SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a selection of my favourite images from my trip to Vietnam a couple of weeks ago

Yes, there's millions of photos... be grateful I didn't post all 1,300

Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon

Notre Dame Cathedral

Central Post Office

Students drawing

Traffic

Reunification Palace

War Remnants Museum

Opera House

Traffic, some of the 4 millions scooters in HCM

A model boat shop?!

Our Hotel, The Caravelle

Opera House at night

Someone trying out a Viet Cong tunnel at Chu Chi... strictly anorexic tourists only

American tank, Chu Chi

The landscape at Chu Chi is still pockmarked with bomb craters

City Hall & Statue of 'Uncle Ho'

City Hall

Opera House & Sculpture

Market, Chinatown

Pagoda, Chinatown

Bridge U/C across Mekong, Mekong Delta

Mekong Delta

Da Lat

After the steamy heat & humidity of Ho Chi Minh and the Mekong Delta we flew to Da Lat, which is in the mountains to the north of Ho Chi Minh. A complete contrast: it was about 10C cooler and stunning mountain slopes clad in pine forests sweep down to tranquil lakes

Pagoda

The countryside... Not what I'd have expected from Vietnam

The last King's Summer Palace

The stunning 1920's Da Lat Palace Hotel where we stayed, chock full of beautiful period features

View from room... More French Alps than tropical SE Asia

Hotel lobby

Front elevation

Da Lat is laid out around an artificial lake, really beautiful. The French intended the town to ultimately be their capital of Indochina

Keeping the lakeside gardens immaculate

Da Lat market... Da Lat, because of its climate, is the centre of Vietnam's vegetable and flower growing industries... They also produce some great wine

Da Lat Cathedral

Hotel again...

Nha Trang

Drove from Da Lat down to the coast at Nha Trang via some breathtaking mountain scenery. Nha Trang is a popular resort for the Vietnamese

The harbour, tourist boats departing... On the brow of the hill is the building the town is named after: Nha Trang = 'White House'

Traditional Basket Boat... Identical to the 'Coracle' used in Wales

Da Nang

Flew from Nha Trang to Da Nang...

Cham relics, Cham museum... The Cham empire existed in central Vietnam before the Viet migrated from China and the empire collapsed. They were Hindu, not Buddhist and still exist as a minority in Vietnam today... but are now mostly Muslim. Their art, music and dance have strong Indian influences

Marble mountain, on the edge of Da Nang... Literally is a huge chunk of marble... Surrounded by workshops creating beautiful scultptures (and some gaudy ones too)

Victoria resort Hoi An, our beachfront villa

Out front... Not bad :)

Who said romance was dead?

Embroiderer, Hoi An... Some of the work on show was staggering: photographic-quality embroideries (not allowed to take photos of them though!)

Hard at work...

Daydreaming...

The 'Japanese Bridge', Hoi An... Hoi An was one of Asia's most important trading ports until the creek silted up 200 years ago and as a consequence had Japanese and Chinese communities... The Japanese had all left by the 18th Century however, this bridge is the only reminder

Hoi An

Fish market, stingray on the menu?

The picturesque old town

Boat and cow... Traditional boats in Vietnam all have the 'eyes' painted on to 'see' other boats and bad weather

Market, Hoi An

Pagoda

Kite... Kite flying is a popular pastime

...Next we drove from Hoi An to Hue. Although there is a new tunnel, we took the scenic route via the dramatic Hai Van pass:

...On the north side of the pass is the picturesque coastal town of Lang Co

...The town is surrounded by a shallow lagoon mostly used for fish farming

Hue

...Onward to Hue, this is the cultural centre of Vietnam and where the emperors are all buried

Khai Dinh's tomb:

Schoolgirls, Hue

Tu Duc Tomb

Schoolboys

Tu Duc tomb

La Residence Hotel, Hue... another stunning colonial hotel complete with period car

Train crossing the Perfume River, Hue

Paddling across the Perfume River... the faint mountain ridge in the far background is the border with Laos... Vietnam is only 50km 'wide' at this point

Thien Mu Pagoda, Hue

Citadel, Hue

Hanoi

Sofitel

...Not bad! :)

Musicians, Water Puppet Theatre

Ho Hoan Kiem Lake

Football

Ha Long Bay

Cave, Ha Long Bay

The island with the cave in it... Ha Long Bay has 1,900 limestone islands, characterised by sheer sides and lush vegetation

Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum, Hanoi... He's embalmed in a glass coffin like Lenin, but you can't photograph him!

Former governor's residence which became Ho Chi Minh's residence... He didn't like it and built a humble traditional wooden house next door!

