SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
It looks quite impressive, i'm waitin till Registru centras will rise;)

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Can someone summarize The New City Center project overall? How big (square meters of construction), commercial versus residential components, timeline for development, tranportation links, etc.. Looks very nice and very ambitous in terms of the numbers of buildings.

·
in action
2,120 Posts
DrT said:
Can someone summarize The New City Center project overall? How big (square meters of construction), commercial versus residential components, timeline for development, tranportation links, etc.. Looks very nice and very ambitous in terms of the numbers of buildings.
Hey,

Center of Registers and Vėtrūna towers: 24 and 16 fl, 62 000 m2
Hansabank HQ: 16 fl, ~20 000 m2
Telecom Tower: min. 12 fl. ~20 000 m2
Kvartalas project: Vyrokas building to be extended to 24 fl ~20 000 m2, another tower ~30 fl and some minor ones should be built beside. The dates are unknown yet.
There are other projects close to the current highrise cluster, but I can't remember all of them and their details.

For infrastructure, there are plans to build a bridge crossing the river Neris and build a new ~3-4 km street crossing the new city center. There are as well plans to build few tram lines crossing this area.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mantaz said:
There are as well plans to build few tram lines crossing this area.
When do you think trams will be seen in Vilnius?

I am a huge proponent of trams, I love them. Trams pass my office window all day long. Some of my favourite cities I have been to have trams: Melbourne (my home town), Zagreb, Munich, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, New Orleans ....

Hopefully Vilnius will get trams soon, I think they add a lot to a city and are the best form of urban transport available.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sabunjar: where do you reside now, if you don't mind me asking? I totally agree with you re: trams. I love them and hope to see them in Vilnius before next decade. Environmental and financing studies are underway at the moment.

·
Registered
674 Posts
varlamas said:
Sabunjar: where do you reside now, if you don't mind me asking? I totally agree with you re: trams. I love them and hope to see them in Vilnius before next decade. Environmental and financing studies are underway at the moment.
I live in Melbourne, Australia. But am heading for a holiday to Europe in a weeks time which will include a few days exploring Vilnius & Lithuania. I will also be visiting a number of other cities blessed with trams which include Berlin, Stuttgart, Krakow & Zagreb. I like to see the different kinds of trams various cities have. Am eager to check out the new TMK 2200 trams in Zagreb.

Here is an unabashed plug for the new Croatian built 'low-floor' tram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CROTRAM

I reckon these would be perfect for Vilnius and will come cheaper than some other Euro built trams. They have been in service in Zagreb for a number of months so far and all reports are fairly positive thus far.

:cheers:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love the way that visualisation is obviously not in Vilnius :) I can't wait for the trams, they are my absolute favourite means of municipal transport as well (although I do also love underground railway, but coming from London I'm more used to that, whereas trams have some kind of romantic, continental connotations for me)

·
Registered
674 Posts
whatever... said:
according to our municipality, first line should go u/c next year
Do you know if they will go for standard-gauge or narrow gauge tracks ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Svajoklis said:
I can't wait for the trams, they are my absolute favourite means of municipal transport as well (although I do also love underground railway, but coming from London I'm more used to that, whereas trams have some kind of romantic, continental connotations for me)
We have an extensive train network (like a German S-Bahn) in Melbourne but the centre of the city has an underground line that does a 'loop' of the Central Business District. So if you want to get from one part of Melb to another, part of the trip will invariably be underground.

Don't mind the trains, but trams are so much better when travelling in the city centre or the inner city areas, it is far better being above ground on street level and watching the traffic & pedestrians go by and you have the added benefit of seing landmarks visually if you aren't certain where to get off.

Yes trams also have a more continental European connotation for me.

Melbourne has one of the largest tram networks in the world and combined with some fine public architecture and parks from the 19th century (they were able to build quality projects back then due to the gold-rush fueled prosperity in Victoria) it gives Melbourne a decidedly European feel. Sydney has a far more North American ambience about it.

I hope Vilnius gets trams soon, will be a great addition to that city !!!

Melbourne trams

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sabunjar — I wholeheartedly agree with you on sharing the same hope. BTW, the street shot of Melbourne looks a bit like Market Street in San Francisco, except that we have historic trolleys running down that thoroughfare.

Whatever... — where have you heard about construction starting next year?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts