SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2780 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Varna ( Bulgarian: Варна ) is the third largest city in Bulgaria after Sofia and Plovdiv, with a population of 351,552(10.01.2006) . It is the capital of Varna Province and an important port in the eastern part of the country, located on the Black Sea coast close to Lake Varna.

Varna, the biggest city on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast is commonly referred as the Sea Capital of Bulgaria. The city was also the base of the Bulgarian Navy. Currently, there is a Naval Museum with a museum ship torpedo boat Drazki. The archaeological museum contains some of the finds from the so-called "Gold of Varna", a cache of Chalcolithic grave-goods which are the oldest gold treasure in the world.

]

Varna during winter time

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
lOOKS GREAT!!!!! Beautiful City

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
It's really nice place...

I like this building of... Drama theatre , right? :)

·
it's always the same
714 Posts
He are some pics of the Christmas decoration in Varna.It looks really nice,and as i understood the whole centre of the city is decorated like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 1st post here ;)
Sorry for bringing an old topic on top... anyways - a crappy panoramic photo of Varna. I hope that next time I'll be better equipped

2,3 mb png file

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
I love this city!

Hey Bulgarians, you should really take better care of this thread. There is so much more to see from Varna.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
When I was a kid I loved going over the Asparuhov most
Varna has no skyscrapers but it nonetheless has a good skyline when you come from the west on the highway, or when you're at Galata, mostly because it's on a plateau above the sealine
Great city, hope they take care of it so that it develops well

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
It's a good questions. Many countries on the same latitude as Bulgaria, Croatia for example, have palm trees, but we don't. Our winters are too harsh unfortunately.

But it you look at it from a positive point of view, we have a booming ski industry.

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,385 Posts
Looks really nice! Not russian :eek:hno: French more like ...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
When I was a kid I loved going over the Asparuhov most
Varna has no skyscrapers but it nonetheless has a good skyline when you come from the west on the highway, or when you're at Galata, mostly because it's on a plateau above the sealine
Great city, hope they take care of it so that it develops well
Black sea is not Mediterranean, It's open to the north , there are no mountains to protect the influx of cold air from Siberia . That's why there's no Mediterranean vegetation . Some spots on Black Sea like Sochi in Russia for example have microclimate and it's milder than elswhere so they can have palmtrees.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Why are you quoting me? :D
But yeah, in some winters the cold artic air just rushes in along the coast like a funnel, and it gets freezing cold, but otherwise it's not Quebec, even though harsh winters are always spectacular with the ice along the sea, etc.

They have palms in pots that they take out in the seagarden during the summers.

1 - 20 of 2780 Posts