1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
London Developments

LONDON DEVELOPMENTS

Civil service blamed for West End slowdown;

the drive to take more than 20,000 civil servants out of London has been blamed for office take-up in the West End plunging to its lowest level since 1992. Jones Lang LaSalle said that 420,872sq ft of office space was leased in the West End in the first quarter of the year, compared to 1,171,661sq ft leased in the City in the same period. In the fourth quarter of 2004 the total for the West End was 1.1m sq ft. Public and government bodies accounted for about 30 per cent of the space leased in the West End last year but in the first quarter this had fallen to only 12 per cent. Jones Lang expect that take-up in the West End in 2005 will now be less than last year. However Land Securities said that the first quarter figures did not change their view that there will be a steady recovery in the West End this year. They have reported that P&O are joining 3i in moving their head office to Land Sec’s Cardinal Place development. In another development Google are likely to move to Belgrave House also in Victoria. Two city moves are State Street Bank, which is taking 200,000sq ft at 120 Cheapside and Robson Rhodes moving to Finsbury Square. For further information click here.Times 12.04.05 and Estates Gazette 16.04.05

Proposed Vauxhall Tower

Lambeth 50-storey tower gets nod from ODPM;

St George, the developer behind the plans for a 50-storey residential tower, has been informed by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) that it intends to give the go-ahead for the Vauxhall Tower, providing the company resolves outstanding issues relating to affordable housing. The application had been turned down three times by Lambeth Council as well as by an independent inspector. They had expressed worries about the size and location of the tower as well as the affordable housing element. A final decision is expected in May. Plans for more residential towers were also released for City Road in Islington. A consortium formed by Groveworld, British Waterways and Miller Developments have submitted plans for three towers of 28, 15 and 6 storeys at 259 City Road. Estates Gazette 09.04.05

Lipton bids for £1bn Canning Town project;

bidding through his new Stanhope Places venture, Sir Stuart Lipton has teamed up with Lend Lease, the Australian property group, to bid for the £1bn regeneration scheme for Canning Town in Newham. Other groups interested in bidding include Quintain, Taylor Woodrow and Barratt. The proposed scheme includes 7,000 new homes. Times 12.04.05

Final bids to redevelop the Elephant & Castle;

bids to redevelop the Elephant & Castle were submitted to Southwark Council on April 18. According to the Independent on Sunday, more than 20 bids were expected including St Modwen, who own the current shopping centre, and Multiplex, the Australian property and construction company that last year bought Chelsfield. A surprise last-minute bidder was Canary Wharf. However the ‘Sindie’ lays a great deal of emphasis on the joint bid submitted by Elliott Bernard, the former chairman of Chelsfield, and Mallory Clifford, whose Blackfriars Investments have been very active in the SE1 area. Their bid called “Fighting for Southwark” is deemed to be radical, particularly on the housing front where they have teamed up with Richard Lefrak, a leading New York landlord. They are planning 5,500 homes to be rented out on a not-for-profit basis which should be 25 per cent below market rents. The consortium, which is to be called ‘Oceancrest’, is pledging to stay on site for 15 years and has won backing from Royal London Asset Management and the Bank of Scotland. The rest of the development will include 800,000sq ft of shops and leisure facilities and will be themed as London’s fashion quarter. Independent on Sunday 17.04.05 and Times 19.04.05

Paddington hospital in “death throes”;

this slightly unfortunate headline in Estates Gazette marks a story that the key site needed by the proposed Paddington Heath Campus is now likely to become a multi-million-pound tower. PDCL, the consortium controlled by Multiplex and the Reuben Brothers have been meeting to agree the details of the new scheme which will end the £1bn mega-hospital proposal which had foundered on government reluctance to meet the asking price for the 3.2-acre site. Westminster Council said that PDCL, the Department of health and the health authorities are still trying to take the health campus forward. Estates Gazette 16.04.05

Multiplex favourites to win Young’s Brewery site;

the Times says that the Australian property group Multiplex are thought to be in pole position to buy the famous Ram Brewery in Wandsworth. Young and Co have brewed beer on the 5.5 acre site since 1831 although the brewery itself was established in 1581. It is thought that the site is likely to be transformed into shops and upmarket apartments although Multiplex are experts at building residential towers. Wandsworth Council said that the site would need to be reclassified from employment land to town centre uses under supplementary planning guidance. However they did see it as a catalyst both in triggering investment into the town centre and in linking the commercial and retail areas of the town. Young’s want to continue brewing in the borough but because of lack of suitable sites may be forced to look elsewhere in London. Times 15.04.05

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I am not responsible for this site, but I would say it is preferable not to multiply the threads for the same topic. The vauxhall tower and other issues related hereabove are reported and commented in the "London Summary" threads or the "Vauxhall Tower" threads.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maybe not, but he is right... for lots of general stories we have the summary threads, and for Vauxhall Tower we have a Vauxhall Tower thread (makes sense, yeah?).

·
1,226 Posts
Wow, I'm really starting to like the Vauxhall Tower now, some of the renderings look stunning. It may not be in the best location but given it's technological advancement and design it's a great development.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think that tower would be better placed in CW, it may sound a bit selfish of me to say, but for a tower to stand out on its own (especialy in London) then it should have a much more elegant look to. take for example LBT designs

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
It won't be on its own for long though - there'll be Vauxhall Bondway Tower, plus a couple of other 600-footers and a few midrises...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh... please dont critisize me if im too late but, St. Georges Wharf's 150m tower is u/c! The area that is going to Booom in the future aswell of lots of others that are conciderably local!

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
@elletijanii

St George's Wharf is a large residential development, of which the "Vauxhall Tower" is just a part.

There are actually several midrises as well, not just the tower.

You can see them here, in this photo by Peyre. They are the green/white buildings with the funny-looking rooves, to the left of the Millbank Tower:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I hate St Georges Wharf....i dread seeing it everytime i come into London at Waterloo. Urgh to think an architect got paid loads to design it........

·
Registered
676 Posts
Why do you hate it?? Any particular reason? I like it and i love that view, its modern, bulky, and contrasts well with parliament. I know the landscaping architecture may not do the public realm any good, but the massing looks brilliant i think..

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Ive never really minded them, sort of blends in, adds interest to the skyline... you could arge that it is a bit vomit inducing in its replication of cladding like a copy and paste function

1 - 20 of 57 Posts