SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Like 'Berg'
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting SO PISSED off with the state of these boards at the moment.. I'm not wanting to be a kill-joy, but when I come on and half the threads that I like to follow have new messages, you go on and it turns out to be some unrelated crap.. I know this is and always will happen, but at the moment it is worse than I ever remember.. pages of off topic shit.. but theres probably something even worse..

Stop friggin quoting a series of pictures from a post one or two above, just to say 'oh I like that'... or something.. Some threads have the same set of pictures on the same page like 3 or even 4 times just so people can say 'Yeh like it'.. It really pisses me off, especially when the site is on limited bandwidth and you wait 5 minutes for a page thats the same set of pics you saw 3 days ago..

I would happily become a Moderator just to seek out these pissy replies and cull them on the spot!

I'm done with this for now... If I think of anything else to complain about, I will be back!

·
Futurist
38,424 Posts
I agree, there's been too much spam lately, people bumping a load of important threads just to leave comments like "wow", "cool", "nice", etc. and then posting off-topic stuff.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
I agree to some extent.

However,

It is important for people to make a contribution to a thread even if it is to say I like that so the original poster of the picture or render will know that there contribution is appreciated.

Perhaps the solution should be not to repost the image and just say "great pic" Stevo etc.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I thought Richard Wilson had opened an account with us. I had loads of questions ready for him...:(

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
JDRS said:
I thought this thread was about MartinG

Funnily enough, so did I when I clocked the title - and I'm so disappointed it isn't! :lol:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
JDRS said:
I thought this thread was about MartinG
Me too!

But it's a natural response to say this and that a photo is "wow" or "yay". People get upset if no one comments on their comments and photos.

I agree with the amount of quoted photos though. Surely you can just describe the photo you are talking about! ;)

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
No doubt he'll blow a few gussets when he discovers that the Eurovision thread started by Woodhousen has also veered off into a parallel discussion on the joys of heavy / death metal music then!! :lol:

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
It already is off-topic. :happy:

Seriously though, I say one photoquote per page. That sounds reasonable enough.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
ferge said:
I'm getting SO PISSED off with the state of these boards at the moment.. I'm not wanting to be a kill-joy, but when I come on and half the threads that I like to follow have new messages, you go on and it turns out to be some unrelated crap.. I know this is and always will happen, but at the moment it is worse than I ever remember.. pages of off topic shit.. but theres probably something even worse..

Stop friggin quoting a series of pictures from a post one or two above, just to say 'oh I like that'... or something.. Some threads have the same set of pictures on the same page like 3 or even 4 times just so people can say 'Yeh like it'.. It really pisses me off, especially when the site is on limited bandwidth and you wait 5 minutes for a page thats the same set of pics you saw 3 days ago..

I would happily become a Moderator just to seek out these pissy replies and cull them on the spot!

I'm done with this for now... If I think of anything else to complain about, I will be back!
I agree as well

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
Zim Flyer said:
I agree to some extent.

However,

It is important for people to make a contribution to a thread even if it is to say I like that so the original poster of the picture or render will know that there contribution is appreciated.

Perhaps the solution should be not to repost the image and just say "great pic" Stevo etc.
great post............ :runaway:

nah. I'd have to agree with this. Not everyone has a great deal of time and intellect :)D) to type out vast paragraphs of informative and comprehensive replies.

the quotation of pics is perhaps extremely detrimental to the performance and enjoyment of this website, and yeh, it should be clamped down on. I'm sure people like Jan and Goth can implement a system which prevents the quotation of

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I think the other problem with too many pics in threads is the obvious one that it slows the whole frigging page down and takes an absolute age to load! Sometimes those on slower connections can be tearing their hair out - and I'm sure many of us have all been there. :bash: So fair argument. :)

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
JDRS said:
I had this pizza bread stuff from Morrisons the other day and it was full of salt :eek:hno:

Don't buy any prepacked convenience foods from Morrisons - despite them being cheap and prone to the "buy one get one free" offers. They have a higher salt content than many other rival supermarket brands like Tesco and Asda. I should know - I label check EVERYTHING I buy since being forced to go on a low sodium diet last year. This includes pre-packed frozen and fresh foods like pies, quiches, ready meals, breads, soups, meats, poultry etc.... it's shocking actually that they can still get away with so much added salt. At least their own brand multipacks of crisps have cut down on 50% salt - which means I can at least buy them again but why they can't extend this to all their other foodstuffs I don't know.... :no:

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
Martin G said:
I think the other problem with too many pics in threads is the obvious one that it slows the whole frigging page down and takes an absolute age to load!
It isn't difficult to fix, the number of pictures allowed in one post can be restricted, and other sites do it, and it includes smilies as well.

Here you could post 20,000 if you wanted in a single post, and it's abused. It could be argued that the person could create multiple posts. Of course they could, but there is also the ability to restrict the time between each post. It's not perfect, but it would deter all but the most mad spammer. I think a maximum of 8 images including smilies per post is easily enough.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
As for Ferge's bandwidth remark, that has nothing to do with SSC, the images are coming off different servers altogether, SSC simply hosts the bandwidth of the link to each picture. Signatures and Avatars should be removed if bandwidth on that level is important, because they are crap and serve no useful purpose in the first place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts