Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that infrastructure projects of Vilnius deserve a separate thread. For other projects in Vilnius visit VILNIUS - Full Summary of Projects ‎thread.

Lets start with the biggest question: Do we need a new type of public transport system in Vilnius? If yes then what kind of system is the best for Vilnius? Tram, metro, tram with underground parts...?
So far we made the biggest work in making tram studies and planning tram network. But with new municipality and new mayor it seems that we are fogetting what we have done and we'll now make studies for metro system in Vilnius. It seems to me that situation which we have now in Vilnius with choosing new type of public transport system is just a game of politics. Ex mayor of Vilnius supported tram and I think that his oponent current mayor of Vilnius announced that they'll make metro studies on purpose. He didn't want to support the ideas of his oponent. Ofcourse afterall maybe it's not bad to have all kind of studies and to actually see the pluses and minuses of all systems. The bad side is that we'll be discussing and "playing" for a long time. I think that we'll not start realising anything atleast before ~2010 year.
So as I mentioned, new mayor expressed his opinion that metro is a better solution for Vilnius and they'll order metro studies. The mayor was talking about metro which will go underground at the city center and oldtown, while in other places lines will be on the ground. The ex mayor replied that in tram studies there were also such posibilities foreseen for tram to go underground in sections where there will be such need.

Personally I agree that at the city center (esp. oldtown) tram/metro or whatever should be undergroud. Undergound lines will not make much harm to oldtown as overground ones and will not take space of current streets.

The company "Rentinys" (I mentioned about it earlier at VILNIUS - Full Summary of Projects ‎thread) keeps promoting metro. They presented their ideas at exhibition "RESTA 2007". Some photos from their website www.vilniausmetro.lt

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Construction update of southern highway.
Download the map with marked infrastructure projects:
http://www.vilnius.lt/bplanas/files/files/Sprendiniai2/9_1 tinklo pletra m50000_2.jpg (6,3 MB)

The southern highway is marked with number 1 on the map. Some data:
Lenght: 2,9km of new road, 4km of reconstructed road.
It'll have few viaducts, short tunnel under railways, viaduct for pedestrians, 5km of walls from noise, etc.
Investments: 77 mio EUR.

Photos by Mantaz from http://www.miestai.net/forumas/
Viaduct to Laisves prospect over traffic ring:

Another viaduct over Naugarduko street:

Other photos:

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Till 2010 water route in Neris river will be prepared and six "docks" with winter port will be built. This is small project (about 6 mio EUR + private investments) but really quite interesting and deserves to be mentioned.

Currently situation with usage of Neris river for tourism is really bad. Only one ship "Riga" is used. Photo by deepas from http://www.miestai.net/forumas/

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last update for today. Viaduct at intersection of Gelezinio Vilko/Ukmerges streets. It'll have three lines and will be used for traffic from city center. In the map of infrastructure projects (which I posted above) it's marked as No 5.
Renderings:

As you'll see it's almost completed. Photos by FeO from http://www.miestai.net/forumas/

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
I have some questions about metro/fast tram. How long would the lines be? How much track would be underground? What is the estimated cost for metro and for fast tram? I know studies are being made but maybe there are already some numbers...

·
RS
410 Posts
Where is really differecne between metro or underground tram, ??

In my mind;

Underground tram too can bee 4 car train, the same as metro
Metro can bee third rail (powered) and overhead wires lik undergropund tram too.

So really Porto is enough big city but dont get metro, but underground tram, Vilnius even is smaller then Riga and wants metro ?

So where is this point, to build a one or second typ of system,

Eny way I better like full metro and also it can go overground without problems.

I houpe that Vilnius will get metro, and I tink it will bee first in Baltics.

·
always on
4,826 Posts
/\ yep its kinda weird really, Vilnius is, well, not the densest capital in the baltics... it is also a centrical (i.e the city forms around the city core). Not the ideal situation for a metro...
as for Riga, riga is bigger, and much denser in the city centre.
Tallinn on the other hand is not centrical, in that its stretched along the coast, meaning it would take one line to serve alot of passengers.

not to mention Vilnius has hills here and there that would make construction of the stations a little more complicated.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Does there is some unnofical plans or was fow underground tram in Tallinn ?
In the Soviet times there was a plan to build a fast tram line to the biggest commieblock district in Tallinn. This line would have been underground in the centre of the city. But in the beginning of the 90s, a research was made which showed that building the line underground was too expensive and wouldn't be profitable.

·
always on
4,826 Posts
/\ well they would have gone ahead with it if the soviet system had not collapsed.
Btw, the lasnamäe tram line that well get now is still going to be underground in some places in the city centre, theres just no way around it.

Illustration of a fast-tram(light-metro) station at todays City centre location (under the Tartu road extension basically)

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where is really differecne between metro or underground tram, ??
Well, when I heard more about plans by our new municipality, it seems that they plan fast tram with underground part in the city center. But they call it "metro" just to make difference from earlier tram plans by their political oponents. Well atleast I think so. The mayor said that car units will be similar to trams by size and they will go underground in city center/oldtown. Ofcourse what we'll get in reality is still unknown. Lets wait few years and we'll see. ;) Maybe we'll get just simple tram or maybe even we'll get nothing. :)

@Rebasepoiss: There are some calculations by "Rentinys" for metro but I don't think that these calculations are reliable. For tram, it was counted that one simple (without any underground parts) 10km line could cost about 450-580 mio LT (130-170 mio EUR). Ofcourse I found the data on the PR site of tram so real numbers could be bigger.

·
DoM
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update of Laisves prospect-Ateities street-Ukmerges street junction with new viaducts. Drawing:
Posted by Ginthus from tinkle.miestai.net

On the map (which I posted above) It's marked with number 6.

Photos by SPX from tinkle.miestai.net

Not sure if such photos are interesting for you? :) I guess some of these objects should look much more interesting when constructions will advance further.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts