SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the title should lead you to guess what I am talking about: Vimy Ridge. Just a few weeks ago, marks the date of the battle for Vimy Ridge that occured on April 9th, 1917. It was almost 100 years ago, on a miserable stormy April morning, Canadian soldiers stormed and conquered an important ridge in France. The French failed, the British failed, however, our brave farmboys prevailed.

I think a movie should be made about this remarkable WWI battle. I have heard that a movie was made before, in the 80's I believe. I love history and I would love to see a film about this battle, which also proved our soldiers were the finest on the Western Front, and the most feared by the Germans.

Lest We Forget, for we may never owe so much again.

What do you all think?

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
I think that would be more amazing than anyone could comprehend.

WHAT GODAMN MOVIES come out of America showing a massive Canadian force?
Or even a f*ing allied force with like Aussies and shit?

Like come on, the world does not revolve around the American military, never has and never will.

I would PISS if I saw a GREAT movie showing what Canada did in either WWI or WWII, or both. Canada played a HUUGE role. The biggest to scale with any nation both wars.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oaronuviss said:

Like come on, the world does not revolve around the American military, never has and never will.

I would PISS if I saw a GREAT movie showing what Canada did in either WWI or WWII, or both. Canada played a HUUGE role. The biggest to scale with any nation both wars.
Exactly. I don't think a film could be anymore patriotic considering that many view it as Canada's greatest battle and where we really became a nation. The great empire of Britain couldn't conquer the ridge for the first few years of the Great War, nor could the French. However, our Canadians did it in one try, and not without a cost either. Many perished.

Maybe if a Canadian director decided to film it... it could be a movie that unites our country even more than it already "is".

I think the title "Vimy: A Nation Is Born" is pretty good. That's what I think anyway.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A movie would be a great idea, a much better idea then that hollywood movie about Paul Bernardo which is coming out soon.

·
Registered
436 Posts
crazyjoeda said:
A movie would be a great idea, a much better idea then that hollywood movie about Paul Bernardo which is coming out soon.
They should make a combo movie : Our soldiers storming Paul Bernardo's cell. And maybe a sequel where CSIS shows Homolka that we aren't so bad at asassinations either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That would be great but what about doing Juno as well. It seems that people forget that there were 5 beachs in Normandy that were invaded on D day. Of those the US had 2, UK had 2 and we little ole Canada had 1 as well. This is probably one of the greatest military battles of history and there we were a tiny county holding up more than its share to help the world. That is something that we should all be proud of.

No that this is mentioned let the feds go back to giving us a great military again. One that can atleast defend our ocean borders. We wont have one that can take on the US, but we need one that can at least defend us from ocean attacks can be deployed anywhere we need it to go for peacekeeping at a moments notice and can fight and defend the north.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Canada defineatly needs a stronger military again there's no doubt aboooot it.

Jar, let's make the movie ourselves. haha

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
big W said:
No that this is mentioned let the feds go back to giving us a great military again. One that can atleast defend our ocean borders. We wont have one that can take on the US, but we need one that can at least defend us from ocean attacks can be deployed anywhere we need it to go for peacekeeping at a moments notice and can fight and defend the north.
Definitely.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Oaronuviss said:

That is so true, take that film with Tom Hanks at D Day, according to that the British and Canadians played no part, in fact in any American War film, British, Canadian or Australian soldiers played no part at all, it was all Americans.

Which is fine for the American's if they want some cheap propaganda - the sad thing is there are lots of kids growing up in Commonwealth countries who get thier history from these films who don't realise what efforts / achievements their countries achieved in the recent past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts