Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't already know, that murderous bitch died last night. She won't be missed.

POLICE hope Barrie Watts will give up more murder secrets now that his ex-wife and murderous accomplice Valmae Beck is dead.

Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson, who led the Kingi investigation in 1987, said Beck, had taken secrets to the grave including those around the murder of Helen Mary Feeney, a 31-year-old student killed in late 1987, and possibly others.

But he said police would not give up on learning the extent of the crimes perpetrated by Beck and her "psychotic killer" husband.

Atkinson's view: Beck took secrets to the grave

Valmae Beck died at 64, alone in Townsville Hospital last night.

Mr Atkinson said Watts was now the sole keeper of the couple's secrets and police would seize any opportunity to encourage him to come clean.

Watts was acquitted of Ms Feeney's murder in 1995 but last year promised to reveal her resting place before reneging.

"He's our last hope now," Mr Atkinson said.

"No one else can provide that information now that Valmae Beck is deceased. But we won't give up on that and if there's any window of opportunity at all we will pursue that."

But he acknowledged the probability of ever learning the truth was stacked against police.

"I don't want to sound pessimistic with that but on balance it's probably more unlikely than likely, but we'll always keep trying," he said.

Mr Atkinson said that while police knew of the deaths of Sian and Helen, and the attempted abduction of two nurses and a woman from a shopping centre - all in 1987 - he was positive there were more victims.

"Given the fact that (Beck and Watts) were so active, so ruthless, so organised, I find it difficult to believe that the only things they did were the ones we know about," he said.

He said the positive was that Beck had fulfilled her sentence of "life in prison" and justice had been served.

However, acting Chief Superintendent Alan Bourke, who also worked on the Kingi case, said he feared Watt, who is serving a life sentence, would one day be released.

"He was the principal person that was instigating these acts for his sexual gratification," Supt Bourke said.

"(He was) simply a predator out there preying on people and I'm of fervent belief he has showed absolutely no remorse in relation to any of these crimes at all.

"And my fear is that if he is ever released in society he will re-offend."

No next of kin were with Beck when she was declared dead at 6.15pm, more than three weeks after she was admitted to hospital suffering shortness of breath.

Grossly overweight and with a history of poor health, Beck fell into a critical condition and was placed in a medically induced coma after undergoing minor heart surgery.

Although she regained semi-consciousness about 10 days later and was considered "stable", medical staff described Beck as incoherent and unresponsive.

The mother-of-six had served almost 20 years of a life sentence for the shocking 1987 murder of 12-year-old Noosa schoolgirl Sian Kingi.

Acting Police Minister Robert Schwarten said Beck "got a life sentence and it turned out to be that".

"Right until the end, she was no assistance to police."

"Harsh as it may sound, and people may judge me on that, I don't think there will be many Queenslanders who would shed a tear in her direction and there would be some who would cheer."

Soon after going to jail, Beck changed her name to Fay Cramb and apparently "found God", undergoing a full immersion baptism at Brisbane Jail, known as Boggo Road in 1991.

Over the years, Beck piled on the weight as a result of her "cooking" jobs in prison and was believed to be 98kg at the time of her death - considered morbidly obese for her 160cm frame.

While in hospital Beck had just two visitors, Stephanie Gunton - believed to be her daughter - and the Townsville Correctional Centre Catholic prison chaplain Father Patrick Quinty who delivered her last rites almost three weeks ago.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23768237-3102,00.html

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
I remember this one.

I was a couple of years older than Sian and had a friend who lived on Allambi Terrace, just metres from where she was abducted.

This was huge news back then. Im sure it probably made the national news just like Samantha Knight a few years before.

One thing always gets me. How people can take the life of a child in the most heinous way for momentary gratification? Even though I have worked with people like Watts and Beck- I kind of know why but still don't fully understand their justification. These guys were brazen in how they took her in broad daylight as she walked home from school. There's no doubt they took others.

If she did really find religion, I'd a thunk it a given she should have told her priest before she died.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
She got everything she deserved. There was big talk about this up north a few weeks back, that people who needed heart surgerory couldnt get it because "Valmae" was priority. They should of let her dies a cold and painful death than wasting beds in the Townsville hospital. Also does anyone know why she was serving her life sentence in Townsville?

·
#pantherpride
1,562 Posts
Never heard of her either until last night. From the footage I saw, she was an absolute bush pig.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
There was big talk about this up north a few weeks back, that people who needed heart surgerory couldnt get it because "Valmae" was priority. They should of let her dies a cold and painful death than wasting beds in the Townsville hospital.
This is absolute nonsense - she had minor heart surgery that was not a priority. There was no influence to other patients. There was a media blow-up of the story, continuing several days despite that follow up indicated it was false.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Good riddance.

This is a very famous case in Queensland, this filth lured a 12 year old girl so she could be abducted, raped and murdered by her husband (Watts) in 1987. She knew exactly what he was intending to do, and sat by and watched as he did it.

In general I am in favour of true life jail sentences as opposed to capital punishment. But in extreeme cases like this, where the evidence is 100% proven and where the victims have been murdered solely for the reason of hiding the crime (murdering a rape victim to prevent them identifying the criminal) then I think the likes of Beck and Watts should have been executed. Not relaxing in jail cells since, doing art and cooking classes, getting fat and watching TV.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...l-haunts-nation/2008/05/07/1210131039392.html

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
The trouble with the death penalty is that jurors are less inclined to convict - in case they've made a mistake and can't live with the consequences. They seem to be more willing to find the "reasonable doubt".

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
The trouble with the death penalty is that jurors are less inclined to convict - in case they've made a mistake and can't live with the consequences. They seem to be more willing to find the "reasonable doubt".
Well, what about the US system? - the jury first determines guilt/innocence then participates in the sentencing procedure and delivers another verdict on death...

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I'm not familiar with that but would be interested if you have some more info.

I was referring to studies in Australia and England (many years ago) before the death sentence was abolished and where the jurors were aware that a conviction meant a mandatory death sentence - such as the old wilful murder offence (nowdays it has been rolled into the murder offence within the homicide provisions of most criminal codes or crimes acts).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts