SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts
I like the interior spaces, and also the connections (bridges) but that concrete leaves me a little cold if im honest..

Went for a wander the other day and i couldnt help but be disappointed by that aspect of it..

all in all much, much better than what was there previously...

I agree, i have eaten there a couple of times now and think the make over is really good. But it seems to have lost a bit of character given that the paving is the way it is. Its a shame that they did not use cobble stones to give it that market type of feeling. However, in saying that I am excited to see the finished product and for the tour groups to return again...has really lifted that part of the city

I agree, i have eaten there a couple of times now and think the make over is really good. But it seems to have lost a bit of character given that the paving is the way it is. Its a shame that they did not use cobble stones to give it that market type of feeling. However, in saying that I am excited to see the finished product and for the tour groups to return again...has really lifted that part of the city
I forgot to mention that.. the hotmix was a great let down.. i was hoping for cobbled too..

Discussion starter · #64 ·
I have forwarded this post onto the developers of VPM to show them how the wall could look with some colour ...

Victoria Park goes upmarket

Tourists looking to spend a quick buck at stalls filled with knick-knacks will be out of luck as Victoria Park Market smartens up its act.

Developers are keen to establish the precinct as a hospitality and boutique shopping destination, distancing itself from its market moniker.

The site was built in 1905 as a waste depot and incinerator complex before being transformed into a retail market in 1983 after public outcry at plans to demolish it.

It was bought by the Kitchener Group in 2003 and continued to operate as a market until a $28 million refurbishment began in 2008.

Wellington tourist Deb Mills was surprised to find the site without its previous arts, crafts and souvenir stalls when she visited last week.

"I came here 10 years ago and it was great so we thought we would come down here for another look. What they've done looks lovely but it's not quite what we were looking for," she says.

"I'm sure it will be good when more things open up."

Victoria Park Market manager Shelley Mitchell says the new complex is more in keeping with how the surrounding suburbs have developed.

"The whole area has changed, it's quite a high decile, high income area," she says.

"We want to bring the area up and make it vibrant like it was in the 80s and 90s with just a whole new crowd coming in."

Along with restaurants, bars, cafes, boutique shops and a nail bar, plans are under way to open up a European-style market by the end of November.

"When you come down here it's an experience for you. You get to mooch around do some shopping and then head up to the bars for a glass of wine," Ms Mitchell says.

But she admits the precinct's change of direction has been tough on some of its previous tenants.

Those who had lease agreements before the developments have either chosen to leave as it no longer suited them or are moving position within the site itself, she says.

"We've got six good anchor tenants and we've got some really good tenancies opening in terms of turning this into a destination area."

Occupancy is currently sitting at about 68 per cent, lower than they would like to be at this time, she says.

"We thought we'd be a little bit further ahead but that's because our construction was delayed by 18 months and that was because of heritage issues."

This has had knock-on effects on current tenants with limited foot traffic moving through the site as people are unsure of whether it is now open.

"We are suffering a bit unfortunately with people saying there's not enough foot traffic," Ms Mitchell says.

But it is starting to increase as more stores open their doors, she says.

"Overall considering the delays in construction we are really happy with what we've managed to achieve in a trying environment."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loc...bour-news/9285280/Victoria-Park-goes-upmarket

^^

Spooky Park!!! There is nothing happening here at the moment despite what they say, and very little hope of anything grand happening for while despite what they say. It's going to take a few years before this comes to anything like they imagine.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
^^

Spooky Park!!! There is nothing happening here at the moment despite what they say, and very little hope of anything grand happening for while despite what they say. It's going to take a few years before this comes to anything like they imagine.
Gr8 place for a Halloween carnival :) I doubt that much else is going to happen here any time soon.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
You two sound like you're ready to be gone! I know the feeling, getting annoyed at everything, but try and enjoy your last few months in Auckland, there's lots to like here as well :)
Not annoyed at all, just stating the obvious. We often go there for a coffee or a meal and speak to the people there - it is their sentiment that they are expressing.

By the way - they all refer to Vic Park as "spooky Park" Go for a walk there yourself and you will see what they mean.

You two sound like you're ready to be gone! I know the feeling, getting annoyed at everything, but try and enjoy your last few months in Auckland, there's lots to like here as well :)
We remain very excited about VPM and it has incredible potential - We spend a lot of time and a lot of money there and only wish for its success. It can be far more successful than Ponsonby Central and walking through there on a weekly basis for the last year is what has led us to the above conclusion.

There is a lot more going on than what you hear in the media. Shops have been promised things that have not materialised and to be frank cannot materialise as Auckland does not have the population to sustain so many of these developments.

VPM has a lot that can set it apart from the rest but they are not taking the initiative and are losing out to the likes of City Works Depot which is just a glorified parking lot albeit with a bit of attitude. We often speak to several of the shop owners and we have just given you a more honest opinion than the media release above.

It's silly to confuse our willingness for an adventure elsewhere for a hating on a place every time we say something you don't agree with.

Discussion starter · #76 · (Edited)
It's silly to confuse our willingness for an adventure elsewhere for a hating on a place every time we say something you don't agree with.
And a tad rich ;) Now as soon as we mention something that all of us have been discussing for years eg. illegal parking then we are hating on Auckland because we are moving to MEL but it is alright for others to say how they feel because they choose to stay. I am quite sick of it ... we allow you your say so why not let us have our say or are we only good enough for updating threads full of positivity (which is something that we do anyway).

Mixed feelings about the carpark refurb. Yes, great something is being done, Architecture not so great and wished they started fresh.

Also, is that retail on the ground floor? Wasn't too clear from comments I read. Alone that would be great. Next please remove that nasty slip lane in front of the pub. Could make a neat little parklet/square.

Well, at least something is happening - it's not all that amazing, architecturally..maybe some of the detail will look better than the renders suggest.

A really massive green wall would be nice.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.