SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Do you expect me to talk?
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have just returned to Australia from my honeymoon in Vietnam. I spent 5 days in Ho Chi Minh City, 4 days in Danang and 4 days in Hanoi. I absolutely fell in love with the country and wish I had been able to stay longer. I have taken a lot of photos and will be updating regularly. I hope you enjoy my posts/photos and if you find that I've written something wrong or have any facts or information to share that would be great too.

My first update is from the morning I spent in District 4, Ho Chi Minh City. The food was amazing and the people were so friendly. It was one of my favourite parts of the whole trip.

http://thecitylane.com/ho-chi-minh-city-people-of-district-4/

·
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next, I take a look at the fresh food markets of Ho Chi Minh City. While Vietnam certainly does have supermarkets (I found a very nice, modern big one in Ho Chi Minh City), they are not as common as they are in other parts of the world and, when it comes to fresh produce, it seems that outdoor street and covered markets are the way people like to get what they need.

http://thecitylane.com/ho-chi-minh-city-bustling-fresh-food-markets/

·
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next is the big post. I love trying new foods whenever I travel, and think that you can learn a lot about a country and its people through its food. Vietnam has an amazing variety of food to offer, much more than just the pho and banh mi that people associate with the country.

Ho Chi Minh City is one of the best places in the country from which to sample the food of southern Vietnam, with a vast array of street carts and hole in the wall restaurants and cafes.

http://thecitylane.com/ho-chi-minh-city-food-guide/

·
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vietnam. The word, indeed the nation, has come to represent much of what a new generation of travellers seeks in a destination. Exciting, vibrant, affordable … however, for many, especially those who grew up in the aftermath of the sixties zeitgeist, the word is synonymous with the Vietnam War.

This post took me a while to write and ended up being more detailed than I had originally thought. There's a lot to think about when it comes to this topic.

http://thecitylane.com/vietnam-war-ho-chi-minh-legacy/

·
Premium Member
44,708 Posts
museums in Vietnam are for foreign tourists, locals don't go to museums

that museum area should be moved away.......
so the gate and the flag tower of the ancient citadel could once again reunited

the street cutting in between should be underground ^^

thanks for the updates....

·
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved sampling all of the food in Hanoi as much as I did the food in Ho Chi Minh City. So much diversity, and some definite differences to the food in the south. I didn't just eat street food in Hanoi, and checked out a few nicer places too. Great city, great food.

http://thecitylane.com/hanoi-food-guide/

·
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back to Ho Chi Minh City, and there isn't a particular theme to this lot of photos. They are just scenes that piqued my interest as I was walking through the streets, taking in the atmosphere of this amazingly vibrant and exciting city.

http://thecitylane.com/street-scenes-ho-chi-minh-city/

·
Banned
187 Posts
to be honest, nothing's interesting in seeing VN for a first world person. Just an average scenes like other asian countries. Life's pretty boring there, go to countryside, you'll see little farm-lands, basic transport like bicycle, cheap scooter. Go to town or city centre, you'll get too see luxury car, high rise building, expensive clothes and city crimes. this country mordenlisation's been delayed and damaged with Amerian war, french war, Khmer rouge and china war in 1980s. To sum up: it's just beginning to transform this country, Please come back in 20 years, you will see something fun, meanwhile....:D

·
Canadian Prairie boy 黄红日
9,633 Posts
shut up .

ps. correction down there vietnam war not american war . kk ?

to be honest, nothing's interesting in seeing VN for a first world person. Just an average scenes like other asian countries. Life's pretty boring there, go to countryside, you'll see little farm-lands, basic transport like bicycle, cheap scooter. Go to town or city centre, you'll get too see luxury car, high rise building, expensive clothes and city crimes. this country mordenlisation's been delayed and damaged with Amerian war, french war, Khmer rouge and china war in 1980s. To sum up: it's just beginning to transform this country, Please come back in 20 years, you will see something fun, meanwhile....:D

