Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of an expansion, but hopefully it'll be tastefully executed.

They are using up the main parking area in front of the building, so I am assuming the parking will now be underground.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/73964580
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/73964620

I'll post more pics when I get.

The entire main entrance of the building will change location from what I heard (via a current tenant)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's an article from the looklocal site on the Victorian Mall expansion.

The mall will be anchored by Cambridge Food together with around 7 line shops.
A much needed upgrade to Newcastle's CBD :banana:.
Not much is mentioned in the article below with reference to upgrading of the existing mall, but from what I have heard, the entire Victorian Mall will be given a facelift :).

This expansion together with the New Civic Centre will certainly start rejuvenation of Newcastle's CBD.

I must say the the city is moving in the right direction :).

R80 million Mall for CBD
http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/action/media/downloadFile?media_fileid=313263&a=145&s=850x600
Construction has begun at the Victorian Mall and will welcome a supermarket in January 2013.
19 June 2012 | Reveshni Moodley
Construction has begun at the Victorian Mall as part of an R80 million cash injection into the CBD.
George Heyneke, Property Director for the NiDa group, says that the development will be completed in January 2013.
"I can confirm that the development will be a supermarket from the Walmart group, called Cambridge Foods."
The supermarket will encompass 3 500 square metres to be extended by a further 1 000 metres in future.
There will also be a few line shops attaching themselves to the development.
While the construction is underway however, the Victorian Mall and the cinema is still open for business.
Patrons of the mall and movie theatre are advised to park in the lot adjacent to Midas.
"When the project is complete, there will be ample secure undercover parking," said Mr Heyneke.
"At the moment, the cinema at Victorian Mall is in a better state than most around the country, and we hope people will continue their support," he concluded.

·
Skybar Mod
24,912 Posts
Here's an article from the looklocal site on the Victorian Mall expansion.

The mall will be anchored by Cambridge Food together with around 7 line shops.
A much needed upgrade to Newcastle's CBD :banana:.
Not much is mentioned in the article below with reference to upgrading of the existing mall, but from what I have heard, the entire Victorian Mall will be given a facelift :).

This expansion together with the New Civic Centre will certainly start rejuvenation of Newcastle's CBD.

I must say the the city is moving in the right direction :).
Indeed! Maybe some other South African cities can follow example.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe they might, but not many have strong CBD's like Newcastle. According to the developers website (NiDa) an addtional 8 000sqm of GLA will be added to the mall / CBD.

·
23,157 Posts
Good to have the voice of Newcastle being promoted. Far too much the focus is on the 3 main cities and maybe now and then Pretoria. But it is great to see Newcastle (KZN's 3rd city, but probably seen by most people as the 4th as Richards Bay has a bigger economic profile), doing some good. To be fair i have never visited, its out of the way from Durban and probably closer to Joburg anyway? But good to see other parts of KZN flying high...

Any renders?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, u right. South Africa needs to decentralise and focus on smaller cities.

Pretoria is definitely up there with the other 3 if not more.

Newcastle is making it's way up as one of the country's roleplayers. You must visit NN sometime. It's located in one of SA's most beautiful landscapes :)

Unfortunately no renders on the Victorian Mall expansion but will be on the lookout :)

·
23,157 Posts
live a bit far away to visit...

but i disagree on pta. it has potential but it is totally lacking on the big 3

·
Registered
126 Posts
Victorain Mall Expansion

Took some pics of the Victorian Mall expansion at the end of March. At the time work had progressed substantially :) Sources have confirmed that currently the roof is complete, facade finishes being applied, and internal works being completed. I wonder if the existing building will be given a new look / finish? I do hope that the Architect and Developer have looked further than just the building, and upgrade the adjacent streetscape and parking areas, as they are really in a poor condition!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/88532243
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/88532257
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/88532264

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The building is still going strong:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/92877995

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/92878010

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/92878022

Apologies for the horrible lighting and angles. It was all taken in haste.

I hope, as Viresh also expressed, that they update the old building's facade as well.

I'm told that the refurbishment of the internals of the old section will start in the next week or two, including retiling and improvement to the lighting to allow more natural light into the "atrium". Apparently the cost of the project is exceeding initial estimates and so some improvements have been scrapped. Pity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the updates Cuberman :)

Looking good ! I wonder what colour they are going to paint the extension, and yeah, I hope that they apply this new look to the old building.

In your opinion, what does the new 'mall' between the 2 buildings feel like ? Did they divulge any detail as to what improvements are going to be omitted due to cost?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the updates Cuberman :)

Looking good ! I wonder what colour they are going to paint the extension, and yeah, I hope that they apply this new look to the old building.

In your opinion, what does the new 'mall' between the 2 buildings feel like ? Did they divulge any detail as to what improvements are going to be omitted due to cost?
Currently it still feels like an enclosed alleyway between two separate buildings, but the face of the old buildings is due to be taken away / torn down this week, so the actual new passage / mall will then be evident. There is still alot to be done internally to make the two sections fit together.

One thing that was mentioned as being sacrificed due to cost was the replacement of all the old window frames on the entire building. They are green and red and don't fit in with the colour scheme of the new section. However, due to the special bricks used to build the old exterior, it will cost too much to remove the frames without causing alot of damage to the internals. Perhaps they will be resprayed instead. Leading from this I would assume the recladding will also not happen. I could be wrong.

However, the "skylounge" in the old building will be removed (a bar suspended by chains from the ceiling just above the main entrance that used to overlook the parking lot), the plant "pots" in the centre isle where palm trees used to be will be torn out, the existing ceiling in the main atrium will be redone to allow more light and the existing main entrance face will naturally (hopefully!) be removed to join with the new section. I say hopefully because I would hate for that to remain as is. According to one tenant, they were told that the old building will be retiled throughout (wall and floor). The new tiles will be similar to the style of the Newcastle Mall, I expect. The main entrance had a large window (4m x 6m) in the front (providing the view for the bar patrons) as can be seen in your panoramic photo above. If left in tact it would provide a horrible view of the new building's roof when standing anywhere on the upper level.

Another expected change is that the existing steps leading up to the upper level where the cinema is located will be removed completely with escalators being added. The current staircases (two of - one on either side of the old main entrance.) are both in an L shape. I imagine the new escalators will feed directly from the new main passage to the upper level. This will widen the existing lower mall passage and great a more integrated feel to the new sections.

Joshua Doore's entrance will move to the exterior, currently being inside the new "passage".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the great insight.

Escalators will definitely improve circulation, and giving the mall the 'Newcastle Mall' treatment is great news.

With reference to the 'green' windows - which are these? The current shops have red shopfronts, are these being replaced too? From looking at the pics, I have a feeling that the old facade will be plastered and painted out to match the new, and that the old walkway canopies will be replaced - i could be wrong !

What about the basement, is it double level and is it linked to the old?

With reference to the rumoured 'Builders Warehouse', do you possibly know what development that is? How far is progress on this, do you have any pics?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the great insight.

Escalators will definitely improve circulation, and giving the mall the 'Newcastle Mall' treatment is great news.

With reference to the 'green' windows - which are these? The current shops have red shopfronts, are these being replaced too? From looking at the pics, I have a feeling that the old facade will be plastered and painted out to match the new, and that the old walkway canopies will be replaced - i could be wrong !

What about the basement, is it double level and is it linked to the old?

With reference to the rumoured 'Builders Warehouse', do you possibly know what development that is? How far is progress on this, do you have any pics?
The shops inside have green window frames
I do hope they remove the canopies.

As for the basement, it is single level and not linked to the existing basement parking. The existing underground parking section does not extend the full footprint of the old building and I suspect that the foundations would not allow them to dig under it to link the two basements.

The new underground parking will be for the tenants rather than the customers, I expect.

The builders warehouse / trade depot is in progress and will have a few line shops attached to it. In my opinion it seems to be shaping up to be just another ugly massmart monstrosity. They really have a knack for building eyesores.

No pics on that but will get some soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do hope that they atleast replace the red shopfronts on the facade to match the new - the red is really dated. I hope that the new doesn't have red to save costs by just matching the existing.

It is a real pity about the basement, seems like a waste to me, especially if is not for the public! i do know that the old basement is for tenants only.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the 'Builders', and yep, their buildings are not pretty!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Work on the mall extension is still continuing, though sadly some changes have been dropped in favour of others.

As I understand, the suspended level above the old entrance will remain and be occupied by a store, fitted to suit the tenant, the games area is to be removed and refitted for more shops, the escalators are not going to be installed, but all existing tiles will be removed and matched with the new section. This is quite a task as the tiling in the old building is excessive.

I assume they will still go ahead with the modification of the celing to allow more light. Should be priority in my opinion as the quality of the light currently is not ideal.
Some suspended ceiling has gone up in the old section, but still a long way to go.

The parking lot outside one of the side entrances will be repaved. The construction machinery moving about has left it in near unusable state.

The anchor tenant has moved in and will open next week, but building continues. Probably for at least the next two months.

I heard that the cinema will receive an upgrade in the form of 3D equipment. A figure has been tossed around and I am somewhat surprised that the owners are deciding to go ahead with the improvements in this department, but I suppose if they don't maintain it, Zenprop will surely pick up the slack and build a cinema in the mall expansion that's still being planned for Newcastle Mall.

I have a few pics of the new mall passage but sadly can't upload them at this time. I'll catch a few more when I go down to NN during September.

·
Registered
126 Posts
thanks for the updates Cuberman :) pity about the escalators but i guess the money will be better spent in other areas as mentioned. i believe that Cambridge Food opened last weekend.

i wonder what type of shop will be accomodated in the old entertainment area? a restaurant will probably be a better choice than a retail shop!

please post your pics when you get a chance !

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here are some pictures I took last November of the 'partially' completed expansion.

According to the original design the 'old building' was also to be given this new facade treatment, however was put on hold due to budget constraints.

Hopefully one day this entire building will be upgraded with this contemporary look!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts