Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
That's great that's he's for the people of Los Angeles.... My support goes to the Mayor, thanks John & Ken Show!!!!! :righton:

"This land is your land, this land is my land from California to ???? Luv it!!!

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
Amen^^

·
Banned
20 Posts
I really hope we can replace him next election. Who else is running? Probably a bunch of other losers, but anyone even Weiss would be an improvement.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i just think if your going to do an immigration rally you shouldent do it on the day the soviet union used to drag nukes through red square.

Kinda pisses some hardcore americans with memories off.

But Vilragosa is a strange guy, i think hes too much for the spanish speaking population, which while growing, NEEDS TO LEARN ENGLISH CUZ YOU ARE IN AMERICA NOW.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
you mean that nation with no national language?
oh... well then i believe "cuz" is not apart of the american language aswell.

i see so many people here operating with completely normal lives and not knowing a word of english [well maybe hello]. so why force them to learn one language, is it so that you can feel more comfortable when they speak next to you?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Hey I manage without speaking a word of English. I need to take ESL classes so I can communicate with main stream America...

·
Registered
80 Posts
you mean that nation with no national language?
oh... well then i believe "cuz" is not apart of the american language aswell.

i see so many people here operating with completely normal lives and not knowing a word of english [well maybe hello]. so why force them to learn one language, is it so that you can feel more comfortable when they speak next to you?
Not learning the language of the country you live in is just about the most arrogant, ignorant thing I can imagine. I can understand if it's difficult for someone to pick up a new language, but making no effort (as you've suggested) is just arrogance in its ugliest form.

Europeans have always considered it arrogant of Americans to show up everywhere expecting people to understand English, so how much worse is it for someone to LIVE in America and not even attempt the language?

Both my parents picked up English when they were in their mid to late 20s, and they grew up with a language not even remotely similar to English. I simply don't understand why you would think its not necessary for someone to adapt to country they live in.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
...NEEDS TO LEARN ENGLISH CUZ YOU ARE IN AMERICA NOW.
:eek:hno: I'm sorry? Last time I checked Latin AMERICA was in America also, and they speak Spanish there btw :)

BTW, I'm not saying that they shouldn't learn English, because I think they should, I'm simply correcting your apparent lack of knowledge

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thing is, I don't think it's any stretch of the imagination to say that the most immigrants who have lived here long enough DO learn the language, and those that haven't yet are in the process. I just find it ignorant when people say there's no reason for them to even make an attempt, simply because they can manage without it.

America has only been around a few hundred years. We're not a nation with a homogenous history and ethnic makeup. To be American IS to be of a culture forged people of many different ethnicities and backgrounds. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I believe that purposefully not learning the language of a country you live in means that you don't want to share your culture or interact with people outside of it. It's counter to what it means to be American, at least to me.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Not learning the language of the country you live in is just about the most arrogant, ignorant thing I can imagine. I can understand if it's difficult for someone to pick up a new language, but making no effort (as you've suggested) is just arrogance in its ugliest form.

Europeans have always considered it arrogant of Americans to show up everywhere expecting people to understand English, so how much worse is it for someone to LIVE in America and not even attempt the language?

Both my parents picked up English when they were in their mid to late 20s, and they grew up with a language not even remotely similar to English. I simply don't understand why you would think its not necessary for someone to adapt to country they live in.
sure, they can attempt. but make it a requirement? now thats just silly

1 - 20 of 46 Posts