Whitsundays or something (i.e more of a holiday club than a city club).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts