Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Alpen-Häschen der Zukunft
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few informations:

-ÖBB = Österreichische Bundesbahnen (Austrian Railways)

-the project have a size of about 109ha

-one of the most important railway stations in Europe (because it's in the middle of europe...)

-office space with a size of about 550.000m²

-5.000 new apartments

-a park with a size of about 8ha

-about 30.000 people will live and work there

-one of the biggest developments in europe

-will be a new part of Vienna

-the project costs about 2mrd € (actually 2.7344 billion U.S. dollars)

-they started work in 2009 and they'll finished in 2019

photos of the project:

www.hauptbahnhof-wien.at

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=238889

·
Make Wu'bar Great Again
6,353 Posts
Well, tbh I am not the biggest fan of the main station as such - kinda reminds me of all that Calatrava rubbish - but I really like ÖBB's new headquarter. I bet it is gonna look so amazing at night!

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
The public transportation concept of the new neighbourhood:

Lines connecting directly to the new Hauptbahnhof

Subway: U1 (connected via 300 m long tunnel)
S-Bahn: main corridor plus lines connecting the southern periphery
tramway: 18 (partial premetro), O and D
Bus: 13A, 69A

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
For my taste, it lacks a representative entrance hall. The concourse roof is pretty good, imo. We'll see. In terms of travel comfort, it's definitely a step into the right direction.

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
To give a bit more background information on location and function of the new Hauptbahnhof here a nice map. Part of the whole concept is a new high capacity connection between what is to become the Hauptbahnhof and the Westbahn, the western railway line. This connection is established by the Lainzer Tunnel which connects to the old Westbahn but continues via the Wienerwald Tunnel on a newly built track to St. Pölten. This way speeds of 200 km/h should be possible from shortly after Meidlung onwards.

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
These transeuropean network rail corridors will be connected by the new Hauptbahnhof in Vienna:

PS:
Stuttgart is along one of those corridors. It seems they have a slightly different style of doing large scale projects ;)

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
This is just a corridor. It doesn't mean that a single train would go the whole way. It's already today perfectly feasible to go from Vienna to Paris by train. Take a euronight from Vienna to Strasbourg and from there a TGV to Paris. You check in at night and after having standing up and breakfast its just a app. two hours ride to your final destination. You hardly could do it faster by plane unless you skip sleeping one night.

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
Pictures from zz123 of the brand new underground S-Bahn station "Hauptbahnhof Wien" directly in front of the future main entrance to the main station.

This will mark the completion of the first part of the connection tunnel between the U1 subway line and the Hauptbahnhof.

(Click on pictures to enlarge)

1 - 20 of 242 Posts