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
it seems to me that Lonely Planet, the tourist bilble, failed to update modern life of HN and it just leads tourists to touristy places ie old quarter stuffs

few days ago I met an old coulple at a downtown cafe they asked me how to go to a little unknown temple mentioned in lonely planet; I recomended them that Ngocson temple, Tran Quoc temple are enough for temple stuffs and they should spend time for new nice things of Hanoi such as having beer (just 5 bucks) while enjoying fantastic sunset skyline at rooftop bar of sofitel plaza or biking around westlake lotus ponds. Few days later I met them again and they apprecitated my sofitel recommendation very much:)

·
Banned
187 Posts
shut up .

ps. correction down there vietnam war not american war . kk ?
**** you...i say what i want to! first of all. what the **** any Amercan have any rights to put foot on Viêtnamese soil, let alone the French. They dont enter with a visa, they came with guns and bombs. who's the victims? your grandfathers, you fuckwit! Nowadays, you go to highland, and still see victims of the U.S. Who's the victims? the little retarded kids with orange agent affect....carried by the parent.

·
Banned
187 Posts
it seems to me that Lonely Planet, the tourist bilble, failed to update modern life of HN and it just leads tourists to touristy places ie old quarter stuffs

few days ago I met an old coulple at a downtown cafe they asked me how to go to a little unknown temple mentioned in lonely planet; I recomended them that Ngocson temple, Tran Quoc temple are enough for temple stuffs and they should spend time for new nice things of Hanoi such as having beer (just 5 bucks) while enjoying fantastic sunset skyline at rooftop bar of sofitel plaza or biking around westlake lotus ponds. Few days later I met them again and they apprecitated my sofitel recommendation very much:)
lol, are they American or european? it's nice for them to meet someone helpful like you

·
Registered
341 Posts
Actually there is a tremendous lot to see in Viet Nam for a "First World person". If in fact in 20 years it has been all modernized and is just like the rest of the world then why would anyone want to leave home to go there ?? To see the same homogenized "culture", the same buildings and houses, the same roads and products in the same type stores which they could see in their own country all the while having to learn a new language ?? Me, I'm a "First World person" and have always found many reasons to visit Viet Nam, the country side, the hamlets and villages, the rivers and coasts, and also the cities. Just my thoughts...

Regards...Rob

·
Banned
187 Posts
Actually there is a tremendous lot to see in Viet Nam for a "First World person". If in fact in 20 years it has been all modernized and is just like the rest of the world then why would anyone want to leave home to go there ?? To see the same homogenized "culture", the same buildings and houses, the same roads and products in the same type stores which they could see in their own country all the while having to learn a new language ?? Me, I'm a "First World person" and have always found many reasons to visit Viet Nam, the country side, the hamlets and villages, the rivers and coasts, and also the cities. Just my thoughts...

Regards...Rob

Hi Rob,OF course you're right here. Even, when you're out of hometown in north america, you still see things differently and interesting things in others american cities/towns. So when you get to see Viêtnam country, it's about huge huge differences things and interesting people/culture.In the earlier, I meant to talk about an average folk in the developed world, when the holiday comes they'd like to come where it'll be relaxing,fun,easy to visit...for example: japan, china....train, bus everywhere...these countries are very professional in tourism. Or Thailand is their first choice of south east asian countries because the conveniency there, Vietnam is further down the list. Now, that's majority of people. And the minority like you, who'd like to explore and see things of any conerns of the world, is still minority. I myself like to visit Nepal or mongolia oneday, though these countries are still poor. After all,holiday in Vietnam, fews came too see life after Vietnam-american war, war museum...; fews european came too see whats left over of French colonization; fews came for cheap beach resort; fews came with curious mind to see different cultures; and the majority dont bothered come,lol :lol:. I bet you had a great time there. Any troubles/ issues or weird moment you had to encounter there? you can share with the forum too lol. Hopefully you did not get to see a roasting dog on BBQ while over there :lol:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
oh my friends, too much f* in such a nice pic thread :)

actually the world is getting too small these days to be called first or third in travel

Asians may spend budget holidays in the west; Mark Zuckerberg and George Soros just did luxury vacations in Vietnam recently. its all about personal choice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts