Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there's a thread already for this one, but...

mysighTs on flickr

Looks just like the Palisades towers from 1995, but cheaper and uglier... and with spandrels

www.6717000.com

Sigh, they don't build them like they used to...

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
That's the one down by the library, right?

Something about the "oval" shape of the building harmonizing with the library architecture, I believe is the intent.

Certainly not iconic, but it's no commie block. Massive podium, looks like, with good street interaction.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last 10 years brought us a few gems, but looking at the overall quality of the latest crop of high-rises... I start to prefer the nautical simplicity of the previous decade (90's/early 2000's). At some point, architects stopped using pure curtain glass podiums and began putting ugly mullions everywhere

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's the one down by the library, right?

Something about the "oval" shape of the building harmonizing with the library architecture, I believe is the intent.

Certainly not iconic, but it's no commie block. Massive podium, looks like, with good street interaction.

I live directly across Homer St. from Atelier and it now fills my view. I am thankful that the facade facing me is curved. A flat one would have been even more oppressive and view obliterating.

I think the slender profile and rounded shape (as seen from the library square) is visually pleasing and blocks less sun. Perhaps the flat sides of the tower allowed the developer to squeeze in a little more density without going higher or wider. The curves tie in with the library, the Westin Grand, and even TV Towers.

The final shape of the tower was simply the most practical solution to a challenging development site with constraints on all sides. Shaping and positioning towers in consideration and deference to their neighbours seems to happen a lot more in Vancouver. How quintessentially Canadian... polite, but can be a little boring.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
^^
mcminsen, welcome to the boards.

Keep us updated, especially with street level retailers that might be leasing in that big podium. :)

·
dE/dm
2,417 Posts
Doesn't appear to be a thread for the dolce and vita tower and I don't have any details about it to start one, but I'd still like to post this photo taken today just as a memorial day flyby passed overhead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.