SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My second trip of this year was to Vilnius, where I was in first 2 days of June. This is the first part of my pictures, mixed different places. It is too late to write long comments so let's take a look at pictures.. If you're interested in my observations about the City, feel free to ask.

Vilnius buildings have many balconies...

Weird monument

Jewish sinagogue

On the way to modern Vilnius ("New city centre")

this "graffitti paradise" is right next to New city centre

Vilnius Gates highrise, which is built above the traffic tunnel - I wonder how someone let them to do that, and how the tunnel didn't collapse? But looks impressive :cheers:

I very like Vetruna towers

Next 5 pics from Gedimino prospektas - the main street of the city

Another posh street (although not in all its length) - Vilniaus gatve

Great view over the city from Old Town's south-eastern corner

Arkikatedra Bazilika - another one very nice place

Gedimino prospektas from other side

·
Explorer
571 Posts
haven't been there for 7 years I guess, looks very good!

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
These are great pictures. :) Vilnius looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Really great pics there mate, was rather surprised actually ;)

Clearly can be seen though, that you've visited the city on the weekend - very few people on the streets. While places like Trakai, Moletai, Palanga, Curronian spit,.. are bustling with people.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
wow vilnius looks really beautiful !! I love Gediminas Avenue. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some more pics - most of them are from morning/day of Monday, 2nd June. Want to post also panorama but imageshack allow to upload only til 1.5 mb. Does someone know free picture sharing service where it's possible to upload >6 mb large file?

·
DoM
947 Posts
Amazing photos. Though they are too big (in terms of file size), you should try to optimize them with photoshop or other programs. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazing photos. Though they are too big (in terms of file size), you should try to optimize them with photoshop or other programs. Thanks for sharing. :)
Of course, I process them with photoshop, but if I will resize that panorama in <1.5mb, it will be very small. I should search more in the net, I think there had to be some free services where one can upload larger files.

Thanks to all for comments!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Really nice photos! Vilnius looks really good on them :) I can see that lot's of things has changed since I was there in 2006. Vilnius looks like a really big city and trully european capital, especially because of it's highrises and Gediminas avenue, which for me is one of the best streets in Europe :)
Vecais Sakarnis, what was your feelings about Vilnius? Did you like it? What was the most interesting place or thing for you in this city? You've recently been in Warsaw, maybe you can compare a little bit those cities?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great pictures.
I have a question, since you are from Latvia, how do you communicate with people in Vilnius? Are Latvian and Lithuanian mutually intelligable?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really nice photos! Vilnius looks really good on them :) I can see that lot's of things has changed since I was there in 2006. Vilnius looks like a really big city and trully european capital, especially because of it's highrises and Gediminas avenue, which for me is one of the best streets in Europe :)
Vecais Sakarnis, what was your feelings about Vilnius? Did you like it? What was the most interesting place or thing for you in this city? You've recently been in Warsaw, maybe you can compare a little bit those cities?
Thanks! This was my 3rd time in Vilnius, but first when I was there more than one day. It feels great, though not like big city (in the centre), but like nice historical and cosy (cosy is the key word!!) city. I feel rather like in big city when we drive in from Vilnius-Panevežys highway - there Vilnius looks incredibly urban! Thousands of commieblocks in the area without almost any trees (makes "concrete jungle" feeling), large new construction fields, highrises, supermarkets...
In Old Town, I was surprised how many buildings and streets are renovated and cobblestoned. of course, there are still many places which wait for renovation but in overall it looks developed and great. A bit sad surprise was area around Pylimo street southern part where it was quite dirty - in some places even newspapers, bottles and similar garbage was scattered around the pavements. But that was just one area, other city was clean (maybe janitor of that area celebrated birthday that day :) ).
It's hard to define "the best place", I liked many places, but some of the best was Arkikatedra Bazilika square and Gedimino street, also Rotušes square and Vokiečiu street where I had a meal in nice street cafe. I liked also those many narrow Old Town streets with 2-3 floor buildings. Užupis with its' hill was interesting place as well. A bit disappointing to me was NCC area, I expected more "Manhattan feeling" from that place (Tallinn cluster seemed more lively), but it looked abandoned, there wasn't people and also from architecture perspective only Vetrunas towers are really great, Europa tower - not bad.
If you ask about comparison to Warsaw.. I ascertained once more that Vilnius' and Warsaw's old architecture have some strong similarities though Vilnius have its own feeling. Vilnius looks more historical city, because the commieblock districts are in rather long distance from the centre and dont disturb it. Vilnius seemed also more developed and renovated but that's just logically because it is much smaller capital city than Warsaw - much easier to set in order it. But I cannot say that one city I liked more than other - both of them are nice, each in it's own way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts