Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any news at all about a VHST (Very high speed train)/ bullet train to be built anywhere in australia.

I have found news on the canberra airport, master plan about The government wanting to set up a VHST from Sydney airport to Canberra airport which would be able to travel to canberra within 80 mins compared to the 3 and a half hours.
This was turned down in the late 90's but they are considering it for early next decade. All this is because of Canberra Airport becoming international with their new services and to take the ease of the sydney Kingsford smith airport instead of building a second international airport in sydney. Then they were considering connecting this service down to melbourne etc.. Forming a link between all 3 cities.
Read http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=349537 for more information on Canberra International Airport

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,596 Posts
Call me cynical, but this won't happen for at least another 50 years.

Local, state and federal governments are all too wrapped up in roads.

The only rail project in the budget? a $250m upgrade for the north coast of NSW (which I believe is merely resignalling). For reference, that's the same as the estimated cost of the Cronulla duplication project.

Pitiful.

State won't do it, Feds won't do it. It's a catch-22. They all try to get the other guys to do it and nobody does, so it doesn't get done.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I dont think it'll ever be built - we dont have the population density to sustain it.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
cammo2004 said:
Call me cynical, but this won't happen for at least another 50 years.

Local, state and federal governments are all too wrapped up in roads.

The only rail project in the budget? a $250m upgrade for the north coast of NSW (which I believe is merely resignalling). For reference, that's the same as the estimated cost of the Cronulla duplication project.

Pitiful.

State won't do it, Feds won't do it. It's a catch-22. They all try to get the other guys to do it and nobody does, so it doesn't get done.
I think the 250 million dollar figure is an additional figure. So the previous applocated funding plus, another 250 million dollar to fast track this project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only place I can see a train like that working is Melbourne - Geelong.

Put in the train and many will consider a sea change...I mean, Why pay 5 mil for a closet in Port Melbourne when you can have a beach front farm in Corio....

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
MelbourneCity said:
I dont think it'll ever be built - we dont have the population density to sustain it.
What about the fact that Melb-Sydney is one of the world's busiest routes in terms of air traffic? The airlines actually supported the Melb-Canberra-Sydney VHST because it would've allowed them to cut the short flights between these cities, saving them money.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
cammo2004 said:
It's worse than that... the money is for resleepering... too bad most of the line needs realignment.

·
Registered
820 Posts
MelbourneCity said:
That's not true. This has been discussed endlessly already. There's a fed. government document floating around somewhere that suggests this would be sustainable.

*Cue: Tayser...*

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
cammo2004 said:
To be fair, that section of line probably needs it... :runaway:
But what's the point of resleepering a line which needs to be ripped up and realigned anyway? $250 million down the toilet. So after this resleepering project is complete, trains will now be able to maintain an average speed of 20 km/h instead of 19 km/h! Wow! By the way, I plucked those speeds out of thin air. But hopefully you get my point. :)

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
hmmm.. interesting i was just talking about this in the canberra airport thread. i didn't know this thread was in some way connected to that one.

surely the goverment, state and fed have "higher priorities"

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
realmakoym8 said:
The only place I can see a train like that working is Melbourne - Geelong.

Put in the train and many will consider a sea change...I mean, Why pay 5 mil for a closet in Port Melbourne when you can have a beach front farm in Corio....
LOL there are far many more places than Geelong that are screaming for a VFT. Wollongong>Sydney>CC>Newy is a far better option IMO. This conurbation also has a much larger feeder population that will use it.

·
1,596 Posts
trentthomson said:
But what's the point of resleepering a line which needs to be ripped up and realigned anyway? $250 million down the toilet. So after this resleepering project is complete, trains will now be able to maintain an average speed of 20 km/h instead of 19 km/h! Wow! By the way, I plucked those speeds out of thin air. But hopefully you get my point. :)
In all honesty, $250m is a drop in the bucket these days, so I'd hardly place it as a complete waste.

It's not like a realignment is going to happen anytime soon, is it - It might be done by the end of this century...

·
Insane Gunzel
1,296 Posts
The only rail project in the budget? a $250m upgrade for the north coast of NSW (which I believe is merely resignalling).
Actually (feel free to prove me wrong if I am :)), I think it also includes a few major deviations on very slow sections of the line.

It's part of a longer-term project to totally rebuild the line, I think.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
trentthomson said:
What about the fact that Melb-Sydney is one of the world's busiest routes in terms of air traffic? The airlines actually supported the Melb-Canberra-Sydney VHST because it would've allowed them to cut the short flights between these cities, saving them money.
pull out the air and TGV traffic figures for Paris-Marseilles for a reasonably valid look at what a VHST would do.

·
1,596 Posts
jarf said:
Actually (feel free to prove me wrong if I am :)), I think it also includes a few major deviations on very slow sections of the line.

It's part of a longer-term project to totally rebuild the line, I think.
Which, no doubt, will take three times the scheduled time to complete. :bash:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts