Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victoria Street has loads of potential but is not fulfilling that at present. What do people think could improve Victoria Street and the immediate enviroment.

The Fruit Exchange building is a major eyesore as are the other buildings on that side should be redeveloped. The pavement in this area could also be widened and the parking lots outside the Fruit Exchange removed.

Opposite, the area outside the Living Room could be improved by moving the bus stops further down the street to the car park which itself should either be built on or developed into a public park.

·
Let the Jam decide
2,193 Posts
I agree, the buildings need a good clean etc, and new paving, but I dont think it needs widening. The council carpark could be developed, perhaps with offices? a park is a good idea, but I think not perhaps the best use. The back of the Municipal Buildings was never meant to be seen judging my the plan brick. So perhaps a new office building would work better here, and generate some income for LCC.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I'd rather see the municipal car park as a public garden. When I see the trees in leaf or on the turn in autumn, I often think it would be great to sit in there and play chess or table tennis or just chill out with a cup of tea or a glass of booze and while away the time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'd rather see the municipal car park as a public garden. When I see the trees in leaf or on the turn in autumn, I often think it would be great to sit in there and play chess or table tennis or just chill out with a cup of tea or a glass of booze and while away the time.
Could be a go-er, or what about an open air food market. Is it big enough? I notice that the street lamps in the car park are on all the time, even during the day. I mentioned it to someone inside the Municipal Building weeks ago; guess what? They're still on all day. What a waste of money and doesn't it show the Corpy up to be the shower of dead beats that they are?

·
Banned
13,419 Posts
I think it's a shame that this area has been designated as 'gay area' it's one of the finest areas of the city and people just don't go there because it's seen as for 'gay people'.

We're stuck with Concert Square :bash:

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I find it a bit silly having straight places on Victoria Street when it's part of the gay scene.
You're having a laugh! Even Stanley Street struggles to establish itself as a gay drag despite all the hype and determination (by mostly hettie entrepreneurs) to exploit whatever 'scene' there is. Victoria Street is mainstream.

You're also being hettiphobic! The implication of your statement is that there shouldn't be any 'gay' establishments in 'hettie' areas!
:nuts:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the car park. The architecture surrounding it is phenomenal as well. The bizzare one way system strangles all the life out of the area however... From Tinlings up to Dal street there are some criminally underutilised buildings. The same can be said to a lesser extent about Sir Thomas street.

Victoria and Dale shouldn't be one way IMO. The whole system, including the flyover and Islingtion, creates a footfall buffer between town and north Liverpool. Restricted footfall = limited investment/development.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
A LRO pic of the building that was bombed where now lies the car park. This is why the Municipal only required bare brick to its rear.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks Keayman, never seen that before. I'm not fussy on Victoria St myself,bit provincial, although there are some good buildings on it,too much red brick !

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The old Fruit Exchange which Medici refers to. A good building in need of restoration. The photo illustrates the disadvantage of being on a sandstone belt and using local stone. The building is only 120 years old but has badly eroded. Probably one of the reasons the Anglican Cathedral has very little external sculpture.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Victoria St has huge potential. I don't understand how Deansgate / Oxford Road etc in Manchester are lined with tons of retailers when our business district has only a handfull. The Council need to focus the CCMS on this street and as somebody else has mentioned I certainly agree that the one way system strangles the life out of this part of the city. Maybe that answers my question of why those other streets in Manchester are full of retailers?

As for the comment about 'Straight' places on Victoria Street. What a stupid comment. Plenty of straight places, not just 3. Aldos, old Ned Kelly, Officers Mess, Beaconsfield as well as the places you mention. A lot of these places invested in Victoria St before the gay bars were established. Plus I'm not sure what, if anything, that Heaven and Pink add to the city. I'd rather see some upmarket, sustainable regeneration rather than tacky gay bars. And thats from a gay. So don't be so narrow minded in future.

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Victoria St has huge potential. I don't understand how Deansgate / Oxford Road etc in Manchester are lined with tons of retailers when our business district has only a handfull. The Council need to focus the CCMS on this street and as somebody else has mentioned I certainly agree that the one way system strangles the life out of this part of the city. Maybe that answers my question of why those other streets in Manchester are full of retailers?

I agree a two way system would give the road more vitality and encourage activity. The Fruit Exchange as displayed above by GV would make excellent apartments. The area opposite has a number of businesses but the bus stops impair the impact on the eye and make the area look cluttered. Some of the side streets should be pedestrianised if we are serious about encouraging gay bars with outdoor seating in the unlikely event of warm weather. The building next to the Living Room would make a great gay friendly boutique hotel. The area at the lower end of the street is under utilised. I was having a drink in the Old Haymarket area recently and thought how that area which straddles the tunnel could be transformed into a square and would then look continental.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts