SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Velkomin til ÍSLANDS | Welcome to ICELAND

30K views 82 replies 27 participants last post by  MrBensusan 
#1 · (Edited)
Velkomin til ÍSLANDS | Welcome to ICELAND

Welcome to Iceland, Europe's most sparsely populated country, a 103,000 km2 large island with 320 000 people and
almost 20 active volcanoes! Just to get you introduced, watch these three videos and have a good time! And for all
the Icelandic forumers out there, make some noise in here so we know who you guys are!

#23 ·
I've got the impression that after the financial crisis Reykjavik has became "the hip destination" along with Berlin. At least among young Finns.

Still, in spite of possible Finnish hipsters Iceland just became my next possible travel destination in Europe. Damn, it's been a while since I last time felt this strong desire to travel somewhere! :) It's like I completely forgot this small and mysterious little place exist (if that sounds offensive, feel free to think the same about Finland).

279 e from Helsinki isn't that bad..? Doesn't compete Ryanair's or Norwegian's special offers to some central parts of Europe, but Iceland isn't the most low-cost airline friendly place after all.

I was just surprised how well Icelandair has covered Finland. After a quick glance at their offers it might also become a considerable option for trans-atlantic flights from Helsinki.

#14 ·
Hello all,
I'm going to travel to Reykjavik next month (= I have tickets already), and want to see and photo/film the state of city urban development. Skyscrapers are nice, but I'm more interested in
- public transports
- walkable space, parks
- social infrastructure

If it's possible, I'd like to be a journalist for a couple of hours and interview someone who works on city development (city architect, transport managers, or the mayor if he has time-I've read his interview, he's a remarkable guy.)

I'm open to any help.

#15 ·
Hey RagazzoSiberiano! I think someone at city hall would be willing to answer some questions. I know a fair bit about the organization and politics of the city of Reykjavík (I don't work there though) and I would recommend that you try to get in contact with city councilor Páll Hjaltason who is the chairman of the environmental and planning committee and a member of Jón Gnarr's "Best Party" or Hjálmar Sveinsson who is also a member on the committee but from the social democrats. Gísli Marteinn Baldursson is also an interesting guy on the committee although he is from an opposition party and not as influential as the other ones. These guys live and breathe urban planning and could answer all your questions about the situation in Reykjavík. Their e-mails are listed on the pages I linked to.

The mayor is probably harder to get a hold of but you never know. The other guys might be able to get you an appointment. :)

#18 ·
Reykjavik is a really special place, and the center has human scale and is very enjoyable, despite being very modest. I think this rather adds more charm to it. If Icelanders use a paint, it's very bright. :) Looked at geysirs and waterfalls, and wish I had more time to go to highlands and hike, but I had to keep working. Already missing Iceland.

#24 ·
Great nation I would like to travel Iceland more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.