SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5-star Hotel Vela, designed by Ricardo Bofill, will become Barcelona's most stunning hotel- it will be 100 meters tall and in the shape of sail. Construction is to start in 2005 for an opening date of 2007.

Hotel Vela
Height: 100 meters
Area: 48 000 m2
Initial cost estimate: 160 million €

Construction is being financed by the joint venture FCC/Comsa, while Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, Four Points) will be the hotel managers. Arup has been contacted by Ricardo Boffil to consult on the structural engineering and building services which will meet Starwood's global standards. Arup is also responsible for fire and façade enegineering design.

Arup Spain and Arup Hotels & Leisure's past experience and relationships with both Ricardo Bofill and Starwood were key to this appointment.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,551 Posts
Very beautiful building!
;)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,251 Posts
nice design, love it, reminds me of Dubai one, but this one is better cose it is in Spain:)
Don't like Dubai anymore, they are to egotistical.

·
Banned
575 Posts
seems that barcelona are trying to have the same buildings than in other major cities, like the st mary axe's in london and this one like the burj al arab...????????
i like the design, seems like a copy though...
are they going to reclaim the part where the building is going to be, i've been in this place, wich i can see is barcelona's marina, and there is no place right now for the building... am i right???

·
pasaba por aquí...
4,376 Posts
chex said:
seems that barcelona are trying to have the same buildings than in other major cities, like the st mary axe's in london and this one like the burj al arab...????????
i like the design, seems like a copy though...
are they going to reclaim the part where the building is going to be, i've been in this place, wich i can see is barcelona's marina, and there is no place right now for the building... am i right???
well...the design of torre agbar is previous to the construction on st mary axe's so I think there is no chance to say it is a copy....and the Hotel Vela...well,I think it was designed in the 2000. Anyway if you want to build a hotel in the marina place, it is clear that the subject will be something related to the sea....and a "vela"-shaped hotel, or a fish-shaped hotel, or a...whatever...is the most appropriate. On the other hand there's enough place to build this hotel..in fact, the place is waiting for the construction and meanwhile the Cirque du Soleil has settled down there for a couple of months.

·
me llamo orzowei
3,144 Posts
Manuel said:
it's about time. How long this project has been around ? at least 5 years.

Sorry to distract from the subject, what about Hotel Esperia ? is it u/c ?
yes, I remember the previous news about this project in 1999.
I was so young!:D

Hotel Hesperia is under construction and has already topped out. You can
see that at Spanish forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.