Confucian Temple, Hanoi

Market, Hanoi

Narrowest building in Hanoi

Recycling collection, Hanoi style

Opera House, Hanoi

Sofitel from street

The lake

One of many beautiful colonial buildings

The Nam Hai, Hoi An

After 2 weeks touring we finished with 4 nights at the stunning Nam Hai in Hoi An, probably the best resort we've stayed at anywhere in the world and one of the 'Leading Small hotels of the world'

We had a 1-bed villa which entials actually 2 detatched buildings (sleeping area and living area) with front and back lawn and a pool overlooking the beach out front... as you can see, it was a craphole ;)

Dining table, sleeping area

The 'Infinity Pool' (it does end eventually, rest assured)

·
Batik
4,749 Posts
beautiful Vietnam and awesome photos Tubeman :eek:kay: :eek::eek:

·
9,243 Posts
Hey. I just took another look at your photos that one hotel room with the flat screen TV is really beautiful ,are all the hotels like that? :)

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
Thanks for all the pics Tubeman, now i dont ever need to go to Vietnam, because of the sheer load of pics you've taken :yes:

;)

so what was the highlight of your trip?

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey. I just took another look at your photos that one hotel room with the flat screen TV is really beautiful ,are all the hotels like that? :)

Hmmm maybe not all hotels... I guess the Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi is about as good as it gets. All the hotels we stayed at were excellent however.

·
Alá-lá-ô, ô ô ô ô ô ô
113 Posts
Well done - gorgeous shots. Looks like I'll have to add Vietnam to my travel list!

A few questions:

1. What made you all decide to travel to Vietnam (based on your photos, I realize this is probably a silly question . . . )?
2. Was it expensive in terms of airfare, lodging, meals, etc.? Since I wouldn't be using Pounds or Euros, I was wondering how far my measly US dollars would get me.
3. Photos can sometimes be misleading, but is Vietnam really as exotic and unspoiled as your photos would suggest?

Thanks again for posting your vacation shots - wonderful.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
excellent pics tubeman. You are quite a masterful photographer.

I feel sorry for that poor dog looking for his missing mate!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well done - gorgeous shots. Looks like I'll have to add Vietnam to my travel list!

A few questions:

1. What made you all decide to travel to Vietnam (based on your photos, I realize this is probably a silly question . . . )?
2. Was it expensive in terms of airfare, lodging, meals, etc.? Since I wouldn't be using Pounds or Euros, I was wondering how far my measly US dollars would get me.
3. Photos can sometimes be misleading, but is Vietnam really as exotic and unspoiled as your photos would suggest?

Thanks again for posting your vacation shots - wonderful.
Thank you :)

1) We (my Partner and I) have already travelled a fair bit in SE Asia and really enjoy it: before Vietnam we'd been to Singapore, Malaysia (Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Butterworth, Penang), Thailand (Kanchanburi, Bangkok, Koh Chang), and Cambodia (Siem Reap / Angkor and Pnomh Penh) all in one trip. Vietnam seemed like the next logical trip to go on: somewhere you could happily spend 3 weeks seeing the sights with some good beach resorts for R&R on the end. We still didn't really know what to expect, and there were many surprises in the landscapes and cityscapes.

2) It needn't be, but we don't scrimp. We fly Business and stay in ***** hotels simply because travelling is pretty much my number one exploit and we love spoiling ourselves and doing it in style. In total the 2 week tour + 4 night stay at the Nam Hai (incidentally where Miss Universe was just hosted) plus return Business class flights was about $17,000 (£9,000). Of course if you fly economy and stay at cheaper hotels it's much much cheaper. You can do it on an absolute shoestring, it's a popular destination for European backpackers.

3) The camera doesn't lie, but obviously I capture interesting and exotic sights and landscapes when taking photos on purpose. Vietnam is very varied, and in general much of it is very easy on the eye. There are some big industrial units starting to go up, but in general it's still very rural and in rural areas very basic. On the long drive across the Red River delta from Hanoi to Ha Long bay you pass mile after mile of traditional rice paddy with people still drawing water up from irrigation ditches by hand, contrast with downtown Hanoi and Saigon with trendy restaurants, boutiques and French-style boulevards and avenues. There are no real slums or obvious areas of grinding poverty, no beggars to speak of and generally it's a welcoming, bustling, vibrant country (as you'd expect with nearly 90 million people).

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PS I just got the second thing you said... Very drole!

Probably not so, that was in the south... they only tend to eat dog in the North

1 - 20 of 37 Posts