Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Cool. When is construction supposed to be complete?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Flash, you beat me to the punch in posting some photos from our Quorum Center visit. After seeing yours I would hesitate posting mine :lol: Your photos turned out so much better than mine, not that I wasn't expecting it. Excellent quality, but please tell me it was the polarizer that brought that blue out of the sky ;) Outstanding photography, without a single glitch. Well done, Flash!!!

Let me share a few mental notes I took during our conversation:

* Reynolds & Reynolds are interested in delivering great quality, with attention to details, therefore the word "affordable" isn't exactly what they are after. Not that their units are insanely expensive, but they go after the population segment that is willing to pay the hefty price for some good quality condos. Nothing wrong, and I am glad David was honest about it. Given what I saw, R&R have every right to be proud for what they are doing.

* Quorum Center's 25% of residential units remain unsold (down from 35% last time I was up there); the demand for smaller units isn't there, like many of us might like to believe. 2-3 bedroom units sell easier and some buyers combine 2 units into one to come up with a larger condo.

* As of the time of our meeting with David, the final design of Reynolds Tower 1, as well as its height, was not known even to him and his father. The architects were scheduled to meet with David about 30 minutes after we left, presenting to him the new details. Therefore, any speculations on the final size remain just that. R&R still shoot for a 30-ish tower.

* David talked to us about a strange rule that the city has in place when it comes to logos on the top of the buildings. This explained some similarities between the tops of Two Progress Plaza and Highwoods/RBC Centura Tower. For as long as the city has that rule in place, we will be seeing similar designs and lots of flat tops :(

* The demand for office and residential space in the Reynolds Tower 1 is high and the developers are finalizing the deal for the boutique hotel. Reynolds Tower 2 is still a solid vision. David was optimistic about the Hillsborough Street project and based on his input the city officials are behind him. His only complain was that the city pushes for retail space RIGHT NOW, although the demand for retail on this part of downtown is not strong. He mentioned that Reynolds Tower 1 will be built in a way that future retail may be added on the ground level, but from the sounds of it the city presses them to include retail before the project even breaks ground. From a developer's standpoint this is not an incentive. Remember what happened with Palladium Plaza (formerly The Yardborough) :(

@krazeeboi: Construction is supposed to finish this summer. The office space has been sold/pre-leased and 75% of the condo units are sold. The biggest challenge is selling the 1-bedroom units, which I mentioned about earlier.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Nice photos...looks like they will have a great view and get a front row seat to watching the skyline change over the years.

Seeing the photo of the DH Hill Library at State brings back lots of memories....spent lots and lots of time in that building....I have a nice skyline shot from up there that I took in 1994...and from that angle the skyline looks pretty much the same now as it did then.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
uptownliving said:
I have a nice skyline shot from up there that I took in 1994...and from that angle the skyline looks pretty much the same now as it did then.
Sad, isn't it? Have you scanned that image? Please feel free to share it with us. If anything, it will have a "historic" value some day.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
You ain't going to see them, Flash... Mine are NOWHERE near as good, and not deserving posting. My mistake: I used UV Filter... In some instances it may be good, but in this case it ruined everything :( The good news, we hit similar angles and therefore I can safely say that our mission was successful. At least I saw many of the things you saw, and this is a good start :eek:kay:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Flash: Great pics as always. It's really cool seeing everything in the background; Wake med, Highwoods, Dorton etc etc. Wonder how visible Soleil will be from here.

Ernest: of course they are worthy of posting! (If we all only posted our "Flash-Quality" pictures, there would be a lot fewer photothreads.) Your pics are already good, and I'll guarantee you'll pick up something new every time you go out shooting.

I really like how this building looks, It really is a nice building and would fit in almost anywhere. Also the views are going to be great with nothing blocking the view of the core for a while.

Its interesting how small Glenwood towers and the Paramount appear from Quorum, but that part of town is only going to get denser. (Also you can see the site work for 222 Glenwood in that picture.)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
romec, you are very kind, but the truth is Flash has already covered all the angles. There is no point showing again what's already shown here. If I find something worth posting I promise to share it with y'all. As for the building, it is top quality :eek:kay:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts