Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts
G

·

Ponsonby eyesore Soho Square is set to be transformed with a multi-million dollar residential and retail development. The site, bought by Progressive Enterprises in 2011, will include two separate precincts - the Cider Building which will house a Countdown Supermarket, retail and office building, and Vinegar Lane featuring town houses, terrace houses, small apartment buildings and boutique office buildings. Progressive Enterprises will be contributing $90 million to the development. The project is expected to take a year to build if resource consent is gained from Auckland Council. Soho Square was originally the site of a yeast manufacturing plant before a $250m project was announced in 2006 which was supposed to bring apartments, offices and shops to the area. But in 2009 the developers went into receivership and work on the site stalled, and the site became a target for vandals. The new project represents a "radical departure from former development proposals for the site", Progressive Enterprises property development manager Brady Nixon said.

"We have endeavoured to create a high quality development and architectural precinct in what is known as an eclectic and popular part of Auckland." The Cider Building will have four levels of office space measuring 6600sqm above a 4360sqm Countdown supermarket. Nixon said the supermarket, would be built in a ''modern and sustainable way, with wider aisles, larger fresh produce departments and a range of environmental initiatives such as energy efficient lighting and refrigeration to help minimise the store's carbon footprint". "The building will also feature five car parking floors below ground level, including 220 dedicated car parks for the supermarket and 950sqm of speciality retail space along the street edges and a cafe." He said the design of the building was modern. It would be clad in raw concrete, quartz zinc and evergreen glass. "The design aspiration for the project has been to make it look and feel like it's part of the existing street and characteristics of Ponsonby.

We believe we've been able to achieve a design that connects to what you can see in any small Ponsonby street." The Vinegar Lane name acknowledges the site's former life as the DYC Vinegar factory. The precinct will be created around a small cobbled laneway and will feature a private landscaped courtyard. "The precinct will contain a carefully planned mix of commercial and residential buildings with clearly defined architectural and urban design expectations," Nixon said. "The completed outcome will be a diverse neighbourhood of town houses, terrace houses, small boutique apartment buildings and boutique office buildings where no two buildings look alike." Nixon said some work had already been undertaken at the site including the replacement of temporary fencing with permanent wooden hoardings, remedial work to repair retaining walls, pumping the water out of the site, earthworks to refill the southern part of the site and the removal of old foundations. Interest in the development has been very strong with over half of Vinegar Lane sites pre-sold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see that they have started repaving the area, looking at those pics it definitely needs it ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Terrible quality but if you look at this plan, it looks as if Rose Road, leading off Williamson is going to be pedestrianised - how amazing will that be :)
That lane at top left looks like the service lane for trucks. I.e. like muggers alley by the scene apartments. :(

Here are all the renders in high res if you want to update:
http://www.progressive.co.nz/our-co...eases/plans-revealed-for-ponsonby-development

Doesn't look like there is anything pedestrianised other than the inner courtyard (which is private?). Ample amounts of on street parking though. Why does Vinegar lane even need vehicle access?

That said it's much better overall than I expected. At least it's not just the usual Countdown box and looks to have a lot of nice mixed use. Be good to see the hole getting filled up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That lane at top left looks like the service lane for trucks. I.e. like muggers alley by the scene apartments. :(

Here are all the renders in high res if you want to update:
http://www.progressive.co.nz/our-co...eases/plans-revealed-for-ponsonby-development

Doesn't look like there is anything pedestrianised other than the inner courtyard (which is private?). Ample amounts of on street parking though. Why does Vinegar lane even need vehicle access?

That said it's much better overall than I expected. At least it's not just the usual Countdown box and looks to have a lot of nice mixed use. Be good to see the hole getting filled up.
Thanks for the link, looking at that plan Rose Street will become a plaza and I am hoping that The Williamson Cafe will spill out into the plaza :cheers: ... Wouldn't it be amazing if we didn't have cars at all :colgate:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, thats the angle road by the pub! Cool - that will be awesome. :banana:
I can hardly believe that this is the same city that I moved to 7 years ago ... now they are THINKING :colgate: I look forward to seeing the plans for Ponsonby Road :cheers:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Actually a bit unimpressed, five levels of parking and there is still on street parking. It appears that there is still too much separation between commercial and residential buildings e.g. this is the commercial segment and this is the residential part.

Lastly why only 4 floors, should really be 5 or 6.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I also find that keeping on street parking yet also building 5 underground levels of parking pretty silly. But I hope this serves as a model of how a supermarket can be integrated into a development rather than a big box surrounded with carparking a la the one on quay street or the one at the other end of Williamson ave.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It appears that there is still too much separation between commercial and residential buildings e.g. this is the commercial segment and this is the residential part.
Not at all ... many of the renders show shops or offices at ground level :cheers:

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
The architecture looks good...it's a nice "mixed use" style and I like the overall bulk/scale (a little extra height on corners would be OK tho).

Any new lanes are good, but it's a pity that Vinegar Lane is closed off at half-way by a service depot. It could have punched right through site and also made a direct pedestrian link (through a shop) to Ponsonby Road, making this very large site a lot more permeable and interesting.

Connecting through the existing shops to a decent bus stop (next to Western Park) might help a little bit in avoiding a traffic situation like that of Two Double Seven.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The architecture looks good...it's a nice "mixed use" style and I like the overall bulk/scale (a little extra height on corners would be OK tho).

Any new lanes are good, but it's a pity that Vinegar Lane is closed off at half-way by a service depot. It could have punched right through site and also made a direct pedestrian link (through a shop) to Ponsonby Road, making this very large site a lot more permeable and interesting.

Connecting through the existing shops to a decent bus stop (next to Western Park) might help a little bit in avoiding a traffic situation like that of Two Double Seven.
It won't surprise me if site 3 has a through-link to the hotel courtyard (which is linked to Ponsonby Road). I wish that we could see the plans. How about asking them Sam or proposing it to them :colgate:

1 - 20 of 216 Posts