SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
17,431 Posts
Thanks!

~ I found nonstop airfare from Baltimore, on WOW Airlines. What is WOW Airlines like? I saw on their website that they make you pay to check bags, carry on bags, reserve your seat, etc. Are they real sticklers about everything? Is there a way to reduce any of these charges?

~ What's the best way to get around Iceland if we plan to do some scenic/natural things like visit the Blue Lagoon, do a glacier tour, etc?

~ What is the cost of living in Reykjavik? For instance, what is the typical price of a bottle of beer in a restaurant or tavern? How much is a typical casual meal in a sit-down restaurant? How much would a typical standard hotel, not too fancy, cost per night? How much are cab rides or other transportation methods?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks!

~ I found nonstop airfare from Baltimore, on WOW Airlines. What is WOW Airlines like? I saw on their website that they make you pay to check bags, carry on bags, reserve your seat, etc. Are they real sticklers about everything? Is there a way to reduce any of these charges?
They're a low-cost airline, so you're expected to pay for hold luggage, etc. They're definitely the best airline I've ever flown though, so I'm sure you'll enjoy flying with them.

~ What's the best way to get around Iceland if we plan to do some scenic/natural things like visit the Blue Lagoon, do a glacier tour, etc?
You can book tours with buses that take you from place to place, but I'd recommend renting a car and just doing stuff at your own pace. I recommend SADcars if you want to keep everything on the cheap side and don't mind using 10-year-old cars.

~ What is the cost of living in Reykjavik? For instance, what is the typical price of a bottle of beer in a restaurant or tavern? How much is a typical casual meal in a sit-down restaurant? How much would a typical standard hotel, not too fancy, cost per night? How much are cab rides or other transportation methods?
Very high. Everything is very expensive, but I'll let the Icelanders and/or people who have been there recently tell you how much these things actually cost. You can also access this website to check some of this info out (they may be outdated).

Also, as I said, renting a car is the best option in Reykjavík, so you needn't worry about taxis or buses. If you like walking, you'll probably find Reykjavík small enough that pretty much anywhere you want to go is within walking distance.

·
17,431 Posts
Thanks for the help! I am not familiar with Iceland, so the only tourist places I know are the Blue Lagoon, and the Great Circle. I know there's glaciers and volcanoes and stuff, too. How far away are the most popular tourist sites, where a first-timer would have to see if they might not ever be back again? I know that Blue Lagoon is less than an hour away, but that's it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, it really depends on how long you're planning to stay there... If you're thinking about staying for around a week, I'd highly recommend driving to some of the amazing waterfalls, such as Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Svartifoss, etc.

You can hit every spot on the golden circle in one afternoon, they're all very close to each other and to Reykjavík.

·
17,431 Posts
I think we're looking at Saturday to Wednesday. I can't get much time off of work.

I'm thinking the Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, and for me at least, walk around Reykjavik for a couple mornings, since I've never been outside of the US or Canada. What are the best museums in Reykjavik?

·
17,431 Posts
What's a good amount of time for the Blue Lagoon? An afternoon? Does an evening work instead of an afternoon, if we go to see scenery beforehand?

What's a good amount of time for the Golden Circle? A day?

Are there any glaciers we can take a tour/hike on that are within a couple hours?

·
Registered
301 Posts
What's a good amount of time for the Blue Lagoon? An afternoon? Does an evening work instead of an afternoon, if we go to see scenery beforehand?
The Blue Lagoon is just a thermal bath, if you want to skip it and go to a less resort-y place (such as Gamla Laugin), you can. As you're planning to go in May, the sun sets very late, so even if you go at 9pm to the Blue Lagoon, the sun is still going to be out (check opening hours!). Personally, I'd recommend nothing more than 3 hours there. It is a nice experience, but IMO it's a tourist trap and there are better places to spend your limited time in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

What's a good amount of time for the Golden Circle? A day?
Yes. It doesn't even take that long, actually, but there are many interesting things to do around the golden circle (Gamla Laugin, mentioned above, is a good example, given its proximity to Geysir), so one day is a good amount of time.

Are there any glaciers we can take a tour/hike on that are within a couple hours?
I could be wrong here, but I think the only glacier within a couple hours of Reykjavík is Sólheimajökull. There are a few tour operators that offer one- or two-day hiking tours to various glaciers, including Sólheimajökull.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Technically no, although a couple of tour operators do include it in their golden circle tour because it's such a small detour. It's about 65 miles from downtown Reykjavík.

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi!!! We are coming to Iceland next September and we are wondering if we should take a 4x4 or not. Not planning highland driving (F-Roads) and just thinking about Dettifoss and Asbyrgi. What do you think?

Can you recommend a car rental? We are looking to Reykjavík Auto https://www.reykjavikauto.com and http://www.sadcars.com/ What do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance!!!!
You should be fine with a 2WD. September can be a tricky month so you might plan to see snow and frost on the road, though you would be very unlucky if you see winter conditions on the roads. Most likely you won't see snow on the roads yet unless you go high up on the gravel roads. The later in September the bigger the chances are seing fresh snow.

·
17,431 Posts
I have some questions to start off.

Reykjavik geography:
~ What do you call your city center or Downtown? Downtown is an American name, so I can't imagine that, and City Centre/City Center is in English, so I would imagine you have a name in Icelandic.
~ What are the names of the neighborhoods surrounding the city center? Is Vesturbaer one of them? Or are Vesturbaer or other surrounding neighborhoods included as part of the city center?
~ Is there a good neighborhood map of Reykjavik online?

Things in Reykjavik:
~ Are there any places in Reykjavik, in or near the city center, where there is free parking? We are looking at hotels and AirBnBs, and we may find a good location that might not have free parking available, but want to see if we can get around that with free street parking.
~ What are some super markets in Reykjavik, whether in the city center or in the suburbs, that we can stop in for some food on the road? Which stores are the cheaper ones?
~ What are some good restaurants and pubs in the city center, and why? Any place with a good atmosphere, or an interesting theme?
~ Any food or drink that we should try while in Reykjavik? We know about the hot dog stands in general, but not about any specific one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^^ Thanks! What is Hakarl?
Kæstur hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​[ˈhauːkʰardl̥]) (Icelandic for "fermented shark") is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus) or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. Kæstur hákarl has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste.

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hákarl)

AKA probably the most disgusting thing you'll ever eat :lol:

--
By the way, there's really only one famous hot dog stand which is this one.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts