SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took many many pictures on the drive up to Saskatoon, and many many pictures at the festival, as well as videos :)... so many that I used up all the battery power... and forgot to bring the plugin for my charger, so I don't have pictures of the city or the Ukrainian Church I went to :(... but I suppose that means I'll have to make another trip :).

Anyways without further blabbering, here are some selected pictures... I won't post the videos because the files are too large... apparently they are also too large for the amount of information my server will allow me to hold... so I guess if someone wants to see them

Highway Travelling(I apologize for the bug guts on the windshield in some pics :tongue2:)

Leaving Regina:

Clam before the storm:

Less than 5 mins later:

In the Qu'Apelle Valley:

Some Farmsteads:

Some town/grain elevator shots(if you travel in this province you will see a grain elevator or two in every town - Saskatchewan is known as Canada's breadbasket. The province used to supply over half of Canada's grain... I'm not sure what the stats are now though):

Odd town name:

Lake along the highway, part of Blackstrap park:

Entering Saskatoon:

The South Saskatchewan River:

The church I used to go to until I was 5 (St. Anne's - The church is the pyramid structure; the building with the green roof is Bishop James Mahoney High School):

Funny Street Name near my first house:

My first School (St. Angela):

You'll find little Ukrainian things all over this city... here's one :):

Vesna Festival

Centennial Auditorium (where it was held):

During the official welcome to Vesna:

Lastiwka Ukrainian Choir:

Children's Hopak:

Some older professional groups doing dances (Yevshan and Pavlychenko and groups from Saskatoon and Volya is from Edmonton):

An artsy-ish picture with the centre-piece and program

I didn't get any pictures of the big kolomeyka at the end because I filmed it instead :D... however the file is quite large... wonderful nonetheless though :)

Well that's all the pics for now :) It was a wonderful trip, and I did a tad bit too much dancing... because I now have blisters... dancing in dress shoes... :nono: not a good idea.

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My province has a large ukrainian population... about 10% of the population here is Ukrainian ;)... and Saskatoon has around 15-20,000 out of a little over 200,000 I think, but they are probably the most noticeable cultural group in the city. Everyone here knows what perogies(i know wrong name for it, but thats what they use for verenyky/pyrohy), borshch and cabbage rolls are though :tongue2:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Damn, you made hungry. There is no decent Ukrainian restaurant in New York.
Which i don't understand why?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
There's Glechik on Brighton :)

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
I think Brighton Beach is more like a soviet-union of 1970's that suddenly went capitalistic. Or the "nap period" in 21st century.

I hate and love it. I worked in half of the places there at one point or another.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
Actually they have the best cake. In the store called International which is between Brighton 3rd and 4th. That stuff is sooo good and its only 14 bucks for a huge ass walnut chocolate cake. Yum.

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And every year I also buy at least one or more souveniers depending on how expensive the items are... this year I just bought one, but I love it :D...

tada... a Hetmen's Bulava :)

Also there aren't really any Ukrainian restaurants here either... there used to be one in Saskatoon(where Vesna was held) I know, but I'm not sure if it is still there... I'd never go to it though... Nothing beats a great home cooked meal :). We eat so much borshch, verenyky, and Holobtsi in my house its not even funny :eek:kay:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
wow Nate, in some ways you're much more of an Ukrainian than I am. I don't really eat our ethnic food. I'm a traitor when it comes to food :(

Oh, and the bulava is fantastic! Make sure to put it to use, Hetman Nate ;)

·
:::::україн&#1
524 Posts
cool pix, and nice bulova! :D

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pan_Stanislav said:
wow Nate, in some ways you're much more of an Ukrainian than I am. I don't really eat our ethnic food. I'm a traitor when it comes to food :(

Oh, and the bulava is fantastic! Make sure to put it to use, Hetman Nate ;)
haha i grew up on the food so i'd die if i didnt have it. At least a couple of our meals each month have verenyky or holubtsi as part of them... and during the summer and fall when we have beets from the garden, borshch becomes a staple :eek:kay: yum.

and dont worry it will be put to good use... i now dare my siblings to step out of line :angel1: haha, kidding of course... i kinda let it fall on my shelving unit when i brought it home and it left a dent. so i dont think i will be hitting anyone with it ;)... or will I...

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Nate said:
haha i grew up on the food so i'd die if i didnt have it. At least a couple of our meals each month have verenyky or holubtsi as part of them... and during the summer and fall when we have beets from the garden, borshch becomes a staple :eek:kay: yum.

and dont worry it will be put to good use... i now dare my siblings to step out of line :angel1: haha, kidding of course... i kinda let it fall on my shelving unit when i brought it home and it left a dent. so i dont think i will be hitting anyone with it ;)... or will I...
I eat Eastern European food almost daily. In Lviv, we not only have a lot of ethnic Ukrainian food, but also Polish, Russian, etc.
I have to admit though, I don't really like borsch.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm a traitor when it comes to food

he he he likes russian food i know

Glechek is not good any more. I also hate and like Brighton in the same time.
When i sit on Boardwalk restaurants i just can't stop laughing looking at characters passing by. This is the best circus in the world. Unthinkable falchions everywhere, everybody is overdressed i, including retirees, huge gold D&G glasses, 30,000 $ mink coats in winter, i mean a don't think you will see so much money spent on brand names on Madison Ave.,
when you can see PRADA logo on a t-shirt from a mile, same goes for a cars : every
5 mins some crook looking asshole with trophy girlfriend in Hammer or Jag.
But in the same time you can see a very beautiful people (mostly slavic girls :)
and of course all that great food stuff from Russia, Ukraine, Baltics
i mean it deserves a photo reportage. Probably one one of the most unique ethnic conclaves in the U.S.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
How do you know that I like Russian food? :( it's not my fault that Russian food is less weird to me than Ukrainian.. I mean golubtsy? I can't look at them, let alone eat them :D
Sorry Nate ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
/\ you actually mentioned it once a while ago.

i personally like any good food French,
Italian, Russian,Ukranian , Asian. My former Japanese girlfriend showed the best Japanese restaurants in NYC. This is like entering different world (not just some standard sushi served in psudo-fashionable Russian joints prepared by Chinese)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts