SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 5141 Posts

·
i am megi
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bienvenidos a la Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan, Ilocos Sur!
Naimbag nga Isasangbayyo dagiti Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan, Ilocos Sur!
Maligayang Pagdating sa Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan, Ilocos Sur!

UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE CITY

Local and foreign experts describe Vigan as a "place like no other". Its uniqueness lies in its historic townscape which is an architectural blend of Asian, European and Latin American influences. Being the only surviving colonial town in the country, Vigan has more strung along the narrow streets of the old Mestizo District, popularly known in the olden days as Kasanglayan (Chinese Quarters).

Located in the Northern part of the Philippines, Vigan is 408 kilometers northwest of Manila and includes area of the China Sea as a buffer zone on the western side of the town.

Vigan, earlier known as " Ciudad Fernandina" from 1758 to late 19th century, is the oldest surviving Spanish colonial city in the country. It has auspiciously escaped the bombs of World War II unlike its sister cities, Manila and Cebu. How and why it has survived the wrath of war is a fascinating story on its own.

Vigan brings images of antiquated houses, cobbled narrow streets, calesas and friendly faces peering out of large windows; a place where "time stood still". Yet, despite all the romantic images this place provokes, much is still unfamiliar about Vigan.

The name came from the Ilocano word "kabiga-an" pertaining to the plant "biga" abounds. Biga is a tuberous plant (alocadia indica) that once grew along the banks of its rivers.

Vigan was once a thriving center for trade and commerce among the people of Ilocandia and the Cordilleras. It is situated at the delta of the Abra River (now the Mestizo and Govantes Rivers) going to the South China Sea. This position at the mouth of the river most probably afooded its existence as it was a fluvial harbor connected to the China Sea, making trade possible with other islands and with China.

Today, Vigan was recently included in the prestigious UNESCO World Heritage List in December 1999 and converted into a component city last January 21, 2001. In partnership with the government of Spain, the Vigan Master Plan is in the process for the revitalization of the historic Vigan.

·
i am megi
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see. but you know it's too good to be boxed with other Ilocano cities, or any philippine city really. :) let's see.

·
i am megi
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if they can expand this city/district and construct more bahay-na-bato's with the same antique architecture, build a large museum somewhere along the cobblestoned Crisologo street, beautify/expand the Plaza Salcedo, redesign/reconstruct Vigan Cathedral, put more museums, shops, cafes, hotels in the same old architecture and in turn, will encourage more Migrants/Filipinos to this City,

we can make it our Florence, our own little Europa.

·
i am megi
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Animo said:
In terms of colonial structures what other city still has its Spanish flare?

aren't you from the Philippines too?

I guess after Vigan, it's Intramuros, Manila of course. and then Taal, Batangas, then Carcar, Cebu.. and yea, Silay, Negros Occidental.

·
I'm Watching You
8,700 Posts
manileño said:
aren't you from the Philippines too?

I guess after Vigan, it's Intramuros, Manila of course. and then Taal, Batangas, then Carcar, Cebu.. and yea, Silay, Negros Occidental.
I am Filipino, but I am not familiar with others besides Vigan and Intramuros.

:hammer:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Finally, there's a thread on this, it's funny how it became about so late for such a historic and beautiful village zone in the country!

·
Registered
608 Posts
no mac-do though, please, it's gross and we need to put our own first!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Animo said:
In terms of colonial structures what other city still has its Spanish flare?

manileño stated true areas with it's famous spanish/old-world flare, but the truth is that many places throughout the country are made up of spanish/hispanic designs but they aren't spoken of or aren't designated as known areas for this. They can be today's everyday towns and rural areas that are naturally spanish-filipino in character (400 yrs of spain!), but it's not extreme like a Vigan or Intramuros, so that's why they're not recognized. The spanish-filipino setting character is just a part of everyday life. Even some parts of the major cities have pieces of the colonial times as well.

·
I'm Watching You
8,700 Posts
ThisFire said:
manileño stated true areas with it's famous spanish/old-world flare, but the truth is that many places throughout the country are made up of spanish/hispanic designs but they aren't spoken of or aren't designated as known areas for this. They can be everyday towns and rural areas that are naturally spanish in character (400 yrs of spain!), but it's not extreme like a Vigan or Intramuros, so that's why it's not recognized. The character is just a part of everyday life.
Yeah, I was looking for a Vigan-type village or something outside Luzon.

Here is a cool picture:

These buildings are located just across from San Agustin Church and are examples of the architecture left behind after the Spanish colonial period.

·
i am megi
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
drfeelgood17 said:
Nice pics - Vigan looks very atmospheric - especially at night! I hope the local government is doing its best to preserve it from careless developers!

i hope it's not just preserved. i hope it expands and grow into a bigger city /centrepiece of Phil. architecture, arts and history. That more people especially artists and writers move in to this city, (i would, someday) and build more heritage houses/buildings, museums, etc.

like a Florence in the making..

or even something that would look like this:

That is Guanajuato, Mexico by the way. another colonial/heritage city.

1 - 20 of 5141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.