Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
745 Thurlow Street
DE: Rezoning
Use: 22-storey office tower, with other commercial uses at grade, with height of 300 feet and FSR of 14.0
Zoning: DD to CD-1
Application Status: RZ
Architect: Musson Cattell, Mackey
Review: First
Staff: Phil Mondor/Ralph Segal

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yay! Haha. Seriously, this is something to rejoice. When I first looked at that picture, I thought something was weird and I didn't even notice the badly spliced Bentall 5, haha.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even though the height is still disappointing, I guess this is still something to celebrate. ANYTHING but more stinkin, all the same looking condos.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bentall plans to build 22-storey office tower
400,000-square-foot project to fill downtown need for space

Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, June 15, 2007

Bentall Capital wants to build downtown Vancouver's first new all-office skyscraper in more than five years, a 22-storey, 400,000-square-foot development at Thurlow and Alberni.

Bentall applied to the city for a development permit for the site this week because "the market needs more office space," according to Tony Astles, senior vice-president of Bentall Real Estate Services.

Speculation around who would step in to build the next new office building has swirled around Vancouver as downtown's office vacancy rate dwindled -- to an all-time low of 3.5 per cent, according to commercial realtor CB Richard Ellis in its latest report.

Astles said Bentall will build the tower on behalf of the province's big public-sector pension fund, British Columbia Investment Management Corp (BCiMC).

"It's a very attractive location," Astles said, across the street from the 61-storey Shangri-La tower, and the new tower "will be an extraordinarily attractive building."

Bentall is proceeding with the project without an anchor tenant. But Astles said the company is confident it will be able to find a marquee name to rent space.

"We've done it before," he added.

The office tower will replace a number of restaurants, a liquor store and parking garage. It will also add to BCiMC's downtown real estate portfolio, which includes the MacMillan Bloedel building and Evergreen building. The project's architect, Musson Cattell, Mackey, will appear before the City of Vancouver's urban design panel's June 20 meeting to discuss the project.

Meanwhile, the City of Vancouver has managed to stall further conversions of office buildings into condo towers, and forced two condo projects in the core -- the Hotel Georgia and the Bay Parkade -- to include a small proportion of office space, about 80,000 sq. ft. each. But neither project is due to be complete before the Winter Olympics.

[email protected]

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

The Bay Parkade project will have a lot more than 80,000 square feet of office, i believe it's actually more than triple that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do we know how developers as an industry feel about the moratorium on condo conversions? Do they see it as something that ultimately will be good for the city or is it a huge restriction and deterrent in doing business in vancouver?

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do we know how developers as an industry feel about the moratorium on condo conversions? Do they see it as something that ultimately will be good for the city or is it a huge restriction and deterrent in doing business in vancouver?
They don't like it at all since they profit a lot more from building and selling condos as suppose to renting out office space. Look at Rennie for example who markets condos, he's against it completely....for obvious reasons, $.

·
Registered
310 Posts
But surely they see that a whole isle of condos will turn us into an inverse suburb? I mean, don't they realize that having office towers in the mix only helps densify downtown? Or is there research that counters that thinking?

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But surely they see that a whole isle of condos will turn us into an inverse suburb? I mean, don't they realize that having office towers in the mix only helps densify downtown? Or is there research that counters that thinking?
Of course they know.....but they all want the profits condos give them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More office space planned for Oakridge Shopping Centre Redevelopmnet

There is also more office space planned in the huge redevelopment concept for the Oakridge Shopping Centre--Vancouver. I research construction and development for a living (Reed Construction Data/Journal of Commerce www.joconl.com) and here is the latest I have on this:

PREPARING PLANS
SHOPPING CENTRE & OFFICE EXPANSION;
$70,000,000 est
VANCOUVER, Greater Vancouver RD, BC
Oakridge Shopping Centre,650 W 41 Ave & Cambie
St, V5Z 2M9

OWNER: Ivanhoe Cambridge Ltd, Gordon Wylie, Ste
700, 650 W 41 Ave, Vancouver BC V5Z 2M9
604-263-2672 Fax 604-278-7007
COORD: Oakridge Shopping Centre, Ste 319 N Office
Tower, 650 W 41 Ave, Vancouver BC V5Z 2M9
604-264-9221 Fax 604-263-0711
ARCH: Stantec Architecture Ltd, Peter Riggles-
worth, Ste 1100, 111 Dunsmuir St, Vancouver BC
V6B 6A3 604-696-8000 Fax 604-696-8100
PROJECT: 530,000 sq ft approx; proposed expansion
to the shopping centre may include 330,000 sq
ft of retail space including new street-front
retail along Cambie & High Sts; & 200,000 sq
ft of new office space; new u/g prkg.
Construction start 2008.
approved by the City's Standing Committee Mar
15/07. A formal rezoning application will be
made by late Summer/early Fall 2007. In con-
ceptual planning only. Formal design will com-
mence in 2008. Further update at the end of
2007. See the related Condominium Apartments
project.
First report May 10, 2007.
NOTE: To see a copy of the Oakridge Centre Policy
Planning Program on the following website:
www.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/oak-
ridge/.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ wow, i didn't realize the Oakridge expansion would include that much new office space. thx.

btw, welcome to skyscrapercity canada!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought that little lane/street that runs through it is pedestrian exclusive. in that picture, it looks like it has a driveway leading into it.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought that little lane/street that runs through it is pedestrian exclusive. in that picture, it looks like it has a driveway leading into it.
That's not pedestrian exclusive, the city said it will be a new city road.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't tell from the rendering, but will the current rooftop parking be preserved?
There won't be any rooftop or ground parking at all. All parking will be moved underground and a second floor of shopping will be added to the mall, as well as streetfront retail.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Very nice proposal and great addition, but will be almost "infill" next to the nearby Shangri-La.
Not complaining though! It is these type projects that really build a city, not the occassional glamour project.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Once it's approved on Sept. 26 then Bentall 6 will become a reality and they can tear down that ugly parkade across from Shangri-La, along with that Liquor store that attracts the wrong element late at nights.

I asked at the Liquor Store and they're supposed to be out by end of the month. They're moving to a vacant spot only a block away.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Looks like a bad version of Central City, and the angled glass planes look so arbitrary. If the building has to be short and fat due to zoning, what's wrong with building an honest and well-textured box?

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
they don't care they get their money and get out of Dodge